Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Official SB 50 Game Day Thread

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    In an era where the offense is so favored by the rules, it was outstanding to see the 2 best defensive teams battle it out. Very enjoyable game.
    I agree
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Watching the worst offensive display in SB history was not enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I really didn't see a great game at all. I am for tough, physical battles...But this game was just sloppy. Drops, fumbles, turnovers, errant throws, penalties, missed calls,a coach refusing to adjust a gameplan. Certainly some talented players on both sides and both defenses were inpressive. But I saw more futility and ineptitude than I saw great play.
    All of what you are describing as "sloppy", is the result of coming up against a great defense.

Nobody figured Denver's offense was going to move the ball much against Carolina's defense; the question all along was, 'was Denver's defense good enough to shut down Carolina's offense?'. The answer to that question was, yes.

Go back and watch the tape... early throws, bad throws, getting pressed hard in the pocket, the OT's unable to contain and/or control Denver's DE'sk etc. Denver's defense was simply lights-out great all night. Real pleasure to watch.

wist

Look I'm not denying that Denver's D was great. But Carolina's execution and poise was terrible. 12 penalties, a handful of drops, bad passes, bad adjustments. A more disciplined effort could have overcome Denvers D. Cotchery hangs on to 2 more passes and Cam and Co just protect the ball a little bit and they win that game.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet Feb 8
    Cam Newton was hit 13 times in #SuperBowl50. He was hit an avg of 3.4 times per game beforehand and never more than 6 times this season

He got bothered quite a bit, but he also had many drops where he had time (he dropped back 41 times). He was inaccurate (even early) and had his receivers turned in a bunch of drops. He also lost Corey Brown and another WR in the game.

This wasn't the same pressure that got to Brady (20+). But he also wasn't good enough to beat it. I think Patler was right after the Packers played them, he needs to stop spraying the ball.

So good defense? Yes. Good quarterbacking? Nope.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?
    Receivers 5-7 must be ready to step up and deliver or the GM has failed utterly. The coach and QB should pick up the GM slack, but they failed utterly too.

Really, we have enough blame to go around.

And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.
    True.

There is video of Michael Oher quite literally sliding while trying to anchor against a pass rusher on the Levi stadium turf. He slides backward like he is on skates. Its remarkable that he keeps his balance. It looks like Ware is working a blocking sled.

Despite that near calamity of pass protection, Cam has time and a clear pocket. He has three receivers running out of a group. He chooses the crossing route but the DB makes a great jump and hits Olsen as the ball gets there. Incomplete.

However, because of that bunched WR group (something the Packers should have been using much more of this year) the DB cannot press at the line. Olsen is free on his release and he gets a step or two into the route after his break before the DB closes. But the ball and DB arrive at the same time. Newton was late on the throw.

The Denver D isn't just good on the edges, though the pressure obviously helps a great deal. The Denver D is good enough that it can stop a QB who doesn't throw with anticipation. Newton didn't do that enough in the game to rescue the offense. If he isn't able to run, he needs to be able to do that.