Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Casey Hayward is gone to SD

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    You have to have young talent on their first contract if you want to be a contender every year. There is no other way to do it.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Well, you have to -re-sign the guys you've identified as long-term keepers, which Thompson has done. He has not, however, often signed free agents to plug holes in a more immediate manner.

And for me, Barrington/Ryan as ILB's with god knows who in reserve is a situation that needed some attention. I don't know if drafting an ILB, even in the first round, can fill the bill.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Bump, to see what people posted when Casey first left.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    IN the end, he was good year one when healthy and then banged up, unhealthy, and not nearly as good after.

We had to trust our personell dept on this one so I can't criticize any posters for apathy toward him leaving.

We had plenty of time to evaluate how good this guy was as well as his attitude.

Appears we shit the bed on this decision
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I wonder if Hayward maybe needed an additional year to completely recover from his injury problems. He had a very significant hamstring tear in 2013, then stress fractures in 2014 requiring foot surgery in the off season before 2015. Beat reporters were pretty much in agreement that he wasn't the same player in 2015 that he had been as a rookie. Maybe it just took time and another off season after 2015 to get completely healthy.

Even McGinn thought that letting Hayward go was the right decision, and he said that in Dec. 2016 as Hayward was finishing he first season with the Chargers. McGinn said that while knowing that the Packers would have been much better off if they had kept Hayward:

"At the same time, it’s incumbent upon reporters to examine the variables that were in play when the decision was made.

My conclusion is the same now as it was nine months ago. Thompson made the right call not to re-sign Hayward."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...move/94811276/
    Basically, the reasons most of us had for not being concerned have all turned negative:
    1. Shields' career ended unexpectedly.
    2. Rollins has been injured constantly for the past two seasons, and when he did play looked nothing like the rookie we saw in 2015.
    3. Randall was injured all of 2016 and showed immaturity early in 2017. He remains inconsistent but at least shows signs of having a role on the team.

Had we foreseen any of the Shields, Rollins or Randall issues together with Hayward getting past his own injury history we would have wanted him back in a heartbeat.