Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    God, it would be so nice to land Myles Jack... do it TT... take the risk!! If you win one superbowl as a result... it's worth it!
    I'm on board with this. I have no idea what's the real situation with his medical shit. Maybe he's Da'Quan Bowers. But I trust the JAGS we've got at ILB enough to tread water and not be a disaster so I want the boom/bust pick.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

So, draft Myles "No Knee" Jack in the 2nd, Reggie "Heart Attack" Ragland in the 3rd and Jaylon "Drop Foot" Smith in the 4th, and hope you get one who can play?

(Better yet, take all three in the 4th!)

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    So, draft Myles "No Knee" Jack in the 2nd, Reggie "Heart Attack" Ragland in the 3rd and Jaylon "Drop Foot" Smith in the 4th, and hope you get one who can play?

(Better yet, take all three in the 4th!)
    They would all go great with Dom "Spraypaint Hair" Capers!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    They would all go great with Dom "Spraypaint Hair" Capers!
    ...and Damarious "Ankle Biter" Randall!

We absolutely HAVE to draft an ILB tonight, we just can't keep neglecting that position

9 of last 11 first round picks spent on defense, none of them ILB (hawk was drafted as a WLB for the 4-3)

abdul hodge was drafted in the 3rd round that same year

no other attempts at drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds, even over the last 5-6 years when it was painfully obvious that we needed to find 1 if not 2 of them

even if its jaylon smith tonight, who won't play this year, at least TT will have addressed the glaring issue for once

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'm on board with this. I have no idea what's the real situation with his medical shit. Maybe he's Da'Quan Bowers. But I trust the JAGS we've got at ILB enough to tread water and not be a disaster so I want the boom/bust pick.
    lets say jack plays 5 years before he has to retire. whos to say the guy we drafted last night doesn't screw up his neck in the next couple of years, or blows out his knee

you never know when a guys career will end

but elite talent is elite talent

and who knows, maybe jack does play 10-15 years

in the last 5 drafts, when we needed a starting quality ILB

we've spent a 6th a 5th a 6th a 7th a 4th (bradford may or not be an ILB) and another 4th last year

none of those have panned out, we need draft higher quality guys in the higher rounds. we HAVE to

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    We absolutely HAVE to draft an ILB tonight, we just can't keep neglecting that position

9 of last 11 first round picks spent on defense, none of them ILB (hawk was drafted as a WLB for the 4-3)

no other attempts at drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds, even over the last 5-6 years when it was painfully obvious that we needed to find 1 if not 2 of them

even if its jaylon smith tonight, who won't play this year, at least TT will have addressed the glaring issue for once
    Clever that you limit it to the first 3 rounds, so you can ignore Jake Ryan last year in round 4!

No; he hasn't given it high round attention; but he has drafted Manning, Smith, Barrington and a few others that you figured would get looks inside. He hasn't given center much direct attention either, or guard above the third round for that matter.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I understand the trap we keep finding ourselves in. ILB are like RB of the defense. They can start as rookies and you can get one in the 4th that is 90% of what you can get in the late 1st after all the special talents are gone if there even are any.

A guy with some medical shit is an obvious risk but it is one way out of that trap. At the moment our roster is solid enough to take that risk IMO.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Not many 3-4 ILBs go high though. There have been three 3-4 ILBs that have gone in the first 2 rounds in the last 2 years combined. 1st round picks Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley in 2014 and 2nd round pick Denzel Perryman in 2015. In a 3-4 defense the ILB might have the least priority for teams out of any position. Most of the time the second ILB isn't on the field half of the time.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Not many 3-4 ILBs go high though. There have been three 3-4 ILBs that have gone in the first 2 rounds in the last 2 years combined. 1st round picks Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley in 2014 and 2nd round pick Denzel Perryman in 2015. In a 3-4 defense the ILB might have the least priority for teams out of any position. Most of the time the second ILB isn't on the field half of the time.
    You're missing a few guys there Harv...

Anthony went to the Saints in the 1st round last year. He was listed as an ILB, but moved to the strong side in their 4-3

McKinney, who I wanted last year, went to Houston with the 43rd pick of the 2nd round

Eric Kendricks went to the Vikings with the 45th pick in the 2nd round last year

All of those guys are better than anything we have on the roster now... and would have been as good a value as Randall. TT just doesn't much care about the position.

