Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's 4th Round Pick... ILB Blake Martinez

Apparently he is a really bright kid too. While many of the Packers rookies will be prevented from any further team activities until their current semesters are done, including his Stanford team mate, Martinez can stay because he already has his degree, and not in basket weaving. Less than four years?

Blake Martinez, an inside linebacker from Stanford, is allowed to remain in Green Bay and participate in all workouts because he already earned his degree in management science and engineering.

https://msande.stanford.edu/about/welcome

Dear MS&E Community,

I am pleased and honored to have accepted the role of Department Chair as of January 1, with my colleague Margaret Brandeau as Associate Chair. I would like to take this opportunity to share some initial thoughts, as we embark on reshaping our Department and the field.

Under the leadership of the outgoing Chair, Peter Glynn, and his Associate Chair, Stephen Barley, as well as the former Chair, Elisabeth Pate-Cornell, the MS&E Department has risen to the top of its field internationally. In particular, in the last few years we have made spectacular young faculty hires, positioning us to capture key intellectual opportunities with broad social impact.

This change comes at a time when the School of Engineering, under the new leadership of Dean Persis S. Drell, is reimagining its future and how we can work across boundaries to have impact.

The uniquely broad and deep intellectual footprint of MS&E includes established excellence in a variety of diverse areas, ranging from computational social sciences to strategy and entrepreneurship studies, from decisions and risk to health policy, from economics and finance to energy systems, and from core analytics and operations research to organizational studies. We are well positioned to play a powerful role in solving the world’s biggest challenges.

We recently launched MS&E-2025, a process to generate a strategic vision for the Department and a transition path to where we want to be in ten years. It will range from identifying emerging intellectual opportunities with long-term practical impact, to reaffirming our commitment to increasing diversity and designing an implementation plan. It will involve the faculty and students, as well as our industry friends and our alumni. I look forward to working with all of you to extract the best ideas and distill a powerful vision.

Thank you so much for your invaluable contributions in the past, and we look forward to your continued participation and support, as we venture into the future!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Stanford is for losers
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Apparently he is a really bright kid too. While many of the Packers rookies will be prevented from any further team activities until their current semesters are done, including his Stanford team mate, Martinez can stay because he already has his degree, and not in basket weaving. Less than four years?
    I thought that did not matter?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ave-green-bay/

And, of course, just because the NFL’s rule keeps Clark from working with the Packers until UCLA’s school year is over, it doesn’t mean Clark is going to be at UCLA. The rule even applies to players who have already graduated, or to players who dropped out of school. The rule doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it’s a longstanding rule, and Clark is stuck with it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Martinez, who wore No. 4 at Stanford, wasn't going to be able to wear his old number in the pros. Linebackers are only allowed to wear numbers 40 through 59 and 90 through 99.

Not knowing a ton about Packers history, Martinez was offered a dozen numbers from which to pick for his uniform.

He chose No. 50, previously worn by inside linebacker A.J. Hawk.

"They gave me like 12 options and I was just kind of going through it and not really thinking the No. 50 and I was like, ‘50’s a great number,'" Martinez said. "Then all of a sudden, everybody’s like, ‘Oh, you’ve got A.J. Hawk’s number.’ I was like, ‘Ohhhh, yep, here we go.’

"But it’s a great number and I’ll do everything I can to kind of live up to his legacy and all of what he’s done."
    please don't
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Sounds like Hawk's reputation inside the locker room was greater than outside.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    please don't
    He did say "kind of live up to..."

"Hey, look. Martinez was slow getting to the play, but he did tackle the guy - eight yards past the line of scrimmage. Just like AJ Hawk!"

"Hey, look, that tight end just ran by Martinez like he was a statue. Just like AJ Hawk!"
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "Hey, look. Martinez was slow getting to the play, but he did tackle the guy - eight yards past the line of scrimmage. Just like AJ Hawk!"

"Hey, look, that tight end just ran by Martinez like he was a statue. Just like AJ Hawk!"
    "Everyone was properly lined up on that play. Just like Hawk. Good job, Marty!"

"Martinez is starting again today, just as he has every game for the last 9 years, since game one of his rookie year."

It wasn't all bad with Hawk, was it?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    "Martinez just flipped off the Packers bench after a QB sack, just like Hawk!"
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Worse was that people took the faint praise of Hawk

"really keeps his cool" and "gets everyone lined up right"

as evidence that he was the personification of veteran leadership and therefore an unalloyed good.

This thread should automatically change every instance of "veteran leadership" to "Hawk".
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If Marty plays as well as hawk everyone will be saying 'great value'.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If Marty plays as well as hawk everyone will be saying 'great value'.
    Depends on which vintage. Regardless, some will also say, T2 doesn't care about ILBs because he hasn't used a first or second round pick on it since 2006.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Perhaps some just couldn't let go of the notion that pick #5 is supposed to be splashy/dominant and not just a steady eddie. Isn't the #5 pick supposed to be the best player on the field much of the time?

When he was drafted, the Packers were running a 4-3. I wonder how his Pro Football Focus rating from his first three years compares with the remainder of his time in Capers' system?
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-09-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Depends on which vintage.
    2007, at Kansas City. I'd love to see that again.