Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    330lbs is too strict for a minimum requirement for a LT. Plenty of LTs that are 320lbs or less: Tyron Smith, Joe Staley, Jason Matthews, Terron Armstead, Branden Albert, Eric Fisher, Donald Penn, Eugene Monroe, Joe Thomas, Duane Brown, Anthony Constanzo, Luke Joeckel, Taylor Lewan. There are more, but I listed some bigger names. Many are under 310lbs. I think a good weight for Spriggs will be 315-320lbs. I don't see him putting on almost 30 pounds. He's got LT feet, so he doesn't need to be 330lbs. He might lose some of the athleticism at that weight.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I would amend my grades slightly to reflect that the Blake Martinez pick has been growing on me as I learn more about him. Picks like Khyri Thornton fail because they lack the effort or ability to learn the job or refine their skills to compete at the next level. According to his coaches, Martinez gives maximum physical and mental effort and prepares incessantly.

I would also add even more to my enthusiasm for the Lowry pick. He has the size and motor and intelligence to be a very, very good DE for us.

The last few years the draft seemed to have fallen badly for us. This year, things may have worked out to such a degree that Ted was still grabbing his fourth rounders in the fifth and sixth round.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.