Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's Pick @ NO. 48 - OT Jason Spriggs, Indiana

Everything you need to know about TT's Pick @ NO. 48 - OT Jason Spriggs, Indiana

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
    #Packers took a Big Ten OT in 2010 first round to back up Clifton, Tauscher. @BBulaga became youngest player ever to start a Super Bowl.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
    Gutekunst on Spriggs: We're really excited to get him. He can play all over the line. Very athletic. #PackersDraft

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    Brian Gutekunst: "He's very athletic. Ran really fast, benched a lot. Down at the Senior Bowl I thought he handled himself very well."

Brian Gutekunst: "The time was just right. We field calls throughout and have conversations — up, down, everything. The timing was right."

Gutekunst: "He started all 4 years. I think he missed one game in his career. I think he got a little bit stronger. Athleticism was there."

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 2m2 minutes ago
    Gutekunst: Spriggs got stronger at Indiana in four years as a starter.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 47s48 seconds ago
    Gutekunst: "I don't know if we were ever really focused on him. I think the opportunity to move up presented itself."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 25s25 seconds ago
    Gutekunst: "I think this was just a chance to take a really good player we liked."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 15s15 seconds ago
    Gutekunst on Kenny Clark: "He has some dominant traits on tape sometimes. ... He is a playmaker on the inside, which is hard to find."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8m8 minutes ago
    Indiana converted 92 percent of the time on third-and-short runs to the left behind Spriggs, one of the top rates of the OT class.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Indiana converted 92 percent of the time on third-and-short runs to the left behind Spriggs, one of the top rates of the OT class.
    How many of those runs were by Jordan Howard?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 7m7 minutes ago
    Spriggs on being selected by #Packers: There are no words to describe the excitement. #PackersDraft

Spriggs says it's "huge" that he can learn from GB's established front five.

Spriggs said he met wtih GB at Combine and Senior Bowl. Combine was biggest meeting.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
    Spriggs: Looking forward to learning the "tricks of the trade" from veteran #Packers O-line. #PackersDraft

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
    Spriggs said he wasn't disappointed after last night. "I really just want to get to a club where I fit well."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 7m7 minutes ago
    Spriggs: "With a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers, there's a whole new level there that I haven't seen. I'm really excited to get a chance."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 7m7 minutes ago
    Spriggs: "When I first stepped foot on campus I was about 245-250. I'm up to a little over 305 now. All the time in the weight room."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
    Spriggs: "I'm just glad to be part of the Green Bay organization. I was trying not to hold any expectations as to where I was going."

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 19s19 seconds ago
    #Seahawks had been know to be coveting Spriggs for quite some time. Trader Ted one-upped them. Well done. #Packers

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 3m3 minutes ago
    Scout on Spriggs: "A thin-framed guy so he falls off blocks. More of a zone guy in terms of lateral quickness. I wish tape matched body."

Another scout from @BobMcGinn's draft series on Spriggs: "He'll get overdrafted because he's a workout guy. I just do not like Spriggs."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
    Scout from @BobMcGinn's draft series on OT Jason Spriggs: "Works out like Tarzan. If you watch him work out, you love the guy."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 9m9 minutes ago
    Spriggs: "I got some basketball offers from some small schools." Said football is what he loved, and that's what he wanted to play.

nm

TJ Lang ‏@TJLang70

Welcome Spriggs! I chew skoal wintergreen and like my coffee 2 creams, 2 sugars.
    5:38 PM - 29 Apr 2016

Round 2, Pick 17 (48) (From Colts) Jason Spriggs OT 6'6" 301 Indiana 5.8

Pick Analysis: "I think that pick was necessary. They have four offensive linemen with one year left on their contracts. They need to protect Aaron Rodgers and get more athletic." -- Mike Mayock
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Bump.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Interesting note. I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the last three years on draft prospects. Spriggs is the second most athletic OT in the last three drafts. Only Taylor Lewan was higher. Brandon Scherff was the next highest. Those other two guys were picked in the top 11 of the first round.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Interesting note. I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the last three years on draft prospects. Spriggs is the second most athletic OT in the last three drafts. Only Taylor Lewan was higher. Brandon Scherff was the next highest. Those other two guys were picked in the top 11 of the first round.
    Do you think school he's from is a factor? I mean, if he played at Alabama instead of Indiana, maybe he goes 1st round.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Green Bay receives: second-round pick (No. 48) (Indiana OT Jason Spriggs)
    Indianapolis receives: second-round pick (No. 57 overall) (Clemson FS T.J. Green), fourth-round pick (No. 125 overall) (Florida ILB Antonio Morrison), seventh-round pick (No. 248) (Iowa C Austin Blythe)

Football Perspective Draft Value Chart: Indianapolis received 130 cents on the dollar
    Jimmy Johnson Draft Value Chart: Indianapolis received 90 cents on the dollar

http://www.footballperspective.com/m...ft/#more-29145

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Do you think school he's from is a factor? I mean, if he played at Alabama instead of Indiana, maybe he goes 1st round.
    Not really. He needs to bulk up some, despite testing well in the bench press. A year sitting behind Bulaga and Bakh will help him. I read something about Indiana not having many OL prospects recently, but interestingly they have another guy that's listed by NFL Draft Scout as the #2 senior OG for next year.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Game tape of Spriggs against Michigan last year. Taking an outside rush against him is a waste of time. I didn't watch the whole tape, but the only pressure I saw him give up in the passing game was on an inside rush. Not a road grader in the running game, but doesn't miss either.

He could use a little more punch. But even losing those, he didn't get shoved around.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Yeah, he typically held his own. Bakh was a little light in the trunk in his first year. If he plays, it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled with the bull rush like a lot of rooks do, but I think he's got nice foot-work and quickness. A lot of those run plays went to his side of the line.

I like Jordan Howard! He's good.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan