Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers Re-sign Guion

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Don't think Raji will be back. Between Daniels and Guion, I don't think they'll throw that much money at a group. Plus, there's supposed to be a bumper crop at DL in the draft, and Boyd comes back to join Datone, Ringo, and Pennel.
    Guion isn't an allstar, but when he's not a knucklehead he can stand up a lineman or two. Country strong, they say. I recall him playing pretty good on a goal line stand or two.
    Yep. It was going to be Raji or Guion, but not both. Raji started out great this year, but then injuries slowed him down. Guion was the better player the 2nd half of the year.

Blog Entries
    A decent signing. Let Raji go; he's not a good fit for this defense. WE need a Gilbert Brown/Ryan PIckett kind of plugger who can handle two guys and let our sub par ILB's play so Matthews can go back to where he belongs. Yes, we need a ILB too; but we also need that plugger too
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...361483441.html

You just need more resources than the jurisdiction that confiscated it wants to muster to fight you.
    Were Guion not an NFL player with a little bit of a profile - the cops would've already spent the loot.

Far too many stories out there of average folks having their life savings, or business capital seized - never to be seen again. With cops like that, who needs robbers??
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Were Guion not an NFL player with a little bit of a profile - the cops would've already spent the loot.

Far too many stories out there of average folks having their life savings, or business capital seized - never to be seen again. With cops like that, who needs robbers??
    Quote Originally Posted by dyoop
    Nice move. The DL really seemed to come together as a unit and was a strength of the team. Guion was referred to at times as an emotional leader of the unit.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    A decent signing. Let Raji go; he's not a good fit for this defense. WE need a Gilbert Brown/Ryan PIckett kind of plugger who can handle two guys and let our sub par ILB's play so Matthews can go back to where he belongs. Yes, we need a ILB too; but we also need that plugger too
    When we had Pickett and Raji, the defense had some of its worst years against the run, as well as two of their better years in 09 and 10.

But I don't think Pickett types are as good a fit anymore with the 2-4. Young Pickett, maybe.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

guion...GOOD!

lol

The way the Packers have operated in the past, this means no Raji unless he gets no other offers from other teams.

Bye, BJ. It was good knowing you. You were solid.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Guion played pretty well from what I saw, so I like the resigning.

I want Raji back too though - and the rest of the front seven for that matter. If we kept what we have, and added a Ryan Shazier/Shaq Thompson type LB, I think we'd have a shot at being a very good defense.

Don't know what the cap implications would be - but make no mistake, investing in the front seven is an absolute must if this team is ever going to win another championship during Rodgers' career.
    wist

Guion played pretty well from what I saw, so I like the resigning.

I want Raji back too though - and the rest of the front seven for that matter. If we kept what we have, and added a Ryan Shazier/Shaq Thompson type LB, I think we'd have a shot at being a very good defense.

Don't know what the cap implications would be - but make no mistake, investing in the front seven is an absolute must if this team is ever going to win another championship during Rodgers' career.
    Don't think you'll see Raji back unless his market value in really low. Giving Raji a lot of money would create salary cap problems next year. Plus, DT may be the strongest position in this year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Don't think you'll see Raji back unless his market value in really low. Giving Raji a lot of money would create salary cap problems next year. Plus, DT may be the strongest position in this year's draft.
    I agree with that... don't think Raji will command a big contract though. I'd concentrate on resigning Neal before Raji...

And I do hope that TT comes away from the draft with a couple of really good DT's. Most importantly for the defense though, is to fill the huge void at ILB; specifically, a speed backer that can wreak havoc out of nickel alignments.
    wist

I'd concentrate on resigning Neal before Raji...
    Who first, Neal or Perry? I vacillate on that choice. As they exist today, I would probably take Neal; but, I have a feeling Perry has potential yet to reach, whereas I see Neal as all he will ever be. Perry doesn't turn 26 until April, still young with time to develop. In two or three years, he could be a better player than he is today. I don't think that is true for Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Who first, Neal or Perry? I vacillate on that choice. As they exist today, I would probably take Neal; but, I have a feeling Perry has potential yet to reach, whereas I see Neal as all he will ever be. Perry doesn't turn 26 until April, still young with time to develop. In two or three years, he could be a better player than he is today. I don't think that is true for Neal.
    I'd take Neal over Perry, but they both bring positives to the field.

Perry is tough, strong. Can effectively lock out and control OT's to set the edge. Isn't great at disengaging, but he's okay. In the nickel, he's a much better fit outside than Clay is; while at the same time, Clay is the best ILB we have on the roster. So Perry's emergence has filled two holes and helped give the defense some backbone.

On the other side, Neal is probably the most consistent outside pass rusher we have. His consistent pressure from LOLB/LDE needs to be recognized. Don't break the bank - but pay the man.

Of Guion, Neal, Perry and Raji - I'd have Raji last on that wish list.
    wist

If I knew each would be healthy, I'd take Perry. That's not the case, so I lean towards Neal.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    If I knew each would be healthy, I'd take Perry. That's not the case, so I lean towards Neal.
    Yet, Perry played a lot more games in his 4 years than Neal did in his first 4. I'm hoping Perry matures physically into a more reliable player, just as Neal did.

Yet, Perry played a lot more games in his 4 years than Neal did in his first 4. I'm hoping Perry matures physically into a more reliable player, just as Neal did.
    Perry has a little Cullen Jenkins in him. Every year he has a nagging problem. Usually shoulder, sometimes foot.

Also, Perry is better in run support on edge than either Neal or Clay, but Clay is best if he has to drop to coverage. Not close either way. Perry on edge and Clay in middle was the basic reason the run defense improved after the by week last year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'd take Perry just slightly over Neal. Its normal to watch entire NFL games without seeing an pass rusher soundly beat a tackle who knows he's coming low around the edge for a sub 2 second sack. The last two or three of them I remember seeing from a Packer have all been from Perry and they seem to be more and more frequent.

I like them both but if one of them is going to be a steal in their second contract I'd guess Perry.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'd take Perry just slightly over Neal.

I like them both but if one of them is going to be a steal in their second contract I'd guess Perry.
    That's the thing, Neal will be in his third contract, his 7th season.

Raji was pretty good. In 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Raji was pretty good. In 2010.
    Like everyone else, he started off this year like a house on fire but got banged up and slowed.

Otherwise, all the money is in base salary, offseason bonuses and weekly roster bonuses. Almost half of it, in fact, will be paid in the weekly per-game roster bonuses ($50,000 per game), as the Packers don’t want to put themselves on the hook for and potential absences. He has a pair of $250,000 roster bonuses due in May and August this year, and a pair of $400,000 roster bonuses next year as well.
    Team friendly again.

Quote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ions-new-deal/

Original source: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...deal/80496154/