Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mike Sherman Success Stories: Issue #1

Mike Sherman Success Stories: Issue #1

Von Miller.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/14/v...-bowl-mvp--nfl

Sherman, the former Packers coach, replaced Dennis Franchione in 2008 at A&M and began butting heads with Miller, who wasn’t a serious student and liked to have too much fun. “He was young and immature, and he was screwing up—missing class, missing study hall, generally being a pain in the ass,” Sherman said the other day. “I kicked him out that spring. I told him, ‘Get outta here.’ I think he was shocked. He loaded up his truck and left. But I always credit his dad. If his dad had given him a soft landing and let him come home and transfer, I don’t believe he’d have won the Butkus Award and gone so high in the draft.”

Miller’s father told him he’d better go back to College Station and make this work with his coach. “I was just a 19-, 20-year-old kid,” Miller said, “stuck in the ways of my old coach. But Coach Sherman, he was 100 percent consistent across the board. Be on time, get to class, do everything right. He was the best thing that happened to me. I began to stack good days on top of good days, good habits on top of good habits. Coach Sherman was an NFL coach at a college job, and I needed to hear what he was saying. What I’ll always remember him saying to me is, ‘You can’t lead double lives.’ ”
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I'm guessing most Packerrats aren't expecting a second issue. Except Retail guy, but he's not posting so who cares.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think we could manage a 5 or 6 issue set. While he had his failings as a GM, he had more numerous successes as a coach.

1. Introduction of the short gun (until proven otherwise I consider this the precursor to the pistol)
    2. Introduction of college style power O run game (which has completely taken over the pro game-he proved no less a name than Bill Walsh wrong on this point)
    3. O line Development (has to be first or second finest unit in franchise history, no?)
    4. Harnessing Favre to a running game and some self control
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think we could manage a 5 or 6 issue set. While he had his failings as a GM, he had more numerous successes as a coach.

I didn't realize it was Sherman who broke Favre's thumb.

1. Introduction of the short gun (until proven otherwise I consider this the precursor to the pistol)
    2. Introduction of college style power O run game (which has completely taken over the pro game-he proved no less a name than Bill Walsh wrong on this point)
    3. O line Development (has to be first or second finest unit in franchise history, no?)
    5. Drafting Scott Wells!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

5. Sticking up for his player against the menacing Warren Sapp at great personal risk of bodily harm.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    5. Sticking up for his player against the menacing Warren Sapp at great personal risk of bodily harm.
    +1,000
    Go PACK

yup. Almost should get him into the Packer HOF for that!

BTW, I didn't realize before looking it up that only Lombardi, Bengston, and Holmgren are in the hall as coaches. (Curly is listed as 'Founder' )

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I didn't realize it was Sherman who broke Favre's thumb.
    Did this happen twice? Or were the Packers still having pre-season games in Madison during Sherm's tenure?

I was at a Madison exhibition game with great seats and I think he mangled his hand on a Bronco helmet. But I also remember laughing with Freeman while watching one of the linebackers dance while on the sideline. When Freeman pointed out to him that the crowd was watching the dancing and not the game, he turned around and yelled "That's right baby!" along with whatever song was playing.

But I also want to say that was Wayne Simmons, which almost cannot be right. Man the 90s were a blur.

Favre broke his thumb in 2003, the year Ahman Green rushed for nearly 1900 yards, Davenport and Fisher another 600. All three averaged 5 yards/carry, or more.
    Favre had far fewer passing attempts that year than any year in GB except his first.

Camp Randall wikipedia says the last Madison preseason game was 1999. So yes, possibly a Wayne Simmons sighting by your truly, but not Sherman as HC or Brett's broken thumb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Randall_Stadium

BTW, you do not want to remember most of the 2003 season. The wikipedia page is a house of horrors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_G...Packers_season

Here is a snippet you don't want to read:

Code:
    Round	Overall	Player		Posit	College
    1	29	Nick Barnett	LB	Oregon State
    3	79	Kenny Peterson	DE	Ohio State
    4	147	James Lee	OT	Oregon State
    4	166	Huntr Hillnmeyr	LB	Vanderbilt
    6	212	Brennan Curtin	OT	Notre Dame
    7	245	Chris Johnson	CB	Louisville
    7	253	DeAndrew Rubin	WR	South Florida
    7	256	Carl Ford	WR	Toledo
    7	257	Mark Gaulocher	P	Carson-Newman

The Stuff here and Von Millers regards for his former College Mike Sherman And Sherman kicking him In The butt 'To Grow Up". That adds to my growing respect for Von Miller.

How Mike Sherman went about being the mentor coach and laying on the pipe. If an attitude needs adjusting for the individual and from that and moreso the general strengthn of the team.

