Thread: NFL Draft Day 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Interesting tidbit about Schobert is that he walked on at Wisconsin. The only scholarship offer he got was from North Dakota. UND Fighting Sioux, not the NDSU Bison though.
    I thought the U of ND was going to change their name to the Fighting Sue or Suzy so the Indians couldn't yell at 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I thought the U of ND was going to change their name to the Fighting Sue or Suzy so the Indians couldn't yell at 'em.
    It wasn't the Natives who had a problem. It was the big city liberals who felt the Sioux should be offended by it. In fact, both Sioux tribes in North Dakota overwhelmingly supported the name. The problem is that the head of the Standing Rock tribe didn't allow a vote (he was a big city, liberal-educated chief and there was good reason not to allow a vote since polls showed the members of the tribe overwhelmingly supported the name). The NCAA required UND to get permission from both Sioux tribes to keep the name (the Spirit Lake tribe overwhelmingly approved the name by vote), so one guy (Ron His Horse Is Thunder) kept UND from keeping the name. His reasoning was laughable. He said the Standing Rock nation had already given approval to the name in the 1960s (which is true), and he didn't think it needed to be re-approved (which is the laughable part--since it went with his belief and ended up being the reason the name wasn't kept).

All you have to do is go to United Tribes College in Bismarck to see what Natives feel about the name. I used to play basketball at the college and half the kids playing there wore Fighting Sioux jerseys. They'll always be the Fighting Sioux to me.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson