Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Read 'Em and Weep: 2016 Top 20 UFAs

Read 'Em and Weep: 2016 Top 20 UFAs

Burn their names into your LCD screen before your fellow posters remind you of them every other day next season.

Just remember that Danny Trevathan is on this list BELOW someone named QB Kirk Cousins.

Top 20 2016 Unrestricted Free Agents by Greg Rosenthal, NFL.com

1. Von Miller, Denver Broncos linebacker: Miller has been one of the best overall defensive players in the league since he was drafted. He's as strong stopping the run as he is coming off the edge. There's no way the Broncos will let him hit the market.

2. Josh Norman, Carolina Panthers cornerback: There's nothing like having your breakout season in a contract year. Norman has been the best cornerback in football this year and is a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate. He's not going anywhere.

3. Muhammad Wilkerson, New York Jets defensive end: Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams were splashy draft pick additions, but Wilkerson is still the best defensive lineman on the Jets. New York has played hardball in negotiations thus far with Wilkerson, but the franchise tag has to be an option here.

4. Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears wide receiver: He might not be the most refined receiver in the league, but few are better at catching deep balls. He's fourth in the league in receiving yards-per-game and topped 1,400 yards in 2013.

5. Cordy Glenn, Buffalo Bills offensive tackle: True franchise left tackles are awfully hard to find. That's why he's a strong candidate for the franchise tag.

6. Jason Pierre-Paul, New York Giants defensive end: He's still disruptive despite playing with a club over his injured hand. There has to be a chance JPP will only get better as he learns how best to play with his disadvantage, and the ceiling here is tremendous. Still, he has struggled to wrap up opposing running backs. Can he finish plays?

7. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs safety: Berry has come back from his cancer scare better than ever. Strong safety play is hard to find and Berry has the versatility teams are looking for.

8. Malik Jackson, Broncos defensive tackle: Like Norman, he's having a career year in a contract season. It's hard to find interior pass rushers like Jackson just entering his prime.

9. Olivier Vernon, Dolphins defensive end: The other Dolphins pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake has dialed up a lot of pressure over the last three years, even if he doesn't always finish the play with a sack. He's clearly an above average pass rush starter, which is going to make him a very rich man. Expectations are he'll leave Miami, who can only afford to pay so much on their defensive line.

10. Doug Martin, Buccaneers running back: He won't make the same money as the guys listed above (and below) him here because of the position he plays, but no one has helped their value more this season. Martin has gone from an afterthought to the No. 2 rusher in the NFL.

11. Bruce Irvin, Seattle Seahawks linebacker: He isn't a defense-changing talent, but he's also better than you think. Irvin is a quality versatile starter.

12. Russell Okung, Seahawks tackle: Even if Okung is only an average starter, he's going to get paid in this market. If he makes it there.

13. Eric Weddle, San Diego Chargers safety: Weddle has a skill set that tons of teams are looking for to shore up the back end of their defenses. His age (30) works against him, but few safeties have been better over the last five years.

14. Sam Bradford, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback: This season has not helped Bradford's value, yet there would be no shortage of teams willing to give Bradford a try if the Eagles don't want to re-sign him.

15. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins quarterback: Replacement level starting quarterbacks are worth plenty, and that appears to be Cousins' floor. At worst, he's a poor man's Andy Dalton with room to improve over time. He has more value to the Redskins than anyone else.

16. Matt Forte, Bears running back: One of the league's most complete backs has not shown many signs of age yet. Perhaps he should be paired with another quality option, but there's no doubt he could upgrade many backfields.

17. Andre Smith, Cincinnati Bengals right tackle: How will Smith react to getting paid big bucks (again)? While his career has included some ups and downs, Smith has often been a top-shelf starter.

18. Danny Trevathan, Broncos linebacker: Trevathan is a three-down linebacker entering his prime that can hold up in pass coverage. We're big fans of his skill set and he's just the type of above-average starter that gets paid like a superstar in free agency.

19. Janoris Jenkins, St. Louis Rams cornerback: He's steadily improved each season in the league and now is a playmaking starter.

20. Brock Osweiler, Broncos quarterback: It's hard to imagine John Elway letting his promising young starter hit the market, although this will be a tricky contract to pull off.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm sure there are a few guys on that list who will be tagged like Miller, assuming that they can't get a deal done. Which ones do you think will be allowed to get away from their teams at this point and will be playing for a new team next year?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I'm sure there are a few guys on that list who will be tagged like Miller, assuming that they can't get a deal done. Which ones do you think will be allowed to get away from their teams at this point and will be playing for a new team next year?
    First five are definite tag candidates, the others might be situation dependent. Pierre-Paul is probably not unless the cap number looks like a bargain by the time the deadline hits.

Berry and Malik Jackson are the others I could see, though like Paul, Berry might have medical red flags.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If the Broncos can't afford Malik Jackson, I'd take him in Green Bay!

If the Bears are moving on from Forte, and you were the Packers GM, would you have any interest? Would you pick him over Starks as a compliment to Lacy?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    If you could get Forte at a reasonable price, 3 years 15 million he would be such a nice weapon catching the ball out of the backfield and adding some professionalism to the backfield. He is still a threat, he just can't handle 25-30 touches a game anymore.

I am sure the Lions or the Jets will give him 45 million over 5 years and then realize he is done after one year.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Okung would make a decent backup at right tackle but he wouldn't be an improvement over the guys the Packers currently have.

Cut Peppers and sign Bruce Irvin. A younger player with some years left.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Cut Peppers and sign Bruce Irvin. A younger player with some years left.
    http://www.sportsworldreport.com/art...l-football.htm

Bruce Irvin (OLB/Age: 29): Irvin has been a staple of the Seahawks defense however his play in the past four years may not be enough to keep him on the roster. Teams will be willing to pay a lot more for Irvin than the Seahawks but he has only recorded 12 sacks in the past 2 seasons. In 2015 Irvin only started in 12 games and played in 15. He would record 38 combined tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 pass defenses, and a forced fumble. Irvin should get priced out of the Seahawks range fairly quickly. The Seahawks also elected to resign K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner to monster contracts that almost make it impossible for Seattle to offer Irvin anywhere near what he would get paid in the open market. It is likely that the Atlanta Falcons bring in Irving to work with his former defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.
    He's going to want too much money relative to his value. I think you'd be chasing production here, which to a certain extent you are with all free agents, but in this case I think it's buyer beware. Also, TT seems to like waiting for guys like Peppers to get cut so he doesn't lose a compensatory pick.

Where does Jhari Evans rank in this list? He's a recent addition to the FA class, having just been released by the Saints. He's 32, but can still play at a high level if he chooses to continue his career.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Packers should throw the kitchen sink at Miller and make a Reggie White-type statement!

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    Packers should throw the kitchen sink at Miller and make a Reggie White-type statement!
    As much as I think this would completely wreck the Packers' cap situation and cause them to be unable to resign some of their own, I'd prefer this over signing Irvin. Von Miller is waaaay better IMO.

I think TT sits tight until FA goes into week 2 or 3, and he just nibbles on the edges of FA for a player or two. This is going to be an important draft for Thompson to replace players who aren't going to be on the roster in a year or two.
    Peppers, and probably Tretter come to mind. I also think it will be hard for TT to rationalize keeping both Sitton and Lang given their ages. (See Wahle/Rivera.)

Blog Entries
    #18 IMO would be a nice fit in GB; however when it comes to early FA the mojo is "we're fine there"

Odds are most of these players will be signed far before we have anybody in for a visit
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Yeah, I'd like to see #18 too. But every linebacker the Packers have signed in FA always seems to be less than the sum of his talents.

Trevathan is a 3 down do-everything LB and I have this idea that when he shows up on the field in green and gold he will be exceedingly mediocre in every respect.

Anybody have any evidence that he is not a product of the rest of that defense?

Blog Entries
    Yup, I a big Trevathan booster.

He played at UK and is a Randall Cobb clone, but at ILB.

A real quiet leader and 3 down guy who plays hard all game and is always in position.

I saw him on UFA lists at mid season and started pulling for him to be available.

I think he'll get signed during the stupid money portion of FA and that takes him out of our scope.

Too bad, the guy is totally a Packer People and player type.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Denver is in big trouble this offseason. They can't keep Manning and they therefore can't let Osweiller go. If the can't work out that contract fast they can't go after Miller and the other guys on D. I hope Osweiller makes them use the tag on him. Then they will have to be in bidding war for everyone of their FA.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Denver is in big trouble this offseason. They can't keep Manning and they therefore can't let Osweiller go. If the can't work out that contract fast they can't go after Miller and the other guys on D. I hope Osweiller makes them use the tag on him. Then they will have to be in bidding war for everyone of their FA.
    The one thing they will do is sign Von Miller. They'll drop Manning if they have to. And they'll probably sign Osweiller for 10-12 mil if no other team overpays.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

A real quiet leader and 3 down guy who plays hard all game and is always in position.

I saw him on UFA lists at mid season and started pulling for him to be available.

I think he'll get signed during the stupid money portion of FA and that takes him out of our scope.

I could see the Bears going after him. They need new MLB and Fox brought him up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The one thing they will do is sign Von Miller. They'll drop Manning if they have to. And they'll probably sign Osweiller for 10-12 mil if no other team overpays.
    How much for Von? If I am Von I am making sure I go to FA to see what I am worth. I might still sign with the Broncos but I want to know my true value.

Manning will not be with Denver next year. I just can't figure how to value Osweiller. You can't tag him for 18+ mil for a guy who has started a handful of games. But he did well in the games so you got to figure some team will offer more than 10+ a year who needs a QB.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

DITTO THIS; REAL DEAL
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    How much for Von? If I am Von I am making sure I go to FA to see what I am worth. I might still sign with the Broncos but I want to know my true value.

Manning will not be with Denver next year. I just can't figure how to value Osweiller. You can't tag him for 18+ mil for a guy who has started a handful of games. But he did well in the games so you got to figure some team will offer more than 10+ a year who needs a QB.
    If Colin Kaepernick can be paid an average of $19M per year, and Ryan Tannehill (if he sticks) in the same neighborhood, Osweiller can't be that far behind if not the same.