Dollars to donuts he ignores the position again tonight.
    wist

Draft Insider has this guy rated #52 overall. Could be a TT kind of pick.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/...Cody-Whitehair

Cody Whitehair
    School: Kansas State
    Position: G

Positive: Four-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season. Spent the past two years at left tackle after lining up at right tackle and guard early in his Kansas State career. Gifted offensive line prospect with the versatility to be used at several positions. Blocks with consistent leverage, pad level and effective with his hands. Makes good use of angles, body positioning and does not back down to a challenge. Patient in pass protection, plays smart football yet also blocks with a nasty attitude. Moves relatively well on his feet and fluid if asked to pull across the line scrimmage then block in motion. Fundamentally sound, intelligent and always willing to help out teammates.

Negative: Lacks classic left tackle height. Has short arms. Occasionally overextends in the blocks. Performed poorly at the combine.

Analysis: Whitehair was a consistent performer on the college level and ranks as one of the best guards in this year's draft. He has the versatility to line up at several positions and is NFL ready with a good degree of upside.

Predict that TT will trade out of the 3rd round... just to make Packer fans wait around for a bunch of nothing - vintage Ted
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Are you ready to continue with your frustration.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Draft Insider has this guy rated #52 overall. Could be a TT kind of pick.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/...Cody-Whitehair

Cody Whitehair
    School: Kansas State
    Position: G

Positive: Four-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season. Spent the past two years at left tackle after lining up at right tackle and guard early in his Kansas State career. Gifted offensive line prospect with the versatility to be used at several positions. Blocks with consistent leverage, pad level and effective with his hands. Makes good use of angles, body positioning and does not back down to a challenge. Patient in pass protection, plays smart football yet also blocks with a nasty attitude. Moves relatively well on his feet and fluid if asked to pull across the line scrimmage then block in motion. Fundamentally sound, intelligent and always willing to help out teammates.

Negative: Lacks classic left tackle height. Has short arms. Occasionally overextends in the blocks. Performed poorly at the combine.

Analysis: Whitehair was a consistent performer on the college level and ranks as one of the best guards in this year's draft. He has the versatility to line up at several positions and is NFL ready with a good degree of upside.
    This stood out to me:

" has short arms ".....so ...

Absolutely Ted Thompson may well be all over that guy.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Predict that TT will trade out of the 3rd round... just to make Packer fans wait around for a bunch of nothing - vintage Ted
    My prediction for tonights Rounds 2 and 3 of the 2016 NFL Draft::

Whatever TT does I think most of Packer Nation's first reactionary words will be one of these:

a) Whhhhhaaaaat ..as in ...Whhhhhaaaaat the HELL !

b) Yoooouuuuuuu....as in....Yoooouuuuuuu Dumb Ass !

c) Fuuuuuuucccck ! .......... Red's neighbours will hear that scream.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    God, it would be so nice to land Myles Jack... do it TT... take the risk!! If you win one superbowl as a result... it's worth it!
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ack-in-round-2

Draft Buzz: Will anyone select Myles Jack in Round 2?

By: Around The NFL staff
    Published: April 29, 2016 at 02:19 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rom-the-browns

Cowboys trying to acquire No. 32 from the Browns

By Marc Sessler ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: April 29, 2016 at 01:20 p.m. ... Updated: April 29, 2016 at 04:28 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

We very well might see a load of trades for the first 10-16 picks tonight as there's a load of talent remaining for Round 2.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-29-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You're missing a few guys there Harv...

Anthony went to the Saints in the 1st round last year. He was listed as an ILB, but moved to the strong side in their 4-3

McKinney, who I wanted last year, went to Houston with the 43rd pick of the 2nd round

Eric Kendricks went to the Vikings with the 45th pick in the 2nd round last year

All of those guys are better than anything we have on the roster now... and would have been as good a value as Randall. TT just doesn't much care about the position.

Dollars to donuts he ignores the position again tonight.
    None of those teams play a 3-4 defense. Hence, the reason that I said a 3-4 ILB is valued less than almost every other position in a 3-4 scheme. The record stands. Half the league plays a 3-4 defense, so there are about 32 starting ILBs in a 3-4 defense and only 3 ILBs were drafted by 3-4 teams in the first two rounds the last two years combined.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    then by your rational, you HAVE to trade for one or sign a free agent. we can't just keep on going with the same shit

but i think wist is right, TT just doesn't think ILBs are all that important, even though we all know its the position that always seems to let us down the most in crunch time