Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A review of the Clark, Spriggs and Fackrell picks

A review of the Clark, Spriggs and Fackrell picks

I've spent about a decade listening to and deciphering Ted Thompson's words on players after the draft. When he really, really likes a player he'll talk sort of matter of factly about what he does on the field. "He always blocks his guy." is something he said about Sitton and an example of Ted really loving a guys game tape. So here are my impressions of the first three picks.

Kenny Clark
    The most glowing endorsement I've ever heard from Ted Thompson was the "he always blocks his guy" comment on Josh Sitton 8 years ago. TT didn't go that far with this guy, but I definitely get a better feel for TT's confidence in the Clark game tape vs the Sherrod and Perry game tape of years past. "He's always played the run well" and "He showed he can rush the passer last year" are the two comments I like most about Clark. TT really does speak generally, but when he says a DL can stop the run and rush the passer, those are the sort of things I consider to be strong endorsements by TT. The other comments were about Clark being big and strong and athletic. My overall impression of the Clark pick is that he's a safe bet to play good football, a good character guy and a high upside athlete. I like the pick all of the way around.

Jason Spriggs
    TT said very little about this guys ability to block. He mostly talked about his size and athletic ability. He's a good person, a hard worker, plays with some nastiness, size/athletic ability are off the charts. It's almost like this guy has everything except a knack for making the play. This reminds me of the Sherrod pick. Obviously the injury played into that, but Sherrod was sketchy from play one in Green Bay. TJ Lang was a guy who had to grow into the job a little. Jordy Nelson is another. I'm not saying this guy is a bust, but I don't get that rock solid, he's got "it" feeling that I get with some other picks. I'm guessing 50/50 boom bust with this guy. I'm hoping for the best, but I don't expect Spriggs to be able to play right away and I won't expect it until I see it start showing up. I don't love the pick, but I understand it. Big guys are hard to find.

Kyler Fackrell
    TT said he liked his ability to play in space and rush the passer. That's pass defense. He also likes his athletic ability and character. Honestly, Fackrell got a stronger game tape endorsement than Spriggs from TT IMO, even if not complete. Listening to TT, I think Spriggs has higher upside and is obviously the more rare body type, but I think Fackrell has a better chance of contributing. In a pass happy, nickle defense NFL, the areas where TT says Fackrell excels are the areas that matter most. Straight across the board, he gets after it on pass defense. My impression is that Fackrell is likely to be a good pass defender and has potential to be an every down player. I like the pick.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'd hope Fackrell is expected to contribute right away seeing as how he's almost 25. That's a pretty quick expiration date for a project. Good reads JH.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Spriggs presents an unusual situation by which to read TT. I think you have to look beyond TT's words.

To move just nine spots, from #57 to #48, TT gave up two extra picks. He gave #57, #125 & #248 and received only #48 in return. A 3-for-1 deal had to be difficult for a guy who clearly likes to maximize his draft opportunities. Clearly, he attached a premium on Spriggs above the next best alternatives that he might see nine spots later. When he traded up to pick Matthews, he gave away three picks, but received two in return, a 3-for-2 deal.

In this case, I think TT's actions speak louder than his words.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The #7 almost doesn't matter, because the Packers focus a lot on rookie FA signings
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Spriggs presents an unusual situation by which to read TT. I think you have to look beyond TT's words.

To move just nine spots, from #57 to #48, TT gave up two extra picks. He gave #57, #125 & #248 and received only #48 in return. A 3-for-1 deal had to be difficult for a guy who clearly likes to maximize his draft opportunities. Clearly, he attached a premium on Spriggs above the next best alternatives that he might see nine spots later. When he traded up to pick Matthews, he gave away three picks, but received two in return, a 3-for-2 deal.

In this case, I think TT's actions speak louder than his words.
    We've both been following these TT lead Packers for a while. I still think Ted is taking a, "potential" flyer here. I hope I'm wrong. I could see either of our impressions being correct. I still lean toward mine, but it's more intuition than logic so I understand arguments both ways or other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The #7 almost doesn't matter, because the Packers focus a lot on rookie FA signings
    I agree only partly. A 7th round pick has small value because it is the bottom of the barrel, but its value is actually enhanced by their focus on FA signings. A 7th round pick has a significant value in combination with the deep evaluations done for their focus on FA signings because it ensures that they will get a player they like. They can't be assured that they will be able to sign a targeted FA. He might chose to sign with someone else. They can make him come to GB by drafting him with a 7th round pick.

For that reason I have always felt a 7th round pick might mean more to TT and a couple others than it does to some.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Good analysis as usual JH.

My bottom-line regarding these three picks boils down to:

Clark -- Greatest potential of D-linemen available, at his best two or three years down the road. (I like his ability to bat down passes. That's a talent your born with.)

Spriggs -- Best of the NFL-able OLTs left and stays healthy (knock on wood!!)

Fackrell -- Safest choice among available, big school OLB pass rushers (guaranteed to outperform Jaylon Smith in 2016)
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    We've both been following these TT lead Packers for a while. I still think Ted is taking a, "potential" flyer here. I hope I'm wrong. I could see either of our impressions being correct. I still lean toward mine, but it's more intuition than logic so I understand arguments both ways or other ways.
    I think it is a potential pick too, but I think TT is much more impressed with Spriggs' potential than he was with Sherrod's, for example. He did a lot so that Spriggs wouldn't get away. Sherrod seemed like a pick that was made because he had to pick someone, they needed OL depth and Sherrod had very good size and some athletic ability.