You take whatever action is necessary. You do so after taking the proper time to ensure your not selling out to either side.....act as necessary without worrying about what others think. You act as your guts tell you is necessary....and do so firmly and with your integrity in mind.

That's all good.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-15-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Favre broke his thumb in 2003, the year Ahman Green rushed for nearly 1900 yards, Davenport and Fisher another 600. All three averaged 5 yards/carry, or more.
    Favre had far fewer passing attempts that year than any year in GB except his first.
    I made a post a few years back about the number of INT's Favre threw per year, and he actually threw more that year than most of his years. I wonder if I can somehow dig it up. It was on this site, but with the overhauls since then I don't know if it's still available.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I still had the spreadsheet from the topic on my PC, but I can't find the old thread unfortunately. I hope these post in a good way. So we can give Shermie credit for a great run game, but Favre took his fewer opportunities with even more risky throws than usual. Sherman never reeled Favre in.

Code:
    Ahman Green	Year	Att	Yds	TD	Lng	Yds/Att				
    Rushing         2000	263	1175	10	39	4.5				
    	        2001	304	1387	9	83	4.6				
    	        2002	286	1240	7	43	4.3				   
                    2003	355	1883	15	98	5.3				
                    2004	259	1163	7	90	4.5		

Year	Rec	Yds	TD	Lng	Yds/Rec				
    Receiving	2000	73	559	3	31	7.7				
    	        2001	62	594	2	42	9.6				
    	        2002	57	393	2	23	6.9				
    	        2003	50	367	5	27	7.3				
    	        2004	40	275	1	48	6.9				

Bret Favre	Year	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Int	Yds/Att	Lng	Rtg
    	        2000	338	580	58.3	3812	20	16	6.6	67	78
    	        2001	314	510	61.6	3921	32	15	7.7	67	94.1
    	        2002	341	551	61.9	3658	27	16	6.6	85	85.6
    	        2003	308	471	65.4	3361	32	21	7.1	66	90.4
    	        2004	346	540	64.1	4088	30	17	7.6	79	92.4

2007	356	535	66.5	4155	28	15	7.8	82	95.7

Vikings	        2009	174	256	68	1925	16	3	7.5	63	106
    Last edited by channtheman; 02-15-2016 at 03:25 PM.

One of the finest moments of any Head Coach (Field Manager) in any Pro Sport I've witnessed in being 'the fan' for nearly six decades.

I was pissed at Sapp on that play.

I was very proud of Mike Sherman's justified anger...and post game response.

It was too bad that Mike didn't get two thumbs in Sapp's eyes. Ohh ..........the agony !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Did this happen twice? Or were the Packers still having pre-season games in Madison during Sherm's tenure?

I was at a Madison exhibition game with great seats and I think he mangled his hand on a Bronco helmet. But I also remember laughing with Freeman while watching one of the linebackers dance while on the sideline. When Freeman pointed out to him that the crowd was watching the dancing and not the game, he turned around and yelled "That's right baby!" along with whatever song was playing.

But I also want to say that was Wayne Simmons, which almost cannot be right. Man the 90s were a blur.
    Hey I was at that game. We got there late and got trapped in the same tunnel the team was taking onto the field. My wife got a chance to chat with Gilbert and Bert for a couple of minutes before the game. Somehow I missed out on that, and got stuck talking to 'sweet feet' De'mond Parker. That year the thumb injury was a sprain; 2003 it was a break of the distal phalange.

I've checked with alibi witnesses, local authorities, Wikipedia and pro-football-reference. It was August 23, 1999. The year of Ray Rhodes allowing Sherm Lewis to unleash Brett Favre's yet to develop deep passing game.

This year is nearly as sad as 2003. Only Driver and Bidwell in the draft brighten the outlook.

Plus all our thumbs hurt.

Packers won 27-12. Freeman was having fun with the crowd but the dancing linebacker could not have been Simmons. My guess is Levens or Henderson was dancing.

I've checked with alibi witnesses, local authorities, Wikipedia and pro-football-reference. It was August 23, 1999. The year of Ray Rhodes allowing Sherm Lewis to unleash Brett Favre's yet to develop deep passing game.

This year is nearly as sad as 2003. Only Driver and Bidwell in the draft brighten the outlook.

Plus all our thumbs hurt.

Packers won 27-12. Freeman was having fun with the crowd but the dancing linebacker could not have been Simmons. My guess is Levens or Henderson was dancing.
    Just look at the Packers named in your post above.

Those are all Packers I enjoyed in the Green and Gold. Every one of them took turns thrilling us !

PACKERS FOREVER !

BTW, you do not want to remember most of the 2003 season. The wikipedia page is a house of horrors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_G...Packers_season
    While 2003 ended horribly, it also gave us this

and this

and this

Go PACK

And that INT by 31 was because Shermy blew a #2 draft pick on 'em.