Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UDFA Signings

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    A question I don't know the answer to:

Are the "man downfield" rules during a punt the same in the NFL and college? That could explain differences in coverage and hang time requirements.
    In college, once the ball is snapped, everyone can go downfield. Don't need the hang time that the NFL needs. Also, that would be why rugby-style punters are liked as they take an extra second or so to get the ball off enabling the coverage team to get further downfield.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    In college, once the ball is snapped, everyone can go downfield. Don't need the hang time that the NFL needs. Also, that would be why rugby-style punters are liked as they take an extra second or so to get the ball off enabling the coverage team to get further downfield.
    I suspected that might be the case. It explains a lot about very effective college punters who just don't transition well into the NFL.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    What's the NFL rule? Everyone has to wait until the ball is punted?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    What's the NFL rule? Everyone has to wait until the ball is punted?
    Gunners can take off at snap, everyone else needs to wait. Was the same way in high school for me.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Andrew Brandt ‏@AndrewBrandt 37m37 minutes ago
    Told player we would sign him for $500 bonus. He said "I only have about $100 now but can get you rest in a week.” I said “No, we pay you.”
    soooo...NOT from stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    soooo...NOT from stanford.

Nor from Ohio State, as any OSU player knows he gets paid to play.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Nor from Ohio State, as any OSU player knows he gets paid to play.

Pete Mortell worked out pre-draft for Zook, Thompson and Wolf. He seems to be from Green Bay as his grandfather and father were/are the Game Clock operators at Lambeau Field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...packers-punter
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Did anyone pick this guy up, looks good on film...

Tanner McEvoy/WI: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2016&genpos=TE

Yes they did.

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 3m3 minutes ago
    Tanner McEvoy ATH Wisconsin to #Seahawks

His position is Athlete.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    According to this article, released in January of this year, http://www.hngn.com/articles/170982/...ers-report.htm TT was really interested Beniquez Brown, the ILB free agent from Miss. St. signed by the Packers after the draft. This could be someone to keep an eye on. The author of the article had a third round grade on Brown. I've seen some other reaction surprised that he was not drafted. Hopefully TT got a steal.

This is also a good article on Brown from Packer Report. A momma's boy, a preparation/film rat...what's not to like. http://http://www.scout.com/nfl/pack...-plays-for-mom
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-04-2016 at 05:59 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    According to this article, released in January of this year, http://www.hngn.com/articles/170982/...ers-report.htm TT was really interested Beniquez Brown, the ILB free agent from Miss. St. signed by the Packers after the draft. This could be someone to keep an eye on. The author of the article had a third round grade on Brown. I've seen some other reaction surprised that he was not drafted. Hopefully TT got a steal.
    Draft Insider had him rated a 4th round prospect, and the #7 ILB. Strange he wasn't taken. http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/...Beniquez-Brown

By draft day, the sites I trust had him as a 7th round pick or UDFA. The encouraging thing is that McGinn is one of the sources that had him as draftable. McGinn had him as the #17 ILB. He tested poorly at the combine, and he's not very big. Then again, a lot of ILBs in this draft tested poorly. Reggie Ragland, Tyler Matakevich, Scooby Wright, Stephen Daniels, and Kentrell Brothers are tested as poorly, but most of those other guys have the size advantage on Brown.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    By draft day, the sites I trust had him as a 7th round pick or UDFA. The encouraging thing is that McGinn is one of the sources that had him as draftable. McGinn had him as the #17 ILB. He tested poorly at the combine, and he's not very big. Then again, a lot of ILBs in this draft tested poorly. Reggie Ragland, Tyler Matakevich, Scooby Wright, Stephen Daniels, and Kentrell Brothers are tested as poorly, but most of those other guys have the size advantage on Brown.
    Okay, whoever drafted Kentrell Brothers needs to give him the nickname "The."
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Did anyone pick this guy up, looks good on film...

Tanner McEvoy/WI: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2016&genpos=TE
    I think he signed with Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Okay, whoever drafted Kentrell Brothers needs to give him the nickname "The."
    If there's a picture of him naked, would it then be the Brother's Johnson???
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Good one!

KYPack

Spoon Silverstein, QB Joe Callahan, Wesley College

The List
    Manoa Pikula, BYU, LB
    Makinton Dormant, UNI, DB
    Kentrell Brice, LaTech, S
    Joe Callahan, Wesley, QB
    For what it's worth, I was driving late at night a few weeks ago and stumbled across a sports program on the radio... they were talking with a "former scout" (don't know who it was) about "sleepers" in the draft and he mentioned Callahan. Said the kid had a live arm, great touch and anticipation... said he had a real chance to stick on an NFL roster. I found a clip of him on youtube, and he sure looked like he could fling a ball.

Anyone have any info on him?? Saw he was listed at 6'1, 215 lbs, and threw for a ton of yds and TDs at the lower levels.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    For what it's worth, I was driving late at night a few weeks ago and stumbled across a sports program on the radio... they were talking with a "former scout" (don't know who it was) about "sleepers" in the draft and he mentioned Callahan. Said the kid had a live arm, great touch and anticipation... said he had a real chance to stick on an NFL roster. I found a clip of him on youtube, and he sure looked like he could fling a ball.

Anyone have any info on him?? Saw he was listed at 6'1, 215 lbs, and threw for a ton of yds and TDs at the lower levels.
    A picture (or moving pictures) is worth a thousand words. Can someone here break down what you see from Callahan in these highlights? The first few throws in the video show off a really nice, accurate deep ball. Seems to drop it in a basket, with decent coverage from the D. He seems to trust his arm to get the ball to his receiver, even in contested spaces. Also seems to have some scrambling ability as well.

Does he dominate enough at this level to make you impressed with his talent relative to competition?

Here's an article about the Packers interest in him: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377206321.html
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Callahan is better than Jerry Babb.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck