Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A review of the Clark, Spriggs and Fackrell picks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Clark seems like a reasonable choice, although I always have my doubts regarding DL prospects from the Pac 12. He does appear to have a strong motor, which is the biggest plus in his column. Big lazy guys never amount to anything. It is also nice to know that he is very young and probably has considerable opportunity to gain strength and size over the next 2 years. I really couldn't see anyone left at that point who offered more impact to our roster than Clark did.

The Spriggs kid to me was a good pick. He's green...he has a lot to learn...but he has the athleticism and size to become a very good player if he applies himself. Given the Packers current situation, the kid should have some time to learn...and he likely will have the opportunity to apply himself at points during the season due to the rate our OL guys get dinged up. The fact that Ted moved up to get him probably isn't an indication that Spriggs is a budding superstar, but rather that Thompson viewed the gap between him and any of the guys on the next tier as extremely significant. Spriggs has physical ability that typically gets 1st round grades, but this draft was really deep for the guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball and it allowed a kid like Spriggs to still be around. Thompson correctly gauged that he needed to go up to grab him and paid the price necessary to do so.

Fackrell doesn't really blow up my skirt. To me, this seems like a real grasp at trying to find someone capable of making a few plays in against the pass from the LB position. His athleticism seems sub-par to me for a guy who will rush the passer as an OLB. It would appear his best attributes suggest he might be better suited in coverage. He'll probably be a very capable special team player as well...which probably boosts him quite a bit in the eye of the Packer brass.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

What I read about Spriggs is he has a really good kick step. Remember who else had a good KS coming out of college? Clifton.

After reading about Clark, I got over at least some of my negativity about going interior D Line in the first round. He has some potential and athleticism, and I like that "swat" ability. He seems a lot more like Daniels than like Raji.

I like the fact that some are comparing Spriggs to Sherrod. The guy seems capable of getting even bigger, and getting back to huge O Linemen is something the Packers needed to do IMO.

My first thought about Fackrell was big and slow - another damn elephant, but reading about him, it seems he ain't like that. I wanted a future Clay Matthews, and there's at least some chance this guy is it.

So I guess I'm guardedly satisfied up to now.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Other Ted comments on Spriggs:

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 12h12 hours ago
    Thompson on Jason Spriggs trade: "We really wanted to make him a Packer." #PackersDraft

Rob Demovsky
    Packers GM Ted Thompson explained why he traded up in the second round to take Jason Spriggs. "It might have been a little conservative on my part, but I'd rather have him than risk losing him."

Ted's PC after 3rd round, discussing Fackrell and Spriggs.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...6-74cf627eb0b8
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

...who didn't cost 6 mill a year...
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    ...who didn't cost 6 mill a year...
    Let's just keep saving and drafting and developing until our HOF quarterback is a shadow of himself.
    I'll maintain that our approach via the draft and free agency needs to be much more aggressive over the next few years. We pay Clay more than double what Trevathan is being paid per year, and the contract was a year longer. For whatever reason money doesn't matter, as long as TT drafted the player getting paid.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Let's just keep saving and drafting and developing until our HOF quarterback is a shadow of himself.
    I'll maintain that our approach via the draft and free agency needs to be much more aggressive over the next few years. We pay Clay more than double what Trevathan is being paid per year, and the contract was a year longer. For whatever reason money doesn't matter, as long as TT drafted the player getting paid.
    I don't think the Trevathan issue was so much about money - I think it was about whether they liked 'em or not.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    How about another DT, TE, or scatback RB next ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I think you're in the wrong thread, brah!

Yeah, I did listen to the PC last night on the radio and today on their website. He doesn't say anything specific about his playing. You've got me spooked.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That's it. He says nothing about how spriggs plays. Said was tough, said was athletic, said wanted to be good. Said nothing about actually being good. It's what he didn't say that concerns me.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Billings or Adams would be nice
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    another LB; nice.

Wasn't TT also giving pretty high praise to RB Alex Green when they drafted him? I guess we have to wait and see when the pads come on, but stil an interesting observation about Spriggs indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    Wasn't TT also giving pretty high praise to RB Alex Green when they drafted him? I guess we have to wait and see when the pads come on, but stil an interesting observation about Spriggs indeed.
    He said he was, "the man."

And apparently TT is wrong sometimes too But I've noticed a trend that when the Packers take guys that TT talks about how good they are at football, they usually end up being good at playing football. With some exceptions. In 10 years it's the closest thing to a reliable way to judge a draft after the draft as I've come up with.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He said he was, "the man."

And apparently TT is wrong sometimes too But I've noticed a trend that when the Packers take guys that TT talks about how good they are at football, they usually end up being good at playing football. With some exceptions. In 10 years it's the closest thing to a reliable way to judge a draft after the draft as I've come up with.
    Good post, good discussion. I am not a member of the Alex Green fan club, but in fairness, TT drafted him before he hurt his knee. Was he going to become something special? Probably not. The knee injury, perhaps his own resolve or ability after the injury is what sapped Alex Green's career.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...gain/83662644/

Ted Thompson surprises Packers fans again

BY: Richard Ryman, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin 1:58 a.m. EDT April 29, 2016
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I stand corrected!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I stand corrected!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

JSO anonymous scout review.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377539121.html

Consensus - Clark is solid, Fackrell may be good, or may have lost a critical step from the knee injury. Spriggs - yikes, a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type

TT must have loved Spriggs a the Senior Bowl, because that analysis does not give me hope for this pick being anything other than TT's worst 2nd rounder since Brohm, and he traded up to get him as well.

I like Clark, am dubious about Fackrell, and hate the Spriggs pick, especially with the trade factored in.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!