Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Official SB 50 Game Day Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 7m7 minutes ago
    Was a really odd gameplan - not very multiple, got away from some base stuff, no counters/screens/changeups
    That's what I was thinking, especially the lack of screens. What did they expect to see?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Ginn Jr. avoiding contact reminded me of the fine year Terry Glenn spent in Green Bay.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Ginn Jr. avoiding contact reminded me of the fine year Terry Glenn spent in Green Bay.
    That dude was running faster towards the sidelines than down the field.

I liked it. I liked the defensive game, the low scores. It made every offensive yard worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I liked it. I liked the defensive game, the low scores. It made every offensive yard worth it.
    I agree on Defense in general, but I hate to see offenses that can do nothing, not even adjust, to make something work. Just bashing your head against a brick wall may be great D but its not as entertaining as defeating that brick wall a couple of times.

I would settle for great D and average O.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree on Defense in general, but I hate to see offenses that can do nothing, not even adjust, to make something work. Just bashing your head against a brick wall may be great D but its not as entertaining as defeating that brick wall a couple of times.

Agreed. Both offenses felt very sloppy to me. Would have been nice to see a few sustained drives as well.
    Go PACK

What you saw was a great game. Best game I've watched in a long time. The offenses looked completely vexed b/c the defense was so spectacularly good for both teams.

As I said in another thread, to me, the most important aspect of the game was Denver's rush ends controlling both OT's; taking 1/2 the man rushes that controlled the OT and leveraged Cam into the pocket by making sure they didn't take their rushes too far upfield. Denver did this consistently; and, they consistently got pressure with four - when they sent four. On blitz's? Wade Philips was brilliant; the coverage was great... beautiful thing to watch.

And Carolina was just as good. Kuechley is great player; Norman is one of the best corners in the game; Ealy was a beast in the SB; Thomas Davis; etc, etc... Carolina's defense was great too - watching CJ Anderson battle for 90 yds... love that type of game. Very tough in the trenches...

My kind of game
    wist

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    What you saw was a great game. Best game I've watched in a long time. The offenses looked completely vexed b/c the defense was so spectacularly good for both teams.

As I said in another thread, to me, the most important aspect of the game was Denver's rush ends controlling both OT's; taking 1/2 the man rushes that controlled the OT and leveraged Cam into the pocket by making sure they didn't take their rushes too far upfield. Denver did this consistently; and, they consistently got pressure with four - when they sent four. On blitz's? Wade Philips was brilliant; the coverage was great... beautiful thing to watch.

And Carolina was just as good. Kuechley is great player; Norman is one of the best corners in the game; Ealy was a beast in the SB; Thomas Davis; etc, etc... Carolina's defense was great too - watching CJ Anderson battle for 90 yds... love that type of game. Very tough in the trenches...

My kind of game
    In an era where the offense is so favored by the rules, it was outstanding to see the 2 best defensive teams battle it out. Very enjoyable game.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    In an era where the offense is so favored by the rules, it was outstanding to see the 2 best defensive teams battle it out. Very enjoyable game.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

My kind of game
    I really didn't see a great game at all. I am for tough, physical battles...But this game was just sloppy. Drops, fumbles, turnovers, errant throws, penalties, missed calls,a coach refusing to adjust a gameplan. Certainly some talented players on both sides and both defenses were inpressive. But I saw more futility and ineptitude than I saw great play.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I really didn't see a great game at all. I am for tough, physical battles...But this game was just sloppy. Drops, fumbles, turnovers, errant throws, penalties, missed calls,a coach refusing to adjust a gameplan. Certainly some talented players on both sides and both defenses were inpressive. But I saw more futility and ineptitude than I saw great play.
    All of what you are describing as "sloppy", is the result of coming up against a great defense.

Nobody figured Denver's offense was going to move the ball much against Carolina's defense; the question all along was, 'was Denver's defense good enough to shut down Carolina's offense?'. The answer to that question was, yes.

Go back and watch the tape... early throws, bad throws, getting pressed hard in the pocket, the OT's unable to contain and/or control Denver's DE'sk etc. Denver's defense was simply lights-out great all night. Real pleasure to watch.

wist

It was a good day for the film watchers and analytics guys. But then Berman also picked this result, so who know??

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 7h7 hours ago
    Wow, by multiple metrics, tonight was the worst of Manning's 27 playoff games. 5 sacks definitely hurt.

I also can say it's been fun to watch the two worst OL's to win a Super Bowl (2008 Steelers, 2015 Broncos). Both had the #1 D.

I Muted a lot of people last night, and a couple tonight, but they mostly muted themselves. Very quiet evening.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 6h6 hours ago
    He (Oher) had two tonight, but some random dude on Twitter is going to tell me I don't do my homework.

HAD PREVIOUSLY SAID OHER TENDS TO GET CALLED FOR FALSE STARTS MUCH MORE THAN NORMAL. PANTHERS FANS SAID IT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM AT NEUTRAL SITE.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Watching the worst offensive display in SB history was not enjoyable.

Look I'm not denying that Denver's D was great. But Carolina's execution and poise was terrible. 12 penalties, a handful of drops, bad passes, bad adjustments. A more disciplined effort could have overcome Denvers D. Cotchery hangs on to 2 more passes and Cam and Co just protect the ball a little bit and they win that game.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet Feb 8
    Cam Newton was hit 13 times in #SuperBowl50. He was hit an avg of 3.4 times per game beforehand and never more than 6 times this season

He got bothered quite a bit, but he also had many drops where he had time (he dropped back 41 times). He was inaccurate (even early) and had his receivers turned in a bunch of drops. He also lost Corey Brown and another WR in the game.

This wasn't the same pressure that got to Brady (20+). But he also wasn't good enough to beat it. I think Patler was right after the Packers played them, he needs to stop spraying the ball.

So good defense? Yes. Good quarterbacking? Nope.

Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?
    Receivers 5-7 must be ready to step up and deliver or the GM has failed utterly. The coach and QB should pick up the GM slack, but they failed utterly too.

Really, we have enough blame to go around.

And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.

And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.
    True.

There is video of Michael Oher quite literally sliding while trying to anchor against a pass rusher on the Levi stadium turf. He slides backward like he is on skates. Its remarkable that he keeps his balance. It looks like Ware is working a blocking sled.

Despite that near calamity of pass protection, Cam has time and a clear pocket. He has three receivers running out of a group. He chooses the crossing route but the DB makes a great jump and hits Olsen as the ball gets there. Incomplete.

However, because of that bunched WR group (something the Packers should have been using much more of this year) the DB cannot press at the line. Olsen is free on his release and he gets a step or two into the route after his break before the DB closes. But the ball and DB arrive at the same time. Newton was late on the throw.

The Denver D isn't just good on the edges, though the pressure obviously helps a great deal. The Denver D is good enough that it can stop a QB who doesn't throw with anticipation. Newton didn't do that enough in the game to rescue the offense. If he isn't able to run, he needs to be able to do that.