Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's 5th Round Pick... WR Trevor Davis

Everything you need to know about TT's 5th Round Pick... WR Trevor Davis

ROUND 5: (No. 163 overall)
    THE PICK: TREVOR DAVIS, WR, CALIFORNIA

Measurables
    Height: 73 inches
    Weight: 188 pounds
    Arm Length: 31.00 inches
    Hand Size: 10.00 inches
    Position: WR
    College: California
    Draft Class: 2016

40 Yard Dash: 4.42 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: 2.57 seconds
    10 Yard Dash: 1.51 seconds
    Bench Press: 11 reps (225 lb)
    Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)
    Vertical Leap: 38.5 inches
    Broad Jump: 124 inches
    20 Yd Shuttle: 4.22 seconds
    Three Cone: 6.60 seconds
    60 Yd Shuttle: 10.94 seconds
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rotoworld:

Davis (6'1/188) played two seasons at Cal after transferring from Hawaii, parlaying 64 career catches into 1,071 yards (16.7 YPR) and seven TDs. He also returned two kickoffs for scores. Davis ripped up the Combine, blazing 4.42 with a 38 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-4 broad jump and shredding agility drills. Davis' future at wideout has been an open question among NFL scouts, but his special teams prowess should earn him extended opportunities. Apr 30 - 3:16 PM

An NFC West scout believes Cal WR Trevor Davis could make a roster as a returner.
    "He's a pretty good returner," the scout said. "I don't see him being drafted, but he could make a team as a return man and last receiver on the depth chart." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes that Davis' speed doesn't always translate to the field. Davis is praying for a late-round call. Apr 12 - 2:02 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter says that if he had to identify a mid-round sleeper "in the Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace mold," he would pick Cal WR Trevor Davis.
    The 6-1, 188-pound transfer from Hawaii has essentially been ignored during the draft process, though ESPN analyst Todd McShay tweeted in January that Davis "keeps flashing" during his film study of Jared Goff. Davis had a career-high 40 catches last season for 672 yards and two scores. "I think he could explode in the NFL if given the opportunity," wrote Reuter. "He has the quickness to work the middle of the field, and his ability to snatch the ball from the air during his combine workout was impressive." Mar 20 - 5:29 PM
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He apparently caught the ball well at the Combine although that was considered to be an inconsistent trait of his.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rotoworld:

Davis (6'1/188) played two seasons at Cal after transferring from Hawaii, parlaying 64 career catches into 1,071 yards (16.7 YPR) and seven TDs. He also returned two kickoffs for scores. Davis ripped up the Combine, blazing 4.42 with a 38 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-4 broad jump and shredding agility drills. Davis' future at wideout has been an open question among NFL scouts, but his special teams prowess should earn him extended opportunities. Apr 30 - 3:16 PM

An NFC West scout believes Cal WR Trevor Davis could make a roster as a returner.
    "He's a pretty good returner," the scout said. "I don't see him being drafted, but he could make a team as a return man and last receiver on the depth chart." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes that Davis' speed doesn't always translate to the field. Davis is praying for a late-round call. Apr 12 - 2:02 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter says that if he had to identify a mid-round sleeper "in the Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace mold," he would pick Cal WR Trevor Davis.
    The 6-1, 188-pound transfer from Hawaii has essentially been ignored during the draft process, though ESPN analyst Todd McShay tweeted in January that Davis "keeps flashing" during his film study of Jared Goff. Davis had a career-high 40 catches last season for 672 yards and two scores. "I think he could explode in the NFL if given the opportunity," wrote Reuter. "He has the quickness to work the middle of the field, and his ability to snatch the ball from the air during his combine workout was impressive." Mar 20 - 5:29 PM
    Yup ! I'm learning more about TT's fifth round 'surprize' at the time pick for me. Maybe he's more than a 'peanut'!?
    Maybe he can bulk up a bit and get tough and determined and be the Packers 'Steve Smith'?

I read NFL.COM's Chad Reuters thoughts on him and was going to post that but you beat me to the punch pbmax.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/trevor-davis?id=2555413

Draft Analysis:

" The Packers are on to this ascending player who only started 1 year at Cal. He opened some eyes at the Combine with his speed and hands. He can help stretch the field in some of Green Bay's spread sets." --Mark Dulgerian

Here's some decent video on Trevor Davis:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...in-fifth-round

The story:

With Trevor Davis added in fifth round, don't call Packers receivers slow
    BY: Rob Demovsky ... ESPN Staff Writer

More:

Combine leader in 40 yard dash (4.42), vertical jump (38.5 inch), 3-cone (6.6 seconds), and 60 yard shuttle (10.94 seconds). Good athlete.

