Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's Third Round Pick... OLB Kyler Fackrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    McGinn mentioned that some scouts felt Fackrell hasn't been as athletic since his knee injury. TT didn't see a discernible difference.
    He did say that, but listening to it, I felt like he was more question dodging than he was being forthright. He also said that the normal trajectory for a 25 year old coming off of that type of knee surgery was to be stronger in year 2 than in year 1, so it sounded to me like they were expecting some improvement.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

McGinn mentioned that some scouts felt Fackrell hasn't been as athletic since his knee injury. TT didn't see a discernible difference.
    Some scouts, as well as some people here, felt he was just as white, or maybe even a little whiter since his knee injury. Because they're racists.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    I TORE MY ACL; based on when the tear occurred he was probably not 100% last year; 2 years later it is. That is this year
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I like what TT is doing in this draft. Strengthening the lines and his third round pick at OLB may be a beauty.

Is he content at WR? (Available):

and at Safety:

Gunter, Ladarius S 6'1" 202 Miami 5.2

I like that Gunter kid, and think he would (DOES) look good in a Packer uniform :

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He did say that, but listening to it, I felt like he was more question dodging than he was being forthright. He also said that the normal trajectory for a 25 year old coming off of that type of knee surgery was to be stronger in year 2 than in year 1, so it sounded to me like they were expecting some improvement.

Reading the JSO this morning, the writer was VERY "meh" about this guy. Described him like he's the classic "just a guy." Didn't get me very excited.

Maybe they'll move him inside and try to develop him there? Sounds like he can cover a little bit.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I have hope for Fackrell. As an internet scout, I like to look at three main qualities in the reports....

1. Is he a good athlete?
    He is a very good athlete for the position. And if you consider he's coming off a knee injury and seems to have a lot of room to advance with an NFL caliber workout program, this guy might even be a top tier athlete by the time he takes the field in Green and Gold. I like how athletic he is at that height. It's unique. In my super crude ranking system, where I project into the future a little bit, I'm going to give him an 8 out of 10 for athletic ability.

2. Does he play good football?
    My most trusted source for this is Ted Thompson after the draft. I really listen to what he says. TT likes this guy's ability to play in space and rush the passer. I don't know if that means he'll be a 3 down linebacker, but I could see a nickle/dime player and unique special team player with potential to be more. Looking at his stats, I like how he made such a variety of big plays. 36TFL, 12Sacks, 4INT, 4PBU, 5FF, 7FR... It's cool to see a guy do so many different things. Reading the reports on him, it sounds like he was a playmaker in college. So weighing my information, I give him a 6.5 out of 10 in playing grade, leaning mostly towards Ted's positive, but not glowing endorsement. And this is reading Ted Speak after a decade of listening to him, so I feel somewhat confident in my ability to do that

3. Character, work ethic and trust
    This guy seems like a great guy, a hard worker and a guy who loves football. Listening to TT and reading some articles, he rates high here. I'm going to give him a 9 out of 10 in character.

Summary
    Fackrell looks like a player who has enough skills and talents to contribute for his whole rookie contract and maybe a little more. He has high upside, but initially looks like a rotation player who would come in on passing downs. I could see him being a nickle/dime inside linebacker who brings up the overall speed and athleticism of the defense when he's on the field. The new base in the NFL is nickle defense, so I see him playing well for about 70% of the snaps and maybe rotating out for a thumper when teams bring in a FB and a TE or two TE's. I also imagine he'll be a unique ST's player. That will be fun to watch. My overall impression is that he can play and contribute to passing downs and ST's. I sense low bust potential, but some limits as far as being an every down player but he could easily prove me wrong there, being such a good athlete and hard worker. Maybe he'll will himself into an every down player. I like him and envision him playing and contributing for 5-7 years. A good player with some unique skills.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

If he were a woman, he'd be the kind of girl you want to bring home to mom and dad, somebody named Jean. I wanted Veronica, the one who wears tight clothes and low-cut tops, the one you never want your mom to know about.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Jean Harlow

One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Reading the JSO this morning, the writer was VERY "meh" about this guy. Described him like he's the classic "just a guy." Didn't get me very excited.

Maybe they'll move him inside and try to develop him there? Sounds like he can cover a little bit.
    He was #5 on McGinn's list of outside linebackers. By the time you get around to late 3rd round picks, there will be seemingly strong negatives or at least a lack of superlatives for every player. If there weren't, they would be first or high second round picks. You just hope that added maturity, coaching and development wins out.

GB needs more depth at LB, both inside and outside. This guy seems to be one of the better prospects at those positions in this draft. TT can pick only from the players available. For those reasons, I don't mind the pick. He might be another Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse or Alex Green. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a James Jones, Jermichael Finley or Morgan Burnette. He's a third round pick. He might be a contributor, or he might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He was #5 on McGinn's list of outside linebackers. By the time you get around to late 3rd round picks, there will be seemingly strong negatives or at least a lack of superlatives for every player. If there weren't, they would be first or high second round picks. You just hope that added maturity, coaching and development wins out.

