Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's Pick @ NO. 27 - DT Kenny Clark Fr. UCLA

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I am wishing they'd have traded back, maybe with Denver, and gotten that extra third that Seattle did. They still could've gotten a good defensive lineman at that spot.

But it's all just speculation. We can pronounce all we want, but nobody will really know for a couple years for sure.
    I think at least it shows that they didn't have him rated the same as the tackles taken by AZ or Carolina. IF they did, they probably trade back. But trades take two to tango - I assume Denver contacted the Packers, but maybe not.

What would have been funny is if Dallas had traded with GB before they knew the Broncos moved up.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm not sure how you can call it a reach when McGinn's ranking puts Clark as the #2 DT, behind only Reed and ahead of the likes of Robinson, Rankins, Billings, etc.
    Well those are McGinn's rankings. It's just my opinion. I don't think he's a first round talent. Most scouts had several tackles ranked higher than Clark that were still on the board. Would love to be wrong.
    McGinn actually goes off what the scouts he has access to say (and his network of scouts probably extends further than any media folks). Bob doesn't do the evaluations himself. Most of the "scouts" you speak of aren't scouts that have an NFL job, and there's a lot of group think.
    What Harvey said.

I am not a fan of McGinn's own opinion pieces, but I have always respected what he does concerning the draft. It seems that over the years he as managed to gather enough dirt or something on actual team scouts that they are willing to give him rather detailed opinions, and he filters through their conflicting remarks to achieve a combined analysis that has earned him great respect in the media. ESPN and other places refer to his draft pieces quite regularly, and he has won many awards for having the most accurate first round predictions.

As much as I dislike the bulk of McGinn's work, he really shines for a couple weeks before the draft, when he is not using his own analysis but the combined works of an apparently large and quite competent network of individuals who scout the college players for a living.

The Packers fielded calls from teams looking to acquire their choice. "We didn't ever get into a position where we wanted to pursue that," said Thompson.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I wish. He's three inches shorter than Harrell. Harrell was a super large man, even if his weight was around 300. Just couldn't get past the injuries.
    Clark is listed at 6' 3" or 6' 2 1/2" depending on where you look, ... you're saying Harrell was 6' 5 1/2"??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Clark is listed at 6' 3" or 6' 2 1/2" depending on where you look, ... you're saying Harrell was 6' 5 1/2"??
    yeah, I think so. At least 6'5" I thought Clark was 6'2"

Harrell always looked huge around the other linemen.

We're desperate for DL help, so Clark will get on the field immediately... he'll be a servicable player, but given that Billings, Robinson, Butler, Dodd, and Ragland were all still there, it's an underwhelming pick.

I liked all of those guys better than Clark.
    wist

yeah, I think so. At least 6'5" I thought Clark was 6'2"

Harrell always looked huge around the other linemen.
    Harrell was listed at 6'4, and Clark is listed at 6'3... 3-4=3?? The new math??
    wist

Harrell was listed at 6'4, and Clark is listed at 6'3... 3-4=3?? The new math??
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...H/HarrJu99.htm

I'm glad Clark is 6'3"

We're desperate for DL help, so Clark will get on the field immediately... he'll be a servicable player, but given that Billings, Robinson, Butler, Dodd, and Ragland were all still there, it's an underwhelming pick.

I liked all of those guys better than Clark.
    With his heart issue I can understand why Ragland wasn't taken in the first by anyone.

The Packers and NFL both listed Harrell at 6'4...

To me, Clark and Harrell look very similar in how they move. Similar body type, neither possessing any special traits. Clark will be a decent player; but, I liked at least 5-6 other guys better.
    wist

What Harvey said.

I am not a fan of McGinn's own opinion pieces, but I have always respected what he does concerning the draft. It seems that over the years he as managed to gather enough dirt or something on actual team scouts that they are willing to give him rather detailed opinions, and he filters through their conflicting remarks to achieve a combined analysis that has earned him great respect in the media. ESPN and other places refer to his draft pieces quite regularly, and he has won many awards for having the most accurate first round predictions.

As much as I dislike the bulk of McGinn's work, he really shines for a couple weeks before the draft, when he is not using his own analysis but the combined works of an apparently large and quite competent network of individuals who scout the college players for a living.
    Sometimes you can see the work he does to balance opinions when you see the disconnect between the headline/lede paragraph and the ranking. One of the position rankings he put out this year was three paragraphs of doubt about a guy and then in the rankings he was listed first.

You have to remember even a 1,500 word article is leaving a lot out.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Would they have made this pick if Raji had re-signed with them?
    No, not with another year to test run Pennell, Boyd and Ringo.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I know you're being facetious, but in terms of his build and movement - he does remind me of Justin Harrell.

At least we got one good season out of Hunt...

I'm thinking 1265 should just give up trying to draft DL in the 1st round... they're just not very good at it.
    Pre-injury, wasn't Harrell flashing in spurts? Considering it takes DL a year or two to develop in the NFL, that's what you look for. I still think Harrell could've been something except for his back injury.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Pre-injury, wasn't Harrell flashing in spurts? Considering it takes DL a year or two to develop in the NFL, that's what you look for. I still think Harrell could've been something except for his back injury.
    Before he hurt his back, yes. He could rag doll Guards. He wasn't Wilfork strong, but he was going to be fine one on one. Not much pass rush beside push, but he looked legit until the injuries, especially his back, went out.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    And his weight issues, and his tearing his ACL, and his torn bicep, toe fungus, hangnails...

His career is like Delta Airlines' motto: "It's always something"
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15424227

Video and commentary from some dude at ESPN.

Interview:

In his spare time he co-invented BeBop.