Per PFF: Trevor Davis averaged 9.5 YAC/reception, 6th-best in this WR class.

Obviously Ted Thompson has high hopes for Trevor Davis as we all do.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries

WSU = LOL
    C.H.U.D.

slight build though - he's an inch taller and 6lbs heavier than Myles White is listed.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

In one-on-one drills, practice-squad cornerback Robertson Daniel pressed close to the line of scrimmage. Davis went deep, catching a pass 30 yards downfield.

It looked like a flash of natural, physical ability. It was something more. In his first steps, Davis noticed Daniel was being “patient” with his go-route. Davis took a wide release off the line of scrimmage, avoiding Daniel’s contact.

Unfettered, his speed took over from there.

“He’s really fast,” Daniel said.

He wasn’t getting burned again. Next rep, Daniel backpedaled to guard against the deep ball. Davis sold the go route, avoided Daniel’s jam off the line of scrimmage. With Daniel’s momentum going backward, Davis stopped on a dime.

The football was in his hands when he turned around.

“That’s route running,” Daniel said, “and understanding who you’re going against. He understands his opponent. Because a lot of guys I go against sometimes just try to swivel their way by me. He was taking a lot of wide releases (to avoid press-man coverage). He was taking wide releases away from my reach out, away from my strike point. Which is really smart.”

That’s something else Davis was in his first NFL practice — quite smart, actually.

If his speed is the key to unlocking a spot on the 53-man roster, his route-running will determine whether he sees the field.

So near the end of his first practice, after Davis shook Daniel for a wide-open catch underneath, it was worth noting cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr.’s booming reaction.

“That’s a good route!” Whitt shouted. “That’s a good route!”
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...cess/84181302/

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Cal boys are smart #bayareapower

Ted knows Wide Receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Ted knows Wide Receivers.
    but not tight ends.

Hey, where is Tank?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I can't wait for training camp and Davis versus Martinez - strike up the band!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    slight build though - he's an inch taller and 6lbs heavier than Myles White is listed.

That was my initial and lasting concern..his size.

It looks like he's a fine athlete and that may compensate until he gets smashed a few times.

(Note: I meant to post the following here, but accidentally posted it in the thread about Adams getting cut.)

For some historical perspective, here is a rookie camp article about another slightly built GB Packer draft pick in 1999, Donald Driver:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/189735661.html

They list him at 180 lbs, various lists and rosters at the time listed him at 180-188.

Recently, of course, there is Abbrederis as a very slightly built receiver. A big difference I see is in musculature. Davis out ran and out jumped Abbrederis by quite a bit, and beat him on the bench press 11 reps to 4. I can't find anything on Driver, except of course that he was world class in high jump, long jump and triple jump in college.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Davis is gonna be real good.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I've been thinking of trying some...can't resist...

Some of the scouting reports on Davis were that he has inconsistent hands.

est 40 receptions, 672 yards and 2 TDs as a senior. Athletic receiver prospect with an inconsistent game. Uses the sidelines well, nicely adjusts to the errant throw and plays heads-up football. Consistently extends to make the reception away from his frame. Competitive, keeps the play in bounds and always working to pick up positive yardage.
    Negative: Does not display consistent hands, does not always come away with the difficult reception and has throws bouncing off his hands. Must improve his route running.
    Analysis: Davis is a talented prospect who's slowly turning his athletic ability into football skill. His return skills could help him catch hold of a roster spot where he'll also lineup as a 5th receiver.
    That does not jive with reports of him at Combine and Senior Bowl where he caught the ball really well. Of course, it's one thing to catch balls in drills, and another thing to do it in a game. He can really add something though to the offense with his speed. The addition of him and Jared Cook, as well as the return of Jordy should give the Packers the ability to stretch the field.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...n=email_160520

Trevor Davis wanted bigger stage, performed on it

Posted May 16, 2016

Mike Spofford ... packers.com senior writer @MikeSpofford

" ...Playing at Washington State in a game rapidly evolving into a shootout, Davis cranked up the contest’s pace even more in the third quarter. Just two minutes and 59 seconds apart, he brought back a pair of kickoffs for touchdowns.

The returns covered 100 and 98 yards, respectively. The speedy receiver became a blur, times two, pulling off in the length of a boxing round a single-game feat most returners never experience in their entire careers. ... "

Blog Entries
    The kid has great potential. He can blaze and you can't coach a player to be fast. He's tiny and may get reamed back there, but we've got to take a chance on him. We've got to get Cobb off the KR teams, so I hope this lad makes it.