GB needs more depth at LB, both inside and outside. This guy seems to be one of the better prospects at those positions in this draft. TT can pick only from the players available. For those reasons, I don't mind the pick. He might be another Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse or Alex Green. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a James Jones, Jermichael Finley or Morgan Burnette. He's a third round pick. He might be a contributor, or he might not.
    +1

Fackrell was not a first tier edge rusher, but they were all gone. He was the last of the 2nd tier.

TT could have selected a better edge rusher like Noah Spence or Kamalei Correa with his first pick and then "settled" for Javon Hargrave, Hassan Ridgeway, Willie Henry, Matt Ioannidis or even Billings in the 3rd.

It's pure judgement based on his internal scouting. I think the trade up to get Spriggs was brilliant, so IMO Ted's doing just fine.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Brady Poppinga?
    Other than being a mormon pass rusher I don't see it. Poppinga the prospect was more like Andy Mulumba. A physical bull in a china shop type with a decent first step but who made his money on being willing to sacrifice his body.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

That smacks of the kind of criticism you can never be marked down for. Because if he later demonstrates you as wrong, you can say it took X months to recover.

After thinking about this pick last night (I really need a new hobby) I kinda doubt that speed in the 4.62-4.72 range is going to make in it man coverage. Maybe all but the most TEs over the middle. He's tall enough to negate one aspect of their advantage.

What is the normal speed range you want for an ILB in coverage? Probably more like 4.5-4.6, right?

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics (and not having watched the tape), I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about his measurables, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That smacks of the kind of criticism you can never be marked down for. Because if he later demonstrates you as wrong, you can say it took X months to recover.

After thinking about this pick last night (I really need a new hobby) I kinda doubt that speed in the 4.62-4.72 range is going to make in it man coverage. Maybe all but the most TEs over the middle. He's tall enough to negate one aspect of their advantage.

What is the normal speed range you want for an ILB in coverage? Probably more like 4.5-4.6, right?

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics, I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about him, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    I'd take a 3-cone under 7 over a 4.5 40 from a coverage ILB all day long. Fackrell has neither in shorts but if he's one of those mythical 'football steps' guys whose speed translates well to the field he's plenty fast. His length can hide some sins too; he looks and moves like a giant long safety. Poppinga was much thicker and physical and for all his coverage faults he could really excel playing a gap. Fackrell doesn't look like he'd last long trying to be Poppinga.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics (and not having watched the tape), I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about his measurables, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    4.5-4.6 at ILB? Outside of Darron Jones (who is an athletic freak like a Ryan Shazier) and Deion Jones at 222 pounds, there were none of those guys in this draft. Joshua Perry actually had the best 40 time outside of those two, and he ran 4.68. Then, you have B.J. Goodson at 4.69 and Blake Martinez at 4.71. Fackrell, Nick Vigil, and Reggie Ragland would be next at 4.72. The other 18 ILBs that I evaluated ran worse. Fackrell is a better overall athlete than Ragland. Much better in the 3 cone, vertical, and broad jump. Plus, he's 4 inches taller.

I'm not totally enamored with the pick because I did have some other guys ranked higher (although I had Fackrell on my short list). Fackrell is old for a rookie and he needs to get stronger, so there are concerns, but I don't think athleticism is one of the concerns. He's a solid athlete for both an OLB and ILB. Not sure he can play ILB though because of the lack of strength. My reports say he's better than you'd think (not great, but not bad) taking on blocks and tackling, despite the lack of strength.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

^ OK, well then, maybe he does get a shot.

For what its worth, Packer Report said their Scout.com review of OLBs ranked him as one of the best against the run and his tackling.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12h12 hours ago
    Fackrell one of the better run defenders at the position. Also ranked as the top tackler (in terms of tackles per miss)

BTW 3irty1, he is Poppinga!

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 12h12 hours ago
    3rd-round pick Kyler Fackrell will wear #51 for the #Packers. #PackersDraft

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

True, but at the time the consensus was that Finley had great upside. This guy is more like Richard Rodgers. He'll play but he's not a big consistent playmaker.

KYPack

For what its worth, Packer Report said their Scout.com review of OLBs ranked him as one of the best against the run and his tackling.

Fackrell one of the better run defenders at the position. Also ranked as the top tackler (in terms of tackles per miss)

Wasn't Poppinga from BYU as well. I bet Fackrell did that on purpose. He's that kind of kid. Shades of Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Jean Harlow

Draft dat one !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Fackrell sounds like some sort of medication.

I'll nickname him:

Kyler 'Medicine Man' Fackrell.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

If Fackrell weren't a good athlete, he wouldn't have been a 3rd round pick (who some projected to the 2nd round). Old, weak, and unathletic wouldn't have been too appealing.

This is what Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com (who I respect a lot) said:

88. Green Bay Packers: Kyler Fackrell, LB, Utah State
    NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah: "He is very loose and bendy to wrap around blocks and pursue from the back side. He's versatile in the passing game. He can run and mirror tight ends and he's an explosive blitzer. Overall, this is a very athletic edge defender with the ability to make plays on all three downs."
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson