Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UDFA Signings

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Callahan is better than Jerry Babb.
    Babb was never fully given a chance to compete for the starting job, what with Rodgers being handed the job after Favre left and TT drafting Brohm. His talent was greatly under-appreciated.

Do you think Callahan is better than B.J. Coleman or T.J. Rubley or any other Packer's backup QB who went with his initials?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Babb was never fully given a chance to compete for the starting job, what with Rodgers being handed the job after Favre left and TT drafting Brohm. His talent was greatly under-appreciated.

Do you think Callahan is better than B.J. Coleman or T.J. Rubley or any other Packer's backup QB who went with his initials?
    I was intrigued by how the offense he ran looked like the Packer offense. Shotgun, vertical routes, ball coming out fast, accurate throws. Callahan must have been pretty competent at the pre-snap read to get the ball out like that. I also like his athleticism, but it's just a highlight reel. I am looking forward to some pre-season fourth quarters now.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

A picture (or moving pictures) is worth a thousand words. Can someone here break down what you see from Callahan in these highlights? The first few throws in the video show off a really nice, accurate deep ball. Seems to drop it in a basket, with decent coverage from the D. He seems to trust his arm to get the ball to his receiver, even in contested spaces. Also seems to have some scrambling ability as well.

Does he dominate enough at this level to make you impressed with his talent relative to competition?

Here's an article about the Packers interest in him: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377206321.html
    That was the only video I could find of him too... I agree with the scout, he looks to have a live arm and great touch.

He's an interesting signing.
    wist

Code:
    The Green Bay Packers signed 19 rookie free agents. The signings were announced Friday by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Undrafted free agent signings:

No-Pos-Name-Ht-Wt-College-HS Hometown

#81, Geronimo Allison, WR, 6-3, 202, Illinois, Riverview, Fla.
    #29, Kentrell Brice, S, 5-11, 200, Louisiana Tech, Ruston, La.
    #43, Beniquez Brown, LB, 6-1, 236, Mississippi State, Florence, Ala.
    #6, Joe Callahan, QB, 6-1, 216, Wesley, Absecon, N.J.
    #20, Makinton Dorleant, CB, 5-11, 182, Northern Iowa, Naples, Fla.
    #57, Jacob Flores, C, 6-3, 300, Dartmouth, Arlington, Texas
    #46, Reggie Gilbert, LB, 6-3, 261, Arizona, Laveen, Ariz.
    #49, David Grinnage, TE, 6-5, 255, North Carolina State, Newark, Del.
    #28, Josh Hawkins, CB, 5-10, 189, East Carolina, Kernersville, N.C.
    #26, Don Jackson, RB, 5-10, 208, Nevada, Elk Grove, Calif.
    #72, Josh James, T, 6-5, 314, Carroll, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
    #41, Randall Jette, CB, 5-11, 193, Massachusetts, Oak Bluffs, Mass.
    #90, Tyler Kuder, DT, 6-3, 307, Idaho State, Payette, Idaho
    #1, Peter Mortell, P, 5-11, 203, Minnesota, Green Bay, Wis.
    #5, Dennis Parks, WR, 6-1, 201, Rice, Converse, Texas
    #45, Manoa Pikula, LB, 6-1, 234, BYU, South Jordan, Utah
    #96, Brian Price, DT, 6-3, 318, Texas San Antonio, Lafayette, Ind.
    #13, Devonte Robinson, WR, 6-1, 188, Utah State, Delray Beach, Fla.
    #16, Herb Waters, WR, 6-0, 188, Miami, Homestead, Fla.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-sign-19-rookie-free-agents/b9554146-c6a7-4362-b196-3878cbfe8295#ixzz47vvol33z
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Two guys may not have passed the physical:

Green Bay - The Packers announced the signing of 19 undrafted rookies, two fewer than the Journal Sentinel had reported as agreeing to terms this past week.

Two of the players - Georgia Tech safety Demond Smith and Alcorn State cornerback Warren Gatewood -- were not on the list and not at practice Friday morning.

Typically, it means that there was an injury concern the Packers had and so they voided the agreement.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/378463401.html
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Another, free agent who wasn't announced was Troy running back Brandon Burks. However, Burks is attending graduation and isn't expected in town until Sunday. The Packers don't announce signings until the player passes his physical, so once Burks does so, the team will announce his signing.

The Packers will only be down one player because they signed undrafted free agent Jacob Flores, a 6-3, 300-pound center from Dartmouth.
    Same article from Spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 44m44 minutes ago
    Breaking: GFL Standout WR Patrick Donahue will workout with the Packers at their mini camp
    I'm very interested to know how this guy does over the weekend. His highlight reel from the German league was impressive. Hey, Boykin got an offer from rookie mini-camp weekend.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm very interested to know how this guy does over the weekend. His highlight reel from the German league was impressive. Hey, Boykin got an offer from rookie mini-camp weekend.
    Could always use some more speedy players in the mix.

Brandon Burks, if he's the guy I'm thinking about, would be that third down speedster dude that we are all lathering for.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Brandon Burks, if he's the guy I'm thinking about, would be that third down speedster dude that we are all lathering for.
    Don Jackson is cut from the same cloth.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The solution is, of course, to not get to third down.

The solution actually is to pass it to RR out in the flat or do a Ripkowski FB dive (since Kuhn is gone).

+1

Run the ball well, win the down and distance battle, will open the play book and makes the offense harder to defend, less predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    The solution actually is to pass it to RR out in the flat or do a Ripkowski FB dive (since Kuhn is gone).
    McCarthy agrees. I take it as self evident that drive has failed

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    That was the only video I could find of him too... I agree with the scout, he looks to have a live arm and great touch.

He's an interesting signing.
    Thanks for the video.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2016&genpos=QB

Comment woodbuck27:

Packer QB Prospect Joe Callahan is 6' 1" Tall and weighs 216 lbs RE: LINK above.

He has a solid accurate arm and good vision. He's not fast (a 4.9 - 5.08... 40 ) yet athletic and scrambles well. He's instinctive and patient and can find a play with his arm or feet when under pressure.

http://herosports.com/collegefootbal...ricks-Schrader

" In case you missed my D3 Football Preseason All-American list, I’m pretty high on Joe Callahan. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior from Wesley is poised to have another stellar season, following another one last year. The gunslinger amassed the second most yards of offense (4,190) and touchdowns (46) in the nation, which put him right behind Mount Union’s Kevin Burke (4,412 and 52). He also completed 300-of-463 passes for a stellar passing efficiency rating of 169.3 and led the nation with 10 games of over 300 passing yards. The kid is a senior this year, and in the high-powered Wesley offense? All bets are off. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...rafted-rookies

Division III standout QB Joe Callahan among Packers' 19 undrafted rookies

May 6, 2016

Rob Demovsky ... ESPN Staff Writer

" Joe Callahan, QB, Wesley College (6-1, 216): Non-combine invitee who made a pre-draft visit to the Packers. Won the Gagliardi Trophy given best football player in Division III. Became the only D-III quarterback to throw for 5,000 yards in a single season (he threw for 5,036). He also threw 55 touchdowns last season, the second most in D-III history."

Comment
    woodbuck27:

He may not become a Packer but he would do just fine in the CFL. The only thing I see that might preclude him from making the NFL is his size.I like his athleticism and instincts to play the position. His vision and focus is impressive.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Okay, my favorite part of the Joe Callahan video is about at the 33 second mark, where he's in the shotgun and he fakes a handoff to . . . nobody, since no one is within about six yards of him.

But what the hell. Maybe he'll be a practice squad guy they can develop into a good backup for when they trade Aaron Rodgers in two years and go on to Brett Hundley as their next HOF QB.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11h11 hours ago
    Kind of intrigued by Alstevis Squirewell beyond his name. New fullback started 26 games at defensive tackle for Newberry.

News & Reporter ‏@CNR_Sports
    @PackerReport Was all-state FB in high school, averaged 10 yards a carry as a sr. Legit 4.6 speed, can probably squat a bus, super good guy

According to Silverstein at JSO, Grinnage was released with an injury designation as well.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/378705821.html

According to Silverstein at JSO, Grinnage was released with an injury designation as well.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/378705821.html
    He has since changed his name to Frownage.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    He has since changed his name to Frownage.
    that made me lol

However, I was thinking:

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck