Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McGinn has spoken - Packers will pick Kenny Clark

McGinn has spoken - Packers will pick Kenny Clark

Over at the GBPG, the writers predict it this way:

PETE DOUGHERTY - A’Shawn Robinson
    RYAN WOOD - Reggie Ragland
    STU COURTNEY - Noah Spence

Last year, McGinn predicted that GB would trade out of the 1st round with Baltimore.
    He also predicted that Randall would be picked at #20 by Philadelphia.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Why pick him in the 1st Rnd when Fanspeak let me pick him in the 3rd?

27: R1P27
    DE KEVIN DODD
    CLEMSON

57: R2P26
    OT JACK CONKLIN
    MICHIGAN STATE

88: R3P25
    DT KENNY CLARK
    UCLA

125: R4P27
    ILB AARON WALLACE
    UCLA

131: R4P33
    DT DAVID ONYEMATA
    MANITOBA (CANADA)

137: R4P39
    DE JAMES COWSER
    SOUTHERN UTAH

163: R5P24
    CB RYAN SMITH
    NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL

200: R6P25
    WR PAUL MC ROBERTS
    SE MISSOURI STATE

248: R7P27
    RB TYLER ERVIN
    SAN JOSE ST.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Having a Kenny Peterson flashback. Is that the guys name from Ohio State that Sherm took?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Why pick him in the 1st Rnd when Fanspeak let me pick him in the 3rd?

27: R1P27
    DE KEVIN DODD
    CLEMSON

57: R2P26
    OT JACK CONKLIN
    MICHIGAN STATE

88: R3P25
    DT KENNY CLARK
    UCLA

I have no idea why the mock draft sites have such little regard for him.

They label him as a first day athlete and then he regularly drops to the last first day player taken.

Pigskin Paul likes Clark or Vernon Butler for us. Butler gets the edge in athleticism and versatility. It bothers some that Clark played unusually far off the LOS. It bothers some that Butler rarely saw or defeated double teams.

I'm hoping for a DT. I'd be okay with those two. I'd like to see Javon Hargrave later if we miss on a DT in the first.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Having a Kenny Peterson flashback. Is that the guys name from Ohio State that Sherm took?
    oh god
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Enrico Pallazzo at PFF has the Packers taking Floyd in an older mock

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-overall-pick/
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I have no idea why the mock draft sites have such little regard for him.

They label him as a first day athlete and then he regularly drops to the last first day player taken.

Pigskin Paul likes Clark or Vernon Butler for us. Butler gets the edge in athleticism and versatility. It bothers some that Clark played unusually far off the LOS. It bothers some that Butler rarely saw or defeated double teams.

I'm hoping for a DT. I'd be okay with those two. I'd like to see Javon Hargrave later if we miss on a DT in the first.
    Nowadays IMO the three qualities NFL scouts look for in virtually every DL/LB position are pass rush, pass rush and pass rush. I think they see Clark as more of a run stuffer. One analyst says he "showed a knack for batting down passes, breaking up five on the year." I like that about him, but some take it as meaning he doesn't get to the QB a lot. Plus, he's only 20 years old and may not be able to step right in and start in the NFL. I think he'll slip to #27 and might even be available at #57. But 3rd Round? Not likely.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

From Bobby:

The Packers can't even line up on defense next season unless general manager Ted Thompson uses at the minimum two and more likely three of his nine selections on defensive linemen.
    2015: Raji, Daniels, Jones, Guion (suspension), Pennel, Ringo, Gaston (dropped) [Boyd injured]

2016: Daniels, Guion, Pennel, Boyd, Ringo, William Campbell, BJ McBride

Forget McBride and Campbell. You have your two preferred starters and 3 backups including a nose. I don't see this as apocalyptically as Bob. They need a pass rush DT. I cannot see them picking 3 D lineman in this draft unless there is someone who falls and is just too good to pass up 4th round comp pick or later.

If Raji wasn't exaggerating about the money, I guess I can see them taking a nose. But I hate that this might be a need draft on the line. Never goes well.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

But I hate that this might be a need draft on the line. Never goes well.
    no kidding, right? When has a rookie DL come in and been a total stud? Even Raji at #9 was just OK in 2009. Justin Harrell: COL (cry out loud). Not counting tweeners Reynold, Perry and Neal, The Packers basically have drafted two decent lineman in the last 18 years: Raji and Daniels (Jones? is he DL or OLB?? now he's a tweener too). KGB was a tweener too, so you have to go all the way back to Vonnie Holliday. Packers suck at drafting interior linemen. You could fill a school bus with Packer DL picks, drive it over a cliff, and the organization would never know the difference.
    Last edited by mraynrand; 04-28-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: stop spell-checking tweener to tweeter!

I blame Sherm for keeping Hunt over Holliday.

I get the nose tackle issue for 4 games. A lot might be riding on Boyd's health. I could see them rolling the dice at NT for that stretch but what a gamble. I am hoping some Top 10 talent falls to Ted to save him from going need.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    no kidding, right? When has a rookie DL come in and been a total stud? Even Raji at #9 was just OK in 2009. Justin Harrell: COL (cry out loud). Not counting tweeners Reynold, Perry and Neal, The Packers basically have drafted two decent lineman in the last 18 years: Raji and Daniels (Jones? is he DL or OLB?? now he's a tweener too). KGB was a tweener too, so you have to go all the way back to Vonnie Holliday. Packers suck at drafting interior linemen. You could fill a school bus with Packer DL picks, drive it over a cliff, and the organization would never know the difference.
    Over the last 15 years, the two who contributed the most as rookies were probably Raji and CJ Wilson. Wilson played a lot in 2010 as a rookie. That's not saying much, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    One word.... NO !

NT Kenny Clark will go much later than at NO. 27.

If TT picks him and obviously McGinn hopes so....Ted will be hung in Green Bay soon upon arrival.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Gave me flashbacks to Sherman's 3 (4 depending on who you credit 2001 to) drafts in general...

2001:
    1 10 Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State
    2 41 Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
    3 71 Bhawoh Jue SS Penn State
    3 72 Torrance Marshall LB Oklahoma
    4 105 Bill Ferrario G Wisconsin
    6 198 David Martin TE Tennessee

2002:
    1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
    3 92 Marques Anderson SS UCLA
    4 135 Najeh Davenport FB Miami (Fla.)
    5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
    5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana
    6 200 Mike Houghton G San Diego State

2003:
    1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
    3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
    5 147 James Lee DT Oregon State
    5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer LB Vanderbilt
    6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
    7 245 Chris Johnson DB Louisville
    7 253 DeAndrew Rubin -- South Florida
    7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
    7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

2004:
    1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
    3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
    3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
    3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
    6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
    7 251 Scott Wells C Tennessee

I blame Sherm for keeping Hunt over Holliday.
    Where is 'ol Cleedeeus when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Lol! No kidding...the Packers do suck at drafting DL players. Heck, Bruce Clark from Penn State who may have historically been one of our better DL picks didn't even want to play for the Packers and went to the CFL instead! Most of our impactful DL players in the past 25 years came to GB via free agency. (Reggie, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Ryan Pickett, Gilbert Brown, and a couple of others.) Cullen Jenkins was signed as an UDFA so I guess that counts for a little bit. Johnny Jolly was pretty good value for a 6th Rd. pick but flamed out pretty quickly due to injuries and off field issues. Aaron Kampman had a pretty good career for a 5th Rd. pick.

I agree that Vonnie Holliday was probably the last d-lineman taken with a high pick, (First 3 rounds.) who we actually received adequate value from. Raji was ok but his career has been inconsistent and somewhat injury plagued and Daniels has been okay so far. And let's not forget the illustrious career of Jamal Reynolds who Sherman even traded up to get.

Just far too many Jonathan Browns, Kenny Petersons, Donnell Washington's, Jerel Worthy's, Khyri Thorton's, Steve Warren's, Darius Holland's, etc., etc. on that list.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 04-28-2016 at 09:59 AM.

nm

Another problem in choosing D-linemen is they might have built their reputation against weak O-linemen. How did they do the few times they played against an NFL caliber O-lineman is the big question.

That, by the way, is another rap on Clark. He did well and padded his stats against inferior competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Lol! No kidding...the Packers do suck at drafting DL players. Heck, Bruce Clark from Penn State who may have historically been one of our better DL picks didn't even want to play for the Packers and went to the CFL instead! Most of our impactful DL players in the past 25 years came to GB via free agency. (Reggie, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Ryan Pickett, Gilbert Brown, and a couple of others.) Cullen Jenkins was signed as an UDFA so I guess that counts for a little bit. Johnny Jolly was pretty good value for a 6th Rd. pick but flamed out pretty quickly due to injuries and off field issues. Aaron Kampman had a pretty good career for a 5th Rd. pick.

I agree that Vonnie Holliday was probably the last d-lineman taken with a high pick, (First 3 rounds.) who we actually received adequate value from. Raji was ok but his career has been inconsistent and somewhat injury plagued and Daniels has been okay so far. And let's not forget the illustrious career of Jamal Reynolds who Sherman even traded up to get.

Just far too many Jonathan Browns, Kenny Petersons, Donnell Washington's, Jerel Worthy's, Khyri Thorton's, Steve Warren's, Darius Holland's, etc., etc. on that list.
    KGB!