Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2

If they liked Clark that much, its worked out OK.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 46s47 seconds ago
    18 players drafted in the second round so far. 9 of them have been D-linemen.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Good to have a true OT on the roster even if its depth for a year.
    Teams are going to throw power at him... he'll get walked back into Rodgers' lap plenty for a year or two.

Hopefully they can bulk him up a bit, and get him stronger, b/c at this point he'll be a liability against bull rushers and in the run game.
    wist

Has anyone wandered by the nfl.com front page lately? They have a video, with sound, that autoplays, and there is no pause button! What a PITA.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I heard they like Spriggs. I thought it was a smokescreen. Nope.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 18s18 seconds ago
    Texans take C Martin from ND
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    TT will get a 7th back at some point.
    Yeah, he'll likely trade out of the 3rd round... just to piss everyone off, and load up on those 'oh so precious 7th rounders'.
    wist

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ggs?id=2555197

Overview

Spriggs excelled in his senior season, catching second-team All-Big Ten accolades along with the eyes of scouts.

The four-year starter also was named first team All-American by the Football Writers Association of America and third-team honors by the Associated Press.

Spriggs had a scary moment on the field in 2014 against Michigan State, as he was taken to the hospital after suffering a helmet-to-helmet blow. But since them he has shown the build (6-foot-7, 307 pounds), anchor in pass protection and willingness to block through the whistle to be the type of prospect NFL offensive line coaches will covet at left tackle.

Pro Day Results

Vertical: 35 inches
    3-cone: 7.57 seconds

Analysis

Strengths Athletic frame with long arms. Comes out of his stance with tremendous quickness and has elite lateral movement. Can get to extremely difficult backside cutoff blocks. Knee bender. As a move blocker, lands squarely in the strike zone and rolls hips and feet under him to to wash down defender or secure a down-block. Shows good patience in space with ability to become solid combination blocker in zone scheme. Looks to finish. Able to adjust his assignments on the fly. Is active with his hands in pass pro. Will throw jabs with both hands rather than offering them up for defensive ends to swat. Has tools to substantially slow pass rushers when timing his punch. Durable, four-year starter.

Weaknesses Play strength needs improvement. Unable to match power as a base blocker and too easy moved off his spot. Struggles to cleanly absorb and eat contact without being jostled. Has crippling issue with over-setting in pass protection. Doesn't maintain much weight on inner half of his frame and has consistent issues redirecting his weight back inside with suddenness against inside moves. Doesn't use his length to his advantage often enough. Slows his slide when punching, allowing rushers opportunity to gain advantage around the corner. Needs stronger hands to snatch and control rather than just push. Ability to recover with power or athletic traits are a concern.

Draft Projection Round 2

NFL Comparison Ryan Harris

Bottom Line Spriggs has outstanding athleticism, but his play strength and overall recovery ability are major concerns for a position as important as tackle. Spriggs followed up a strong week at the Senior Bowl with a very good showing at the combine and has solidified his standing as an early round tackle amongst evaluators. If he can improve his inside post and prevent counter moves from eating him up, he has a chance to be a solid NFL starter on the left side
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Texans:

2. NICK MARTIN | Notre Dame 6041|299 lbs|5SR Indianapolis, Ind. (Bishop Chatard) 4/29/1993 (age 23) #72
    YEAR (GP/GS) GRADE 2nd-3rd Round 2011: Redshirted MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 1/2 | Hand: 09 3/4 | Wingspan: 78 2012: (13/0) COMBINE 40-YD: 5.22 | 10-YD: 1.80 | 20-YD: 3.02 | BP: 28 | VJ: 28 | BJ: 08’01” | SS: 4.72 | 3C: 7.57 2013: (11/11) 11 OC PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only) 2014: (13/13) 3 OC, 10 LG 2015: (13/13) 13 OC Total: (50/37) 27 OC, 10 LG

BACKGROUND: A three-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Nicholas “Nick” Martin committed to Kentucky (his father’s alma mater) over Iowa early in the process, but switched his pledge to Notre Dame a few weeks prior to signing day to join his older brother in South Bend. After redshirting in 2011 and spending most of 2012 on special teams, Martin won the starting center job and started the first 11 games before a knee injury prematurely ended his season. He returned as the starting center for the Irish in 2014, but after three games, he moved to left guard due to injury and started the final 10 games there. Martin returned to his center post in 2015 as a senior and started all 13 games. He accepted his invitation to the 2016 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Solidly-built for the position…quick set-up off the snap with an assignment sound mind-set…squares well with a balanced base to absorb contact and hold his ground – able to anchor at shallow depth…natural lower body flexibility to mirror in short spaces…very effective on combo blocks, peeling off defenders and picking up rushers…veteran presence and vision, playing with a high football I.Q. – anticipates and reacts accordingly…made all the protection calls and knows how to ID defenders…two-year team captain with mature leadership traits and intangibles…graduated with a degree in management consulting (May 2015)…versatile starting experience at both center and guard…plays through pain with the fortitude for the NFL…athletic bloodlines – father (Keith) was an All-SEC defensive tackle at Kentucky and older brother (Zack) was an All-American at Notre Dame and now an All-Pro guard with the Dallas Cowboys.

WEAKNESSES: Ordinary arm length and physical features might limit his versatility in the NFL…reliable square blocker, but struggles with defenders on his edge and late to recover…can get caught lunging with his upper body, falling off blocks and ending up out of the play…not a rangy blocker and needs to improve his reliability as a puller and at the second level…room to eliminate the unnecessary penalties and play with more discipline…only had one major injury in college (knee, Nov. 2013), but also played through numerous minor issues over his career so his medical reports are crucial.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter, Martin has double-digit starts at both center and left guard on his collegiate résumé, but his best NFL fit is at center – named the Notre Dame Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2015. He was two-year team captain for the Irish with the intelligence and leadership skills both on and off the field that pro teams covet – graduated with a business degree in May 2015. Martin isn’t a powerfully dominant pivot, but is technically sound with the play awareness and desired toughness for the next level. Although not the same type of athlete or physical presence as his older brother, Martin is a high floor, reliable prospect with top intangibles (like his brother) and should play in the NFL for a long time – will compete for starting reps as a rookie.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
    IU not an OT factory: The most appearances by a Hoosiers tackle in the NFL are 146 games — recorded by Bob Skoronski, 5th-rounder in 1956.

NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 18s18 seconds ago
    Texans take C Martin from ND

I liked him in the 2nd for the Vikings....

Like the pick. I messed up when I did my best available for round 2. I had Spriggs way higher than Coleman. He would have been 3rd on my list going into today behind Ragland and H. Henry.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

OK I'm back and forth tonight.

The Toronto Raptors have a huge road game on right now.

Have a blast Packer fans and Rastak.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

LOL

Johnny ManzielVerified account
    ‏@JManziel2
    You guys act like what I'm doing is something new. I've been the same person, doing the same things since it all started.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Like the pick. I messed up when I did my best available for round 2. I had Spriggs way higher than Coleman. He would have been 3rd on my list going into today behind Ragland and H. Henry.
    Bump protection Harv?

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
    IU not an OT factory: The most appearances by a Hoosiers tackle in the NFL are 146 games — recorded by Bob Skoronski, 5th-rounder in 1956.
    Who could forget Skoronski.? A real monster at tackle.

NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 11s12 seconds ago
    Hackenberg to Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    LOL

Johnny ManzielVerified account
    ‏@JManziel2
    You guys act like what I'm doing is something new. I've been the same person, doing the same things since it all started.
    the only idiot in that whole deal is the browns for picking the clown in the first place

guy was a total train wreck in college too. it was there for the whole world to see. no excuses

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    With all the hoopla over ILB needs, I looked at 14 other teams that play the 3-4 and took a look at their starters (per the NFL depth chart). Here's where they came from:

Rd 1 - 5 (Pittsburgh has 2 of them)
    Rd 2 - 8
    Rd 3 - 4
    Rd 4 - 1
    Rd 5 - 2
    Rd 6 - 1
    UDFA - 6

So it seems the majority of the starters at ILB do come in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm surprised at the number of UDFA. But thought I would share this to help out with the discussion. This does not include the Packers, as I wanted to see where the rest of the league was. So it would appear that TT needs to put some more emphasis on those first 3 rounds for ILB. Betting on a later round or UDFA seems like hope, and hope is not a good strategy.

The Packers ILB are a 4th and a 7th.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Jets:

5. CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG | Penn State 6043|223 lbs|3JR Palmyra, Va. (Fork Union) 2/14/1995 (age 21) #14
    YEAR (GP/GS) CP-ATT CP% YDS TD INT CAR YDS AVG TD GRADE 4th Round 2013: (12/12) 231-392 58.9 2,955 20 10 49 -68 -1.4 4 MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 | Hand: 09 | Wingspan: 77 3/4 2014: (13/13) 270-484 55.8 2,977 12 15 93 -94 -1.0 0 COMBINE 40-YD: 4.78 | 10-YD: 1.64 | 20-YD: 2.82 | VJ: 31 | BJ: 09’06” | SS: 4.33 | 3C: 7.04 2015: (13/13) 192-359 53.5 2,525 16 6 66 -80 -1.2 2 PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only) Total: (38/38) 693-1,235 56.1 8,457 48 31 208 -242 -1.2 6

BACKGROUND: A five-star quarterback recruit out of high school, Hackenberg was the top quarterback recruit in the 2013 class and received scholarship offers very early in his high school career, ultimately choosing Penn State over Alabama, Florida and others – chose the Nittany Lions because of head coach Bill O’Brien and his offense. He won the starting job as a true freshman in 2013 (12 starts) and earned Thompson-Randel El Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors. He set new school records for a freshman with 231 completions, 2,955 passing yards and a career-best 20 touchdowns, earning Freshman All-America honors. With O’Brien off to the NFL after the 2013 season, Hackenberg struggled to adjust to the new coaching staff, throwing a career-high 15 interceptions as a sophomore in 2014, adding 55.8% completions and a personal-best 2,977 passing yards. He started all 13 games as a junior in 2015 and set career-lows in completion percentage (53.5%) and passing yards (2,525), but did improve his touchdown-to-interception ratio (16-to-6). Hackenberg elected to forego his senior season and enter the 2016 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Ideal physical build and height for the position…live arm to rip lasers with above average velocity and zip…effortless deep ball thrower and able to make throws other quarterbacks are physically unable to make…toughness isn’t a question with the size to take consistent punishment and bounce back…quick-footed athlete for his size to easily move in the pocket or stretch his legs and throw from different platforms – clean footwork in his three, five and seven step drops…experienced taking snaps under center with pro-style concepts…two-year team captain (second youngest player to be elected captain in school history) and viewed as a leader in the locker room…well-respected on campus, especially for the way he handled adversity with the sanctions (helped keep 2013 recruiting class together) and the struggles with the coaching change…durable and didn’t miss a start the last three seasons (21-17 record as a starter)…leaves Penn State with school records for career passing yards (8,457), completions (693) and 300-yard passing games (nine).

WEAKNESSES: Nonexistent feel in the pocket, struggling to navigate around the noise…slow to process and late reading coverages…too relaxed and needs to show more urgency from snap to release…immature eye use, staring down targets and predetermining throws, which leads to baffling decisions…wasn’t
    consistently asked to make whole field reads or work sideline-to-sideline in his progressions…upper and lower half mechanics are often on different pages, affecting his overall accuracy…doesn’t need to drive his hips to add zip on throws, but improved follow through motion will help his precision…methodical set-up and delivery, but often out of rhythm…highly inconsistent ball placement and downfield touch, struggling to control his ball speeds – completion percentage dropped each season…deer in headlights when blitzed – often sees it coming, but doesn’t make the proper adjustments pre- or post-snap…played behind a shaky offensive line (sacked 103 times in his career), but too many of those hits were of his own doing, holding the ball too long and clamming up under pressure…confidence needs rebuilt…quick-footed athlete for his size, but won’t routinely evade pressures with a bad habit of retreating and getting lost…ball security needs improved (17 career fumbles)…didn’t miss a game in college, but missed the second half of his final game (Jan. 2016) due to a sprained right shoulder – not considered serious, but needs cleared.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter, Hackenberg had a promising freshman campaign in 2013 under the guidance of Bill O’Brien, but his development regressed with the new coaches the past two seasons – both coaching staffs used traditional, pro-style schemes, mostly I-formation and under center snaps. He didn’t receive much help from his surroundings the past two years with questionable play-calling, inconsistent weapons and a leaky offensive line, but Hackenberg deserves plenty of blame as well. Although he has special arm talent, the tape shows flawed decision-making, poor pocket awareness and streaky accuracy due to unstable mechanics. There is no question that Hackenberg will benefit from NFL coaching, but the game still moves at light speed for him and hasn’t shown signs of slowing down – is he already damaged goods? Overall, the physical traits and arm strength are ideal for the NFL, but Hackenberg doesn’t show a natural feel for the game and lacks a strong grasp in three critical areas of playing the position: touch, placement and decision-making – will be overdrafted in the top-50, but the tape shows a mid-round project.

Clark was at #22 for me. Spriggs was #36.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson