Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Day 3

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Nope. Unacceptable. We must judge Thompson's picks right now. After all, he's the only GM in the history of the NFL that has ever made a bad draft pick.
    And God help him if TT takes a kid in the 5th round that isn't a future HOFer.

Honestly, it is ridiculous for some of you to bitch about a player declaring him to be a bust before he is assigned a locker and jersey number.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Well yeah, everybody has their draft day ritual.

I gave up all my lists and pre draft lookin' after the 2007 draft.

Now, I use the draft to learn the new kids names.

Also, thx to the Moose, B-Man, Harve, PB and all the draftniks.

I don't read the sites, I just come to the Rat nest for my draft info.
    KYPack do you need lists and magazines etc. when there are good NFL Draft Expertise sites that have done so much to prepare any football fan to grasp the Draft and just maybe have even a hunch as to when their teams GM has made a dramatic 'REACH'?

Here are just a few of the decent sites:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

and

www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker

and

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...-draft-tracker

and

http://www.drafttek.com/

are just some of them.

I'm just at this time reviewing the results of NFL.Com's Expert Draft analysts Grading of all NFL teams results in this 2016 Draft.

Here's a Draft Grade for the Packers from NFL.com. The man giving this review is very experience and competent.

Green Bay Packers

Draft picks: Kenny Clark (No. 27 overall), Jason Spriggs (No. 48 overall), Kyler Fackrell (No. 88 overall), Blake Martinez (No. 131), Dean Lowry (No. 137), Trevor Davis (No. 163), Kyle Murphy (No. 200)

Day 1 grade: B+
    Day 2 grade: B
    Day 3 grade: B+

Overall grade: B+

The skinny: There wasn't much question that the Packers were going to bolster their front seven with their opening pick. Another no-brainer will be fan comparisons of the careers of their selection, Clark, and two available Alabama studs: linebacker Reggie Ragland and nose tackle Jarran Reed.

Green Bay desperately needed help at the tackle position, and trading up for Spriggs filled that hole. It was an atypical move for Ted Thompson, giving up a mid-round choice for a nine-spot move upwards. Fackrell has good potential to help rush the passer on the outside.

The Packers needed an inside linebacker, and they got one with athleticism and intelligence in Martinez. Lowry is a five-technique who will be part of the rotation. Davis is a probable returner who showed the best hands at the combine. Murphy gives more depth at the tackle, though fans are hoping the team gets a good tight end as an undrafted free agent.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Then why did he slide so far down?
    Because he's being thought of as 'only' a two down guy.

Mike Mayock informed us of that today.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Wouldn't it be prudent to wait and see if they can play before declaring them busts?
    Did you take some time to read any reviews of that particular WR?

If you did you would be aware that he's not considered ready (or nearly so) to be more than a 6th WR. His value may lie in some potential (with straight line speed?) I really wonder ...to return kicks.

Do you as the Packer GM invest your 5th Rd. pick on that guy?

I felt that TT had plenty more and far better options.

and I'm also softening to that pick.....................somewhat. Of course I want this WR prospect to do great in TC.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-01-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Who's gonna start the UDFA thread?
    I'm going there right now to see what they decided to bring in...and who agreed to a try out.

Blog Entries
    Just got back from the Hall of Fame induction for BO RYAN and DONALD DRIVER

What did we trade our 7th round pick for ?????????????
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

That 7th Rd. pick was a part of the deal TT made with Indy to move up in Rd. 2.

He traded our 2nd... 4th and 7th to move up in Rd. 2.

I added all the Draft Trades to the Draft Thread I believe B. I'll get that for you:

Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-all-the-moves

2016 NFL Draft trade tracker: Details of all the moves

NFL.com

Published: April 28, 2016 at 06:31 p.m. Updated: April 30, 2016 at 07:12 p.m.

This guy WR Trevor Davis looks better to me now:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2016&genpos=WR

That 7th Rd. pick was a part of the deal TT made with Indy to move up in Rd. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Did you take some time to read any reviews of that particular WR?

If you did you would be aware that he's not considered ready (or nearly so) to be more than a 6th WR. His value may lie in some potential (with straight line speed?) I really wonder ...to return kicks.

Do you as the Packer GM invest your 5th Rd. pick on that guy?

I felt that TT had plenty more and far better options.

and I'm also softening to that pick.....................somewhat. Of course I want this WR prospect to do great in TC.
    Me? A GM? I'm the last person qualified for that job and I suspect the rest of us here are equally qualified.

I usually do not pay much attention to the "experts" reviews on these young players because often they are wrong. I remember back in 2008 there were many who thought Brian Brohm was gonna push Aaron Rodgers for the starting job! I found the speed of the WR Ted took intriguing. Didn't we all bemoan the lack of speed in our WR corps last year with Jordy gone and Janis so green? I don't find using a 5th rounder on a kid like Davis a huge investment. He might be the next Donald Driver. Ya never know.

