Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Packers will sign at least one, probably 2 free agents starters in 2016.

The Packers will sign at least one, probably 2 free agents starters in 2016.

There is a pattern. The following either were the regular starters or regular rotational players:

2006 - Pickett (starter) & Woodson (starter)
    2008 - Chillar (sometimes starter, regular rotational player)
    2010 - Peprah (starter) & Howard Green (starter and rotational player after mid-season signing.)
    2012 - Saturday (starter) & Benson (starter until injured)
    2014 - Peppers (starter) & Guion (starter).
    2016 - ??? & ???

If they can sign that linebacker from Denver, I'd be thrilled.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Packer don't sign a few key FA starters to make a difference.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    There is a pattern. The following either were the regular starters or regular rotational players:

2006 - Pickett (starter) & Woodson (starter)
    2008 - Chillar (sometimes starter, regular rotational player)
    2010 - Peprah (starter) & Howard Green (starter and rotational player after mid-season signing.)
    2012 - Saturday (starter) & Benson (starter until injured)
    2014 - Peppers (starter) & Guion (starter).
    2016 - ??? & ???
    I sure hope you are right. They don't need to sign big name, huge payday guys. Just a few solid, go hard every down vets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If they can sign that linebacker from Denver, I'd be thrilled.
    Danny Trevathan? He's good, but I wonder if Denver will let him get away. They don't have a ton of cap space right now, and have to get Von Miller signed, but they'll free up a lot of cap space if Peyton is done.

A TE who could be a possibility is Dwayne Allen of Indy. He had a poor year statistically this year because they kept him in to block a lot, but he has some receiving ability. He's had some injuries, but was pretty good in 2012 and 2014.

So its like a cheat day on his diet?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So its like a cheat day on his diet?
    I think TT agonizes over the scathing criticisms from Bob McGinn in odd numbered years, and asks himself what he can do to make McGinn happy again. So, he goes out and signs a couple FAs who will start, and hopes beyond all hope that he receives McGinn's approval. But, Bob is a tough task master, and the following year the criticisms flow again when TT signs no one. The vicious cycle starts all over again.

Either that, or he randomly finds good value at positions of need and signs the guys.

Thanks for reminding me of Brandon Chillar.

How many of those were 'street' FA's? Peppers and Guion were, Saturday was not. TT is more likely to go for a guy who doesn't count against the supplemental draft picks.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    How many of those were 'street' FA's? Peppers and Guion were, Saturday was not. TT is more likely to go for a guy who doesn't count against the supplemental draft picks.
    Hello Mario Williams.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hello Mario Williams.
    Thought of that a while back too. If they're going to keep Peppers for 2016, they'd need to work out a contract with Williams with a low cap hit in 2016. Doable though.

That would be very nice. Contingency for Peppers falling off a cliff, for sure. Williams is 31, yeah?

E: Nope, he's still only 30. Lot of mileage, though. But then, that was true with Pep, also.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    That would be very nice. Contingency for Peppers falling off a cliff, for sure. Williams is 31, yeah?

E: Nope, he's still only 30. Lot of mileage, though. But then, that was true with Pep, also.
    Looking at William's career, I'm surprised at how few game he has missed. Only time he missed any games were his last 2 years in Houston, which I think was the toe thing. He hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons with Buffalo.

Buffalo sure ran him out of town this year though. Wonder what was up with that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

He's getting a lot of blame in the local media for playing a me first game rather than scheme. And Rex is not exactly trying to douse it with an extinguisher.

However that is usually the case with talented guys who are looking to leave, there are always questions about motivation and priorities. And Rex doesn't want to tell the public they are losing one of the best players on D.

Both Mario and Pep were UNC guys. Maybe the connection can be an icebreaker for a potential marriage.

Both Mario and Pep were UNC guys. Maybe the connection can be an icebreaker for a potential marriage.
    Mario went to NC State and got Manny Lawson and the DT drafted in the first round. Dude made a lot of people some money!

Blog Entries

Well, he's 31 Sunday. Teams tend to chase guys who played lights out against them. Super Mario had a clutch sack vs GB that was the Bills dagger in that very fugly game against us last season (2014). The Bengals went up to Buff last season & I told the locals here they would be beaten. One of the guys I watched was Mario Williams. But the Bengals didn't. Star RT Andre Smith manhandled Super Mario who had 1 tackle and just flat out disappeared.

4 Pro bowls, many off season honors, but an in and out career on balance. There are many similarities with Pep. Both are paw down DE's that long to play WIL. He can be a force out there. Misses some games with varieties of injuries. A great DE who would prefer to be a cover and sometimes blitzer WIL in a 3-4? Sounds like Pep, but he can be fiery one week, then disappear the next. Needs coaching and a scheme that helps his skill set.

We put one toe in the FA water every few years. If Super Mario doesn't go in the early rounds of vet FA, TT might dip that toe.

We are going to have to take some chances to improve on both sides of the ball. MW might be the kind of cat we take a flyer on.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I think your argument fails. Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, Peprah, Saturday and Benson were all UFAs and therefore were considered in compensatory draft pick compensation. Peppers, Guion and Green were not. Marquand Manuel, who I forgot on my initial list, was also an unrestricted free agent who started for a season. So it has been 7:3, UFAs to SFAs who were signed and became starters or regular rotation players.

I seriously doubt that their status as a UFA or SFA is a consideration at all in who he signs. But what's the difference? A free agent is a free agent. Either type supplements the "draft and develop" philosophy, doesn't it?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think your argument fails. Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, Peprah, Saturday and Benson were all UFAs and therefore were considered in compensatory draft pick compensation. Peppers, Guion and Green were not. Marquand Manuel, who I forgot on my initial list, was also an unrestricted free agent who started for a season. So it has been 7:3, UFAs to SFAs who were signed and became starters or regular rotation players.

I seriously doubt that their status as a UFA or SFA is a consideration at all in who he signs. But what's the difference? A free agent is a free agent. Either type supplements the "draft and develop" philosophy, doesn't it?
    I think it matters. Or at least it should especially in the case of Peppers and Guion. Its not just preventing a comp pick to us, its awarding a comp pick to a rival.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think it matters. Or at least it should especially in the case of Peppers and Guion. Its not just preventing a comp pick to us, its awarding a comp pick to a rival.
    Peppers and Guion didn't count toward draft pick compensation, but I don't get your argument. Are you suggesting that TT does or should avoid signing a player who can help because the signing might mean the Packers will get a lower compensatory pick for a player they lost? Generally it is a low pick anyway, I doubt that enters into his decision making at all, since the awarding of picks doesn't occur for a year anyway, and a lot can happen that impacts it.

As for the awarding of picks to a rival, a player worthy of draft pick compensation will be signed by someone and the rival will receive compensation anyway. What incentive is there for GB not to sign him?