Unlike your comment in the first post, for me the pick of Spriggs does not remind me of Sherrod at all. Of course, that doesn't mean that it will turn out any better.

I think it is a potential pick too, but I think TT is much more impressed with Spriggs' potential than he was with Sherrod's, for example. He did a lot so that Spriggs wouldn't get away. Sherrod seemed like a pick that was made because he had to pick someone, they needed OL depth and Sherrod had very good size and some athletic ability.

Unlike your comment in the first post, for me the pick of Spriggs does not remind me of Sherrod at all. Of course, that doesn't mean that it will turn out any better.
    You also have to like the fact that TT jumped ahead of the Bears to grab a guy they OBVIOUSLY targeted.....
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Fackrell -- Safest choice among available, big school OLB pass rushers (guaranteed to outperform Jaylon Smith in 2016)
    Darn it, Maxie. Now you have jinxed him for sure! Do you not recall the rookie years of Aaron Taylor, Mike Flanagan and JC Tretter? Why would you make such a guarantee?

JH, where did you get the quotes? Gutenkisk or Lutefisk or Gutenberg was at the PC after the Spriggs pick. Ted came down again after grabbing Fackrell.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Good stuff, JH.

Like you, I enjoy trying to decipher Ted's speech and his nonverbals. I disagree with your analysis only in that Teds most telling moment was when he first picked Nelson. He positively looked like the cat who ate the canary on that one. As it turns out, rightfully so.

Clark seems like a reasonable choice, although I always have my doubts regarding DL prospects from the Pac 12. He does appear to have a strong motor, which is the biggest plus in his column. Big lazy guys never amount to anything. It is also nice to know that he is very young and probably has considerable opportunity to gain strength and size over the next 2 years. I really couldn't see anyone left at that point who offered more impact to our roster than Clark did.

The Spriggs kid to me was a good pick. He's green...he has a lot to learn...but he has the athleticism and size to become a very good player if he applies himself. Given the Packers current situation, the kid should have some time to learn...and he likely will have the opportunity to apply himself at points during the season due to the rate our OL guys get dinged up. The fact that Ted moved up to get him probably isn't an indication that Spriggs is a budding superstar, but rather that Thompson viewed the gap between him and any of the guys on the next tier as extremely significant. Spriggs has physical ability that typically gets 1st round grades, but this draft was really deep for the guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball and it allowed a kid like Spriggs to still be around. Thompson correctly gauged that he needed to go up to grab him and paid the price necessary to do so.

Fackrell doesn't really blow up my skirt. To me, this seems like a real grasp at trying to find someone capable of making a few plays in against the pass from the LB position. His athleticism seems sub-par to me for a guy who will rush the passer as an OLB. It would appear his best attributes suggest he might be better suited in coverage. He'll probably be a very capable special team player as well...which probably boosts him quite a bit in the eye of the Packer brass.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

What I read about Spriggs is he has a really good kick step. Remember who else had a good KS coming out of college? Clifton.

After reading about Clark, I got over at least some of my negativity about going interior D Line in the first round. He has some potential and athleticism, and I like that "swat" ability. He seems a lot more like Daniels than like Raji.

I like the fact that some are comparing Spriggs to Sherrod. The guy seems capable of getting even bigger, and getting back to huge O Linemen is something the Packers needed to do IMO.

My first thought about Fackrell was big and slow - another damn elephant, but reading about him, it seems he ain't like that. I wanted a future Clay Matthews, and there's at least some chance this guy is it.

So I guess I'm guardedly satisfied up to now.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Other Ted comments on Spriggs:

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 12h12 hours ago
    Thompson on Jason Spriggs trade: "We really wanted to make him a Packer." #PackersDraft

Rob Demovsky
    Packers GM Ted Thompson explained why he traded up in the second round to take Jason Spriggs. "It might have been a little conservative on my part, but I'd rather have him than risk losing him."

Ted's PC after 3rd round, discussing Fackrell and Spriggs.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...6-74cf627eb0b8
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Darn it, Maxie. Now you have jinxed him for sure! Do you not recall the rookie years of Aaron Taylor, Mike Flanagan and JC Tretter? Why would you make such a guarantee?
    You left off the "knock on wood" part!! That ALWAYS works...knock on wood!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'd hope Fackrell is expected to contribute right away seeing as how he's almost 25. That's a pretty quick expiration date for a project. Good reads JH.
    If only there was a proven NFL linebacker around the same age we could have targeted in free agency.....

...who didn't cost 6 mill a year...
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    JH, where did you get the quotes? Gutenkisk or Lutefisk or Gutenberg was at the PC after the Spriggs pick. Ted came down again after grabbing Fackrell.
    Tt talked about Clark after day 1 and spriggs and the lb after day two. I listened and watched his body language, and formed impressions that can be argued and disagreed with, but impressions none the less. That's what I shared. Opinion. I've been getting more consistently right with my opinions over the years, not always, but more often. It's still an opinion though and certainly up for debate.