Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Look at all the Free Agents making plays for the Broncos

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

^ this guy has the best reviews of Starwars Ep1 through Ep3 that you will ever see.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I WANNA SHOUT THE LOUD WORDS IN BOLD TEXT! I DON"T LIKE A THING! I HAVE INTERNET ANONYMITY SO I'LL SHOUT IT HERE AND HOPE PEOPLE RESPOND TO MY TROLLING SO I CAN UNZIP WHILE MOM MAKES ME PIZZA ROLLS!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The focus on Elway's FA moves is burying the lead story here. The story where Elway's coaches got him to the big game then he made a regime change anyways. The FA moves are a symptom of that single bold decision to bring in Kubiak and Phillips who in turn brought brought in their respective toys (Daniels, Ware) as usually happens with a regime change.

There is no reason for the Packers to make such moves with the continuity of MM and Capers. They handpicked their pieces over the course of years. The real question we should be asking is would we benefit from a bold regime change like Denver did?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Just about every team (if not every team) uses FA more than TT does; so if the Packers aren't in the SB this will be a discussion topic until TT retires. I think it would be interesting to consider what the storylines in Denver would be had they lost to Carolina or NE.
    I do think TT needs to consider using TT more. I don't doubt they test the waters and ask about players (or talk to agents), but I don't think they are aggressive compared to other teams.

Most on this board agree TT needs to find upgrades at ILB and TE.
    M3 also needs to restructure his coaching staff.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    They wanted Decker back? So much so they didn't offer him a contract. And they didn't sign Vernon Davis to be THE tight end. They traded one/two 7th round picks for him, hoping he could contribute along with the 2 other Tes they had.

Don't forget Peyton had HGH on his side in 2013 as well.

Other than facts your post is spot on.
    He priced himself out of Denver. His deal was for 5 years/$15milGuaranteed/$36.5milOverall. He said, quote: "There was no official offer from (the Broncos)." The translation of which is, we gave them our demands and they would not agree to meet them. Hence, no official offer.

Sanders was signed for 3 years/$6mil/$18mil. Denver wasn't improving itself with Sanders, it was plugging a hole.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    ^ this guy has the best reviews of Starwars Ep1 through Ep3 that you will ever see.
    Leave a comment on this web zone if you want a pizza roll.

Pro-to-gon-ist.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He priced himself out of Denver. His deal was for 5 years/$15milGuaranteed/$36.5milOverall. He said, quote: "There was no official offer from (the Broncos)." The translation of which is, we gave them our demands and they would not agree to meet them. Hence, no official offer.

Sanders was signed for 3 years/$6mil/$18mil. Denver wasn't improving itself with Sanders, it was plugging a hole.
    Maybe they thought they could get comparable production/a better fit for their football team for less money? Maybe this also is an example of a non complacent, savvy GM? Your initial post is completely misleading....consolation prize implies they went after Decker and he chose NYJ....so Sanders was the backup/stopgap/,bailout move.
    Looks pretty smart now doesn't it?
    The homerism spin is funny....trying to minimize Elway's influence on the Broncos success. He built a spectacular defense, and his offense is far from decimated. The line needs work, but two pro bowl caliber receivers, solid rb tandem, and flexibility with Peyton likely to retire. Elway has done a great job Pretending he hasn't is beyond silly.

Does Elway get double credit for blowing the Elvis Dumerville contract restructuring/waiver? And then needing to sign Ware?
    They made sure to get the fax fixed before they negotiated with Ware.

Ware has been OK but they would have been even more effective with Dumervil.

But their defense didn't really take off until Malik Jackson and Derrick Wolfe grew into a pair of very good linemen. Wolfe has really been a force this year. Both of those guys (and Chris Harris) were homegrown.
    Last edited by denverYooper; 02-08-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Maybe they thought they could get comparable production/a better fit for their football team for less money? Maybe this also is an example of a non complacent, savvy GM? Your initial post is completely misleading....consolation prize implies they went after Decker and he chose NYJ....so Sanders was the backup/stopgap/,bailout move.
    Looks pretty smart now doesn't it?
    The homerism spin is funny....trying to minimize Elway's influence on the Broncos success. He built a spectacular defense, and his offense is far from decimated. The line needs work, but two pro bowl caliber receivers, solid rb tandem, and flexibility with Peyton likely to retire. Elway has done a great job Pretending he hasn't is beyond silly.
    Maybe they thought a Unicorn would make a perfect TE.

However, we do not need to speculate about the plan. They were already cap compressed (that was the genesis of the Dumerville issue) and Decker had such a monster year that the press was talking about how he was playing himself out of Denver during the season unless he took a hometown discount. Everyone knew before the end of the season that they couldn't afford all their FAs and Decker was one of the most expensive by year's end. They didn't need to chase because they knew he was gone.

The contract tells you all you need to know about their relative value.

Now Sanders has been good. And their pro personnel dept and Elway deserve credit for choosing him. But the Broncos offense has not been the same. Its not all Decker, but even terrible basketball teams have a 20 point per game player.

The point is, as Patler has been saying, that not all UFA signings are upgrades. And sometimes street FA signings work out just as well.

Maybe they thought a Unicorn would make a perfect TE.

However, we do not need to speculate about the plan. They were already cap compressed (that was the genesis of the Dumerville issue) and Decker had such a monster year that the press was talking about how he was playing himself out of Denver during the season unless he took a hometown discount. Everyone knew before the end of the season that they couldn't afford all their FAs and Decker was one of the most expensive by year's end. They didn't need to chase because they knew he was gone.

The contract tells you all you need to know about their relative value.

Now Sanders has been good. And their pro personnel dept and Elway deserve credit for choosing him. But the Broncos offense has not been the same. Its not all Decker, but even terrible basketball teams have a 20 point per game player.

The point is, as Patler has been saying, that not all UFA signings are upgrades. And sometimes street FA signings work out just as well.
    Ok that's the point. Got ut. Well I agree. It doesn't always work out this way. The point is it can. And a lot of recent champions have had significant contributions from fa signings. And a lot of us feel TT is so married to the draft/develop/resign/sign an impact free agent every 7 years model that at times it could hold us back.

Blog Entries
    If Aaron Rodgers retires and we're Ron Wolf's fart in the wind I wonder if members in here will look back and question is TT should have shot for the moon once or twice
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The focus on Elway's FA moves is burying the lead story here. The story where Elway's coaches got him to the big game then he made a regime change anyways. The FA moves are a symptom of that single bold decision to bring in Kubiak and Phillips who in turn brought brought in their respective toys (Daniels, Ware) as usually happens with a regime change.

There is no reason for the Packers to make such moves with the continuity of MM and Capers. They handpicked their pieces over the course of years. The real question we should be asking is would we benefit from a bold regime change like Denver did?
    Many on the Fox Broncos staff were headed out the door at that point anyway. JDR had spent the week before their loss to the Colts trying to get the Raiders job. Adam Gase as well was trying to land his own promotion elsewhere. Even John Fox was rumored to be interested in the Bears job before the game. There was a lot of concern that the staff just mailed it in for that loss to the Colts.

Word is that Fox was given the opportunity to stay with certain conditions but did not want to do so. His relationship with Elway had been going south and he wanted to get out

It wasn't really a matter of Elway just making a regime change because he felt that was needed. The staff had wandered and winnowed and had grown tired of working under Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    If Aaron Rodgers retires and we're Ron Wolf's fart in the wind I wonder if members in here will look back and question is TT should have shot for the moon once or twice
    Funny thing is, Ron Wolf didn't do much in the FA market after the SB win either. I have argued Wolf didn't really accomplish a lot after the SB; so I guess I would argue the same about TT if they don't make another run.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Many on the Fox Broncos staff were headed out the door at that point anyway. JDR had spent the week before their loss to the Colts trying to get the Raiders job. Adam Gase as well was trying to land his own promotion elsewhere. Even John Fox was rumored to be interested in the Bears job before the game. There was a lot of concern that the staff just mailed it in for that loss to the Colts.

Word is that Fox was given the opportunity to stay with certain conditions but did not want to do so. His relationship with Elway had been going south and he wanted to get out

It wasn't really a matter of Elway just making a regime change because he felt that was needed. The staff had wandered and winnowed and had grown tired of working under Elway.
    Gase and Del Rio were up for advancement though, did Fox start hunting for a job before the rumors started that Elway wanted to do something else?

I can see Elway saying that without Gase and Del Rio that he wasn't all in on for Fox the following year.

Gase and Del Rio were up for advancement though, did Fox start hunting for a job before the rumors started that Elway wanted to do something else?

I can see Elway saying that without Gase and Del Rio that he wasn't all in on for Fox the following year.
    There was a bizarre Glazer report before the Colts playoff game that Fox could become available for one of the open positions if the Broncos lost. That report came out prior to the game, which was strange timing, and came off smelling like Fox (or Elway) leaked something. The main point was that Fox ended up out because he and Elway didn't get along anymore.

Gase ended as Fox's OC in Chicago last year so I don't know how likely it is that he wouldn't have stayed with Fox in Denver. I do think it was a surprise that he didn't get his HC shot a year earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    There was a bizarre Glazer report before the Colts playoff game that Fox could become available for one of the open positions if the Broncos lost. That report came out prior to the game, which was strange timing, and came off smelling like Fox (or Elway) leaked something. The main point was that Fox ended up out because he and Elway didn't get along anymore.

Gase ended as Fox's OC in Chicago last year so I don't know how likely it is that he wouldn't have stayed with Fox in Denver. I do think it was a surprise that he didn't get his HC shot a year earlier.
    Gase spent a long time chasing the 49er job and then they put conditions on it he didn't like and apparently felt he couldn't accept.

I do remember that Glazer report that the coach of a successful team might be open to leaving. I just have this vague sense that there was trouble before that. But I do not remember specifics. I do know most people thought Gase was gone after the two years he put together with Manning.