Thread: colin cowherd's kickoff fix...

colin cowherd's kickoff fix...

I think it is a great idea. I'd add one more advantage to his list: there will be a more skillful and interesting kicking game as kickers try to drop balls into holes inside the 15 yard line, much like punting.

The only minor quibble is that kickoffs could actually become more brutal. There are few plays as dangerous as an onsides kick - kickoff teams try to smear vulnerable players as they attempt to corral a bouncing football. If we see several onside kicks every game, we'll understand more.

But I green light this change.

I fail to see how this is a solution. It borders on lunacy IMO, because it basically means a team should try an off-side kick VIRTUALLY EVERY TIME. Also, does he honestly believe it takes an NFL athlete 50 yards to get up to full speed?

My solution? Make the kickoff returns FLAG FOOTBALL instead of TACKLE FOOTBALL. While other injuries will still occur as often in this format, I think this would greatly reduce the number of helmet-to-something hits from guys running full speed at each other and lowering their heads to make a tackle. I'm sure the kickoff format would need to be tweaked slightly to make flag football work with roughly the same outcome as we had previously with tackle...but I believe it could be done while still preserving the content of the play to a large extent. I know it sounds like sacrilege, but I believe that is the only way to truly reduce the head injuries while not entirely tricking up the process of kicking off.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Make the kickoff a negotiation. Home team (or coin flip) gets to propose a kickoff spot. Visiting team can choose to accept a kick from that spot OR kick it themselves from that spot.

Gives home team incentive to push the kickoff forward but not too far or they will get a kick sent to them from same spot.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

mike pereira likes it and is going to take it to the nfl.

https://youtu.be/x_N8W6b1cyc

Gamblin' Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    My solution? Make the kickoff returns FLAG FOOTBALL instead of TACKLE FOOTBALL. While other injuries will still occur as often in this format, I think this would greatly reduce the number of helmet-to-something hits from guys running full speed at each other and lowering their heads to make a tackle.
    How about leave it tackle football but have the players not wear helmets. No one in their right mind would launch themselves into another player the way these guys do if they didn't have the helmet for a weapon and protection.

OK , what if the Kicker kicks off from a to be determined point on the field . If he can put the ball through the goal post , then the receiving team would then start from the 10 or 15 yd line. If he misses, then the receiving team would start from the 25 or 30 yd line. The Kicker and the officials would be the only ones on the field for this play. In addition , wind, weather or any other conditions under-which the Kickers would face would be determined by the opening coin toss and the luck of the day. Also the kicker must wear a helmet and can have a holder if the official orders one (if the ball will not stay up to be kicked ) .

A fair distance that is not a giveaway or an impossibility would need to be agreed upon by the owners for these Kickoffs . Kickoffs returns would not occur, but punting and punt returns would still be a major part of the game.

Alright guys , now don't beat me up too bad now .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Give the kicking team a point if the other team takes a touchback.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

If kickoffs are bad, but punts are not, require that the ball be punted from whatever appropriate spot; unless an onside kick is to be attempted, in which case a tee is used and the kick comes from the 50. The only thing sacrificed is the "surprise" onside kick, but there aren't a lot of those anyway.

Start from the 20 after scores. If the scoring team wants to try an onside kick, have them roll a die, and if it comes up "1" then they recover at their own 45. On any other roll the receiving team gets the ball at kicking team's 45.

Before the game, select a random fan from each team. Prior to the game starting, have the juggs gun shoot a ball up in the air a total of five times to each fan (typically a 35 - 45 yard punt from the gun depending on wind). The starting position after each kickoff is determined by how many balls were caught by the respective fan.

Catch 5 = 50 yd line
    Catch 4 = 40 yd line own territory
    Catch 3 = 30 yd line own territory
    Catch 2 = 20 yd line own territory
    Catch 1 = 10 yd line own territory
    Catch 0 = 1' line own territory

Each game's random fan would be determined on game day morning by a random draw with various categories. Categories include drunken fan, senior citizen fan (age > 80 yrs old not eligible, female fan, kid fan (age < 12 yrs old not eligible), person not dressed appropriately for weather conditions fan and so forth.

Not only would this provide great entertainment, it's a more sound concept than some of the ideas floated in this thread

Many of you ass clowns are offering sarcastic solutions - at least I take them as tongue-in-butt-cheek. But I really think the boredom of kickoffs calls for a change. I take all kicking game plays, including punts, as an eating or pissing opportunity. One can always rewind if the announcer gets excited as you exit the tv room.

Gamblin' Rat
    We're making great progress here.

dice, fans, lol. time to delete thread.

If safety is the consideration, move the kickoff location up to the 45 or even 50; Throw a bone to the receiving team by bringing it out to the 30 on touchbacks; And de-incentivize onside kicks by making it necessary for the ball to travel 15 instead of 10 yards. Most of the time, the kicking team will just kick it out of the endzone.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If safety is the consideration, move the kickoff location up to the 45 or even 50;
    great idea!