Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: THE JSO take on Ted Thompson picking DT Kenny Clark in Rd. 1 Pick NO. 27.

THE JSO take on Ted Thompson picking DT Kenny Clark in Rd. 1 Pick NO. 27.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377503551.html

Packers|NFL Draft

Packers beef up defensive line with UCLA's Kenny Clark in first round

This is edited...Please click on the LINK for the whole story.

The best player left on the board, ILB Myles Jack. A 3rd Yr. junior like Clark, they were teammates at UCLA.

Jack, however wasn't selected at all because of the meniscus cartilage knee injury from late September that doesn't look good to some team doctors.

NFL Network reported that Jack's problem is a chondral defect in the knee.

On Wednesday, Jack told the New York Post that there were degenerative issues in the knee and that microfracture surgery was a possible option.

Jack was a perfect fit for one of the Packers' two or three greatest needs, but they passed like everyone else.

Thompson wouldn't comment when asked if the team had failed Jack medically. All he would say is that he liked Jack as a player.

Comment woodbuck27:

If you've never seen video of the actual occurrence of the Myles Jack injury...I advise you don't. When I saw it ......I felt the pain....it's brutal.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    If you've never seen video of the actual occurrence of the Myles Jack injury...I advise you don't. When I saw it ......I felt the pain....it's brutal.
    You saw video of it? I thought he was injured in practice?

In Review....JSO's Ranking of DLman available in the 2016 Draft:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...376905641.html

Edited from the above article. To read the full story click the LINK.

" ... Another lopsided result was evident when the 17 scouts were asked to name the best pass rusher in the draft, regardless of position. Many scouts identified Nkemdiche almost immediately on the No. 1 bust-to-be, but there was considerable deliberation on the No. 1 pass rusher.

“It’s a tremendous draft for defensive linemen,” an NFC executive said. “But it’s probably average for pass rushers.”

In the end, Ohio State’s Joey Bosa dominated with 12 votes, whereas Shaq Lawson and Spence each had two and Ogbah had one.

In the positional polls, scouts were asked to rank their top five players, with five points assigned to first place and so on.

Nine scouts represented 3-4 scheme teams and nine represented 4-3 teams ...."

Here were the results:

Defensive end in a 3-4: DeForest Buckner, 42 points (eight firsts); A’Shawn Robinson, 27 (one); Jarran Reed, 15; Robert Nkemdiche, 14; Vernon Butler, nine; Jonathan Bullard, seven; Sheldon Rankins, six; Joey Bosa, Chris Jones and Jihad Ward, four; Emmanuel Ogbah, two; and Hassan Ridgeway, one.

Nose tackle in a 3-4: Kenny Clark, 32 (one first); Andrew Billings, 28 (three); Austin Johnson, 23 (one); Reed, 19 (three); Rankins, 12 (one); Butler, seven; Maliek Collins and Ridgeway, three; Jones and D.J. Reader, two; and Javon Hargrave, Willie Henry, Quinton Jefferson and Adolphus Washington, one.

Defensive end in a 4-3: Bosa, 45 (nine firsts); Shaq Lawson, 27; Buckner, 20; Kevin Dodd, 15; Ogbah, 11; Noah Spence, nine; Shilique Calhoun, three; Leonard Floyd and Carl Nassib, two; and Ward, one.

Defensive tackle in a 4-3: Reed, 27 (two firsts); Clark, 21 (one); Buckner (three); Nkemdiche (two) and Rankins (one), 19; Robinson, 11; Billings, nine; Butler, six; and Johnson and Jones, two.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Bob thinks he's the nose from Day 1.

In a Journal Sentinel poll of scouts regarding the best 3-4 nose tackle, Clark finished first with 32 points followed by Baylor's Andrew Billings (28), Penn State's Austin Johnson (23) and Reed (19).
    Interesting, because they means they like Guion at 5 more than nose. You have to give some credence to that opinion since Guion did a lot of work at nose the year Raji missed.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You saw video of it? I thought he was injured in practice?
    I saw the injury as it happened on the TV last evening. He was moving right to left and suddenly he became 'Gumby legged'. I more than just winced when I saw this. I played a lot of sports and have suffered sprained ankles and once broke a leg sliding into second base .....so somehow my body overreacts to such stuff Patler.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377503551.html

Packers|NFL Draft

Packers beef up defensive line with UCLA's Kenny Clark in first round

This is edited...Please click on the LINK for the whole story.

The best player left on the board, ILB Myles Jack. A 3rd Yr. junior like Clark, they were teammates at UCLA.

Jack, however wasn't selected at all because of the meniscus cartilage knee injury from late September that doesn't look good to some team doctors.

NFL Network reported that Jack's problem is a chondral defect in the knee.

On Wednesday, Jack told the New York Post that there were degenerative issues in the knee and that microfracture surgery was a possible option.

Jack was a perfect fit for one of the Packers' two or three greatest needs, but they passed like everyone else.

Thompson wouldn't comment when asked if the team had failed Jack medically. All he would say is that he liked Jack as a player.

Comment woodbuck27:

More on Myles Jack:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m-knee-surgery

Myles Jack Injury: Updates on NFL Prospect's Recovery from Knee Surgery

By Tyler Conway , Featured Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bob thinks he's the nose from Day 1.

