Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cotchery's Super Bowl Non-Catch

Cotchery's Super Bowl Non-Catch

Here is a high-def replay from the angle that shows the nose of the ball hitting the ground and squirting up. Kinda like Dez Bryant's non-catch versus the Packers.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/qmyaz

I think its arguable that the clip is undisputed evidence of a non catch. But it doesn't have to rise to that standard. Call on field was incomplete and this tends to support that call. At a minimum, it doesn't provide enough to overturn.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-08-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Friend of mine on FB claimed that the game was tainted because of that call and thus it's an asterisk SB win for Denver. I tried calling him out on it, but he's just a friggin' drama queen and won't accept logic. Plus, he's a Cam fan and doesn't like Denver. So there's that...
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

My friend who is a Panthers fan is SUPER salty about the refs....saying this play caused Cam to go on "tilt".

Yes. Because the constant pressure had zero to do with that.

Just watched the clip. I saw Cotchery with his hand under the ball. The ball can move and still be a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Just watched the clip. I saw Cotchery with his hand under the ball. The ball can move and still be a catch.
    The hand under the ball is not magical and its not a catch all or end all. His hand is under the ball just before contact (a great effort BTW).

Then the nose of the ball hits the ground (I would not bet the farm, but pretty sure) and moves. If you use the Bert Emanuel rule, that the ball can move in contact with the ground as long as you maintain control, then the fact that it squirts loose ends the argument. Pretty sure its similar to Dez Bryant's effort in Lambeau.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The refs actually made the correct call. They made a best guess on the field and because they couldn't see it clearly in replay, they said" the ruling on the field stands" which is the correct call, because they couldn't confirm the call. Former bad ref/Bears fan/CBS shill got it wrong during the broadcast.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

BTW, Crotchery did everything he could to drop everything thrown to him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    BTW, Crotchery did everything he could to drop everything thrown to him.
    Yeah, its fitting that his best effort was on an incomplete pass.

Remember when no one could believe the Panthers lost Benjamin for the season and then cut Boykin and another vet on the last roster cutdown? Their season eventually came down to having no viable option at WR except Ted Ginn. Corey Brown and another WR got banged up in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, its fitting that his best effort was on an incomplete pass.

Remember when no one could believe the Panthers lost Benjamin for the season and then cut Boykin and another vet on the last roster cutdown? Their season eventually came down to having no viable option at WR except Ted Ginn. Corey Brown and another WR got banged up in this game.
    Maybe Funchess is as dumb as a post (or Jeff Janis), but with his talent, he should have been much more of a factor at the end of the season. Part of his lack of progress must be due to Carolina not facing anything like that Denver defense before the Superbowl, and not having any pressing need to bring him along.

But Carolina flamed out on offense because they had nothing to counter the Denver defense. In their defense (ha ha), it's just that good.

Its not a good development to have your best talent outplayed by Ginn, I agree.

Analytical football Twitter is surprised that the Panthers seemed to shed half their playbook in preparation for this game. They really did not mix it up much especially in the run game or in running Cam (QB draws or rollouts). They had to have a plan for that man coverage and heavy pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They really did not mix it up much especially in the run game or in running Cam (QB draws or rollouts).
    That's what I was saying to people watching with me - why is Cam so uninvolved?

Every town he plays in next year should line their locker room walls and tunnels with big posters of Aqib Talib.

Funny because had the Packers been playing and this was a GB receiver all this "objectivity" on here would be gone. It was a catch plain and simple, but that didn't fit into the storyline the NFL had planned for Mannings last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Funny because had the Packers been playing and this was a GB receiver all this "objectivity" on here would be gone. It was a catch plain and simple, but that didn't fit into the storyline the NFL had planned for Mannings last game.
    And they knew that if they called it incomplete that Cam would be stripped of the ball on the next play and the Broncos would recover the ball in the end zone for a TD. And Cam was in on the conspiracy when he failed to make a real attempt to recover another fumble. And those 2 Panthers who had the punt returner dead to rights but let him escape for the longest punt return in Super Bowl history? And Kubiak deciding to punt with 2:08 left in the game down by 2 scores? Don't get me started...

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    And they knew that if they called it incomplete that Cam would be stripped of the ball on the next play and the Broncos would recover the ball in the end zone for a TD. And Cam was in on the conspiracy when he failed to make a real attempt to recover another fumble. And those 2 Panthers who had the punt returner dead to rights but let him escape for the longest punt return in Super Bowl history? And Kubiak deciding to punt with 2:08 left in the game down by 2 scores? Don't get me started...
    They did, because all of the players had carefully read their scripts and knew their parts well. Why do you think they give them two weeks to prepare for the Super Bowl? Lots of studying and memorizing needed to learn their parts!

With all their talk about maintaining control all the way through going to the ground, I don't see how they could call that a catch. It went from between his hands, to on his arm to pinched between his elbow and his body. During the transition from place to place it was on the ground. Not a surprising call.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I can't believe the NFL didn't plan for Manning to play any better. An INT and 2 fumbles (1 lost)? Not exactly an award-winning script.
    Go PACK

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I can't believe the NFL didn't plan for Manning to play any better. An INT and 2 fumbles (1 lost)? Not exactly an award-winning script.
    At least he could have dove in a helicoptor-spinning TD
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    At least he could have dove in a helicoptor-spinning TD
    They took it out of the script, a last minut rewrite.. Just too risky for a guy with so many neck surgeries.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    With all their talk about maintaining control all the way through going to the ground, I don't see how they could call that a catch. It went from between his hands, to on his arm to pinched between his elbow and his body. During the transition from place to place it was on the ground. Not a surprising call.
    Somehow they called Larry Fitzgeralds a catch in the Packers/Cardinals game.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston