Thread: Well, that didn't work as well as the Bears hoped.

Well, that didn't work as well as the Bears hoped.

In 2013 the Bears were lauded for taking a huge step to fix their O-line issues by signing two-time pro-bowler Jermon Bushrod to a 5 year, $36M contract. In 2013, by all accounts he played well. In 2014, at times people asked, "What's wrong with Bushrod?" In 2015 he was injured and didn't play when not.

Yesterday, the Bears released him with 2 years left on the 5 year contract. They will take a $4.4M cap hit this year. Total cost - $22.7M to the Bears.

Bushrod.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Nice paycheck for Bushrod. Heh

But they aggressively went out and signed a free agent to fix a problem. How could that have gone wrong?
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    But they aggressively went out and signed a free agent to fix a problem. How could that have gone wrong?
    I do recall some fans asking why the Packers didn't do something like that. The year the Bears signed Bushrod, 2013, was the same year that GB moved Bulaga to LT, which lasted only until he tore his ACL at the Family Night scrimmage. Newhouse and and Barclay fought it out for RT, with Barclay being the winner and starting 14 games. Luckily, that was the year Bakhtiari was drafted. But in the off season, it was discussed that Bushrod and Bulaga would have made a nice set of starting tackles.

But, injuries can't be predicted; and Bushrod has had back, shoulder and concussion problems in Chicago. I'm not sure how much better the Packers will be for having invested a lot in Bulaga. He has missed a lot of games, and it looks like his injuries have affected his play.

It's the Bears, it's not like they make great decisions. Like getting rid of Greg Olsen or Brandon Marshall just to name a few.