Part of the trade to move up in the 2nd and get Springs.

PACKERS get:
    2016 Rd. 2 (No. 48): OT Jason Spriggs

COLTS get:
    2016 Rd. 2 (No. 57): DB T.J. Green
    2016 Rd. 4 (No. 125): LB Antonio Morrison
    2016 Rd. 7 (No. 248): C Austin Blythe
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Interesting tidbit about Schobert is that he walked on at Wisconsin. The only scholarship offer he got was from North Dakota. UND Fighting Sioux, not the NDSU Bison though.
    I thought the U of ND was going to change their name to the Fighting Sue or Suzy so the Indians couldn't yell at 'em.

Blog Entries
    Wood, thx for the info on sites, etc.

My own problem with rating all these kids is I watch about 1% of the college football that I used to.

All these names that get mentioned are just that to me, random names, really.

I thought I had one scoop that would help us, Tyler Higbee TE from WKY.

That's about the scope of my usefulness.

As it turns out, the Rams beat us to the punch in the 4th, we basically had no shot at Higbee.

Really, I just wait for the draftaholics on PR to do all my spotting for the draft.

I'm good with that.

I thought the U of ND was going to change their name to the Fighting Sue or Suzy so the Indians couldn't yell at 'em.
    It wasn't the Natives who had a problem. It was the big city liberals who felt the Sioux should be offended by it. In fact, both Sioux tribes in North Dakota overwhelmingly supported the name. The problem is that the head of the Standing Rock tribe didn't allow a vote (he was a big city, liberal-educated chief and there was good reason not to allow a vote since polls showed the members of the tribe overwhelmingly supported the name). The NCAA required UND to get permission from both Sioux tribes to keep the name (the Spirit Lake tribe overwhelmingly approved the name by vote), so one guy (Ron His Horse Is Thunder) kept UND from keeping the name. His reasoning was laughable. He said the Standing Rock nation had already given approval to the name in the 1960s (which is true), and he didn't think it needed to be re-approved (which is the laughable part--since it went with his belief and ended up being the reason the name wasn't kept).

All you have to do is go to United Tribes College in Bismarck to see what Natives feel about the name. I used to play basketball at the college and half the kids playing there wore Fighting Sioux jerseys. They'll always be the Fighting Sioux to me.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I can't believe we didn't take advantage of the German pipeline for wide receivers.
    The Packers did:

Another interesting tryout participant is German wide receiver Patrick Donahue. NFLDraftDiamonds.com reported he would be at Packers camp this week. He is 5-10, 195 pounds and ran a 4.4-second 40. He was a teammate of Moritz Boehringer, the workout wonder who was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    ^^^Boehringer and Donahue were on the same team in Germany? Maybe we ought to take a look at the team's QB. Must have some arm.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Did you speak to Donald Driver B? Shake his hand?

I'm a big fan of this nan. In my view he's one of the greatest Packers post 1960's Era.

Wood, thx for the info on sites, etc.

My own problem with rating all these kids is I watch about 1% of the college football that I used to.

All these names that get mentioned are just that to me, random names, really.

I thought I had one scoop that would help us, Tyler Higbee TE from WKY.

That's about the scope of my usefulness.

As it turns out, the Rams beat us to the punch in the 4th, we basically had no shot at Higbee.

Really, I just wait for the draftaholics on PR to do all my spotting for the draft.

I'm good with that.
    Were fortunate as members to get some solid views from members here that are so dedicated to our Drafts.

Me? A GM? I'm the last person qualified for that job and I suspect the rest of us here are equally qualified.

I usually do not pay much attention to the "experts" reviews on these young players because often they are wrong. I remember back in 2008 there were many who thought Brian Brohm was gonna push Aaron Rodgers for the starting job! I found the speed of the WR Ted took intriguing. Didn't we all bemoan the lack of speed in our WR corps last year with Jordy gone and Janis so green? I don't find using a 5th rounder on a kid like Davis a huge investment. He might be the next Donald Driver. Ya never know.
    I've spent more time checking out TT's 5th Round pick WR and Kick Returner Trevor Davis .

I now feel better about his decision to go with that young man.

I do feel he's a Myles White sized guy who is light for the NFL. His athleticism and speed may very well counter that disadvantage.

I'm very interested in how Trevor Davis turns out Pugger.

Patrick Donahue?

Now there's a good German name.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Patrick Donahue?

Now there's a good German name.
    Didn't he just play over there and is not a German national?

Interesting tidbit about Donahue:

Donahue played alongside Boehringer for the Unicorns in 2015 in Germany and actually surpassed his numbers at the other wideout spot. He caught 75 passes for 1,353 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2015 as compared to 59 receptions for 1,232 yards and 13 TDs for Boehringer.