Interesting, because they means they like Guion at 5 more than nose. You have to give some credence to that opinion since Guion did a lot of work at nose the year Raji missed.
    Interesting, too, when you look at the vote totals in Woodbuck's post. It seems Clark was #1 at NT but received just one first place vote while Billings and Reed each received three first place votes. Everyone must have ranked Clark quite high, and some must have rated Billings and Reed much lower. Solid consensus for Clark and uncertainty for the others.
    Last edited by Patler; 04-29-2016 at 09:25 AM.

I saw the injury as it happened on the TV last evening. He was moving right to left and suddenly he became 'Gumby legged'. I more than just winced when I saw this. I played a lot of sports and have suffered sprained ankles and once broke a leg sliding into second base .....so somehow my body overreacts to such stuff Patler.
    I believe that was video of Jaylen Smith's injury Buck. I saw it too and it was gruesome.

Interesting, too, when you look at the vote totals in Woodbuck's post. It seems Clark was #1 at NT but received just one first place vote while Billings and Reed each received three first place votes. Everyone other than the guy who ranked Clark quite high, and some must have rated Billings and Reed much lower. Solid consensus for Clark and uncertainty for the others.
    As I said elsewhere, I would have much preferred the trade down scenario that Seattle pulled off with Denver. I wonder if Clark might still have been available there. But then I heard on the radio this morning that Dallas was looking to trade up, so it's possible both teams contacted GB and realized there was a duel - so they had to move up to the next team to be sure to get Lynch, and GB was left out.

I know Thompson said they talked to teams but weren't really interested, but it's hard for me to believe (I don't know why) they liked Clark so much they passed on a chance to pick up an extra third round pick in order to move down four spots in the first.

To me, it's a "meh" pick. Like Patler wrote, would this have been the pick if they'd re-signed Raji? I'm guessing not.

But what do any of us know, really? Just my opinion.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Either he was the highest rated on the board, thus no interest in trading down. Or they wanted a NT is the worst way since Raji left. And the best guy for the job was still there at 27.

By this reasoning he could be Harrell or A-Rod.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I believe that was video of Jaylen Smith's injury Buck. I saw it too and it was gruesome.
    That's what I was wondering, if he was thinking of Smith's injury.

I watched it the entire play over and over the night it happened. I'm not blaming the o-lineman, because it was very close, but it did look like an injury that didn't have to happen. The play was ending and Smith let up and straightened up a bit before a lineman gave him an unnecessary shove in the back. From there he tried to check his balance and his knee took forces. Just very unfortunate timing.

Ooops !

Thanks esoxx your correct.

I wasn't totally concentrating on the TV at that time and got that confused.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Either he was the highest rated on the board, thus no interest in trading down. Or they wanted a NT is the worst way since Raji left. And the best guy for the job was still there at 27.

By this reasoning he could be Harrell or A-Rod.

Exactly. While I do wish Ted could have and would have made the trade with Denver that Seattle did, I will never know if he had the chance to do so, though the fact the Cowboys were in the game too, from what I understand, suggests that there was some competition for Lynch and the likelihood is then that Denver knew it would have to move ahead of the Cowboys and so went up to Seattle.

So it seems unlikely the Packers could've swapped #27 to Denver for #31 plus a third. I wish they could've made a swap, got an extra pick, and maybe still have gotten Clark.

But none of us know how good Clark will be. Not me, not you, not Patler nor Wist nor Ted (maybe especially Ted?).

I hope the guy is an anchor in the middle for the next ten years. I'm not jumping for joy, but I've learned not to get too disappointed, either. Last year I had no idea who Randall was and I was not too excited, but after a year it looks like the guy is a starting caliber NFL corner and maybe better than that.

We'll see.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    In slow motion it was gruesome but if you saw it live speed you probably would have missed it. It was the first time I saw the injury and after seeing it, I didn't feel that bad for him as it was non-contact.

It seems that Smith is actually in better shape heading into this draft than Jack. Micro Fracture surgery has come a long way but it isn't 100% successful.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Ooops !

Thanks esoxx your correct.

I wasn't totally concentrating on the TV at that time and got that confused.

Your TV demands your rapt unflickering attention

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    In slow motion it was gruesome but if you saw it live speed you probably would have missed it. It was the first time I saw the injury and after seeing it, I didn't feel that bad for him as it was non-contact.

It seems that Smith is actually in better shape heading into this draft than Jack. Micro Fracture surgery has come a long way but it isn't 100% successful.
    I think the nerve damage is the worry with Smith. That takes a lot of time to come back.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^
    At least he doesn't need more surgery. I get the nerve damage, but the doctors say it was just stretched not torn, but also that they have no real time table or understanding when nerves will start to regenerate or heal. Take Ryan Braun's thumb injury. They had to freeze the darn thing.

Yeah, its impossible to predict. Manning never got his strength back. It took Tramon Williams two years to get his arm and shoulder completely functional.

Interesting, too, when you look at the vote totals in Woodbuck's post. It seems Clark was #1 at NT but received just one first place vote while Billings and Reed each received three first place votes. Everyone must have ranked Clark quite high, and some must have rated Billings and Reed much lower. Solid consensus for Clark and uncertainty for the others.
    Why do I feel we got another A J Hawk? Solid, unspectacular, can play but never makes a big impact. Good but never great.

I wonder how the Pack had Ragland (and Jack) ranked? Most expected them not to be on the board by the time their pick came around. How much did their medical conditions affect decisions about them?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...