Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 UDFA Signings

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    He killed Kenny!
    That Bastard!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    That Bastard!

That was a spoof of this movie (awesome by the way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ-nMc0WGE

I didn't evaluate Kentrell Brice, but I've heard some good things about him.

He tested well

5'11" 200, 4.44 40, 4.40 shuttle, 7.60 3 cone, 42" vertical, 133" broad jump

Kind of weird numbers. He's a little short, great speed for safety, ridiculous vertical and broad jump (Morgan Burnett-like numbers), but below average shuttle and 3 cone. Apparently, he's explosive but stiff. The only other guys I evaluated were WR Allison, TE Grinnage, and ILB Brown. I didn't like Grinnage. Terrible athlete and not even that good of a bloker. I thought Allison was borderline draftable. Solid UDFA at a position where he has little chance to make it. Brown was a solid all around player in college, but he's small and doesn't have enough athleticism to make up for it at the pro level.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I wonder if the punter is a legit threat to Masthay.

Peter Mortell, P, Minnesota: 5-11, 203, no 40. Played at Green Bay Notre Dame. Three-year starter with career average of 44.0, a school record.

The school record is more impressive now that Minnesota plays outdoors.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Andrew Brandt ‏@AndrewBrandt 37m37 minutes ago
    Told player we would sign him for $500 bonus. He said "I only have about $100 now but can get you rest in a week.” I said “No, we pay you.”
    A funny story.

Here's something on UDFA LB Manoa Pikula:

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-fo...en-bay-packers

2016 NFL Draft: BYU LB Manoa Pikula signs UDFA deal with the Green Bay Packers

By: Kevin Kennedy  @Kevin4byu on Apr 30, 2016, 4:02p

" Pikula played inside linebacker for the Cougars from 2011-2015 and improved his stock each year. Over his career, he recorded 81 solo tackles, 63 assisted tackles, 12 tackles for loss, five sacks, five pass deflections, and an interception. With 144 total tackles to his name, 55 of them came in his senior year."

Click on the LINK for more.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers have no depth at Safety, so Brice has a real opportunity.
    Kentrell Brice SS ...Louisiana Tech ....Ranked as the #16 Safety out of 193 SS's by Pro Scouts
    and 375 out of 2774 Overall Draft Prospects.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2016&genpos=SS
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-30-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Thanks to those who helped compile the list of UDFA's. Below is the list with a link to NFL Draft Scout for each name, except for Josh James from Carroll College in MT. I found an article about the Packers interest in him. No stone un-turned, I guess.

The List
    Manoa Pikula, BYU, LB
    Makinton Dorleant, Northern Iowa, DB
    Kentrell Brice, LaTech, S
    Joe Callahan, Wesley, QB
    Beniquez Brown, MissSt, ILB
    Josh Hawkins, East Carolina, CB
    Brandon Burks, Troy, RB
    Don Jackson, Nevada, RB
    Reggie Gilbert, Arizona, DE-OLB
    Geronimo Allison, Illinois, WR
    Brian Price, Texas-San Antonio, DT
    Warren Gatgewood, Alcorn State, DB
    Cory Tucker, Slippery Rock, OL
    David Grinnage, NCState, TE
    Devonte Robinson, Utah State, WR
    Tyler Kuder, Idaho State, DT
    Josh James, Carroll (Mont.) College, OT
    Peter Mortell, Minnesota, Punter I think
    Randall Jette, UMass, CB

Tryouts at Rookie Camp (some its not clear if tryout or deal)
    Kyle Steuck, Northern Michigan, C
    Herb Waters, Miami (Cheesehead TV says he signed a deal)
    Dale Pierson, Iowa State, DE
    Savon Huggins, Northern Iowa, RB
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I wonder if the punter is a legit threat to Masthay.

Peter Mortell, P, Minnesota: 5-11, 203, no 40. Played at Green Bay Notre Dame. Three-year starter with career average of 44.0, a school record.

The school record is more impressive now that Minnesota plays outdoors.
    Nice article about him http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/4...en-bay-packers

Masthay would seem to be vulnerable - he got outpunted last year but the guy couldn't hold. This guy can - and apparently knows how to make the kicker smile.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I read one report about punting tryouts held at the combine or somewhere, which was said to have had all the top prospects in attendance. The writer stated that there was complete agreement among the scouts that this year's crop of punters was absolutely atrocious, the worst in years, and that not one was ready for the NFL. They said while some had distance, their get-off times and hang times were no where near acceptable for the NFL.

One scout said it was too bad, because plenty of teams needed punters but there just aren't any good ones available, so the current veteran punters would be kept.

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 1h1 hour ago
    Packers sign Rice WR Dennis Parks http://www.chron.com/sports/rice/art...witter-desktop … via @houstonchron
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Thanks to those who helped compile the list of UDFA's. Below is the list with a link to NFL Draft Scout for each name, except for Josh James from Carroll College in MT. I found an article about the Packers interest in him. No stone un-turned, I guess.

The List
    Manoa Pikula, BYU, LB
    Joe Callahan, Wesley, QB
    Brandon Burks, Troy, RB
    Don Jackson, Nevada, RB
    Peter Mortell, Minnesota, Punter
    Randall Jette, UMass, CB
    Dennis Parks, Rice, WR

Savon Huggins, Northern Iowa, RB[/QUOTE]
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wow, there are some very impressive UDFA's signed yesterday. Geronimo Allison will be interesting to watch. Please let him stay healthy during TC. Lately it seems like late round or UDFA WR's seem to get hurt early in camp and then basically have no shot.

Kentrell Brice looks like an enforcer at Safety.

Josh Hawkins looks like he has ball skills and speed to burn.

Brandon Burks is in the mold of a DuJuan Harris body type (both from Troy). Find his Pro Day workout. Dude did 20 or 21 reps on the bench and had a 37 inch vertical. Super athletic. Could be a change of pace back, but can he pick up the blitz?

There were others who stood out too. Should bring some good competition to TC.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

The List
    Manoa Pikula, BYU, LB
    Joe Callahan, Wesley, QB
    Brandon Burks, Troy, RB
    Don Jackson, Nevada, RB
    Peter Mortell, Minnesota, Punter I think
    Randall Jette, UMass, CB

Savon Huggins, Northern Iowa, RB
    A lot of work in your post...I appreciate that.

Thank You.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I read one report about punting tryouts held at the combine or somewhere, which was said to have had all the top prospects in attendance. The writer stated that there was complete agreement among the scouts that this year's crop of punters was absolutely atrocious, the worst in years, and that not one was ready for the NFL. They said while some had distance, their get-off times and hang times were no where near acceptable for the NFL.

One scout said it was too bad, because plenty of teams needed punters but there just aren't any good ones available, so the current veteran punters would be kept.
    I wonder what head coach will be bold enough to give Tom Hackett a try? (We don't call ours Stubby for nothing.) Maybe all these scouts are the type that can't or won't think out of the box. Hang time is not that crucial a yardstick when a guy is running a few steps before he even kicks the ball and can directional punt. It seems from the film that Hackett's coverage team usually had more than enough time to get downfield.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I wonder what head coach will be bold enough to give Tom Hackett a try? (We don't call ours Stubby for nothing.) Maybe all these scouts are the type that can't or won't think out of the box. Hang time is not that crucial a yardstick when a guy is running a few steps before he even kicks the ball and can directional punt. It seems from the film that Hackett's coverage team usually had more than enough time to get downfield.
    A question I don't know the answer to:

Are the "man downfield" rules during a punt the same in the NFL and college? That could explain differences in coverage and hang time requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I wonder what head coach will be bold enough to give Tom Hackett a try?
    Hackett was signed as an UDFA by the Jets yesterday. They also drafted another Aussie punter from Sam Houston State in the 7th round.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Hackett was signed as an UDFA by the Jets yesterday. They also drafted another Aussie punter from Sam Houston State in the 7th round.
    We missed an opportunity there IMO.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Funny quote by Hackett...evidently he also has a good sense of humor:

"The main reason I'm playing this sport is because deep down, I'm fat and I don't like running very far," Hackett told ESPN's Chris Fowler during a college football awards show. "So I'm running 20-odd yards on and 20-odd yards off, and that's about all I got for you."

NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 44m44 minutes ago
    Breaking: GFL Standout WR Patrick Donahue will workout with the Packers at their mini camp

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds 44m44 minutes ago
    Breaking: GFL Standout WR Patrick Donahue will workout with the Packers at their mini camp
    Watch him in action.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3765872/...ghts/278109375

http://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/disc...hwabisch-hall/ This guy is impressive. Look at his measurables! He's not a native German like Moritz Boehringer, he is an American who played college ball here and took a different path to being discovered. His comp is Percy Harvin; hopefully in physicality only.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.