Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am loath to do this sort of thing, because I do not know college players well, and what do I know about what it takes to be an NFL player? But, what the heck, might as well try it one time.

I do very little about studying players before the draft, but find out as much as I can about the Packers picks after the draft, So here are my grades based on my perceived value for the spot the player was taken. For example, a late round "A" means it was a great pick at that time, not that the player is a better player than an early round "C". It also doesn't mean that I think he has a better chance for a long NFL career than the early round "C". It does mean that I think he has a better chance than a typical late round pick. My grades factor in need. A good pick at a position of need is graded higher than an equally good pick at a position of lesser need.

Here goes:

Clark (B+) - young, lots of potential, hit a serious need for GB. Perhaps more importamtly, I think he has little "bust potential". May not be great, but likely to be a solid player for a long time. Very good pick for late in the 1st round.

Spriggs (B+) - I want to give this pick an A because of how badly GB apparently wanted him, giving up two picks to move up. A lot of what has been said about him could have been said about Clifton, with one exception that I think is huge. Spriggs is said to not have a good punch, Clifton's was outstanding. Clifton's punch is what made his pass pro so good. I remember an article about Clifton in which rival pass rushers said his punch stunned them at times, made them stop dead just to retain balance. Great feet keep you in the rushers way, a great punch keeps them well away from the QB. Clifton had both. I hope Spriggs can be taught that.

Fackrell (B) - I like the pick, but I'm not sure it was a special pick at that spot in the draft.

Martinez (A) - I don't know why completely, but I think this guy might be viewed in the future like the pick of Linsley. This pick hit a big need for GB with one of the better prepared candidates in this draft to fit that need. At this point of the draft, it is a great pick. Martinez sure has his coaches' support for his work in coverage. One noted that while his 40 time wasn't great, his 3-cone and shuttle times were very good, and he felt those better indicated what he does in coverage. The guy is all football and maximum effort. If he fails, it won't be from lack of preparation or poor effort. Great pick at that spot. Need + players suitability to meet that need relative to other players in the draft bumps the grade on this pick way up, even if Martinez isn't exactly what you want at the position.

Lowry (C+) - I like him, size gives him the "+" in spite of the fact he was apparently born without arms. Otherwise, just a run-of-the-mill pick for that spot.

Davis (C+) - I think he has some things going for him, speed and hands give him a "+"; but I'm not sure the roster has a spot for him. If GB had a big hole in the 4th or 5th WR spot, I would rate this pick a lot higher.

Murphy (B) - Real solid pick for the 6th round. May never become a player, most 6th rounders don't. But I think he has a lot to work with, it matched a position of need, so a real good pick for that spot in the draft.

Overall, I still grade the draft an "A" for the reasons stated in my earlier post. The total is really more than the average of its parts. No weak picks, no "who?" picks, no picks not directed at a need. All picks were players with perceived shots to contribute in some way.
    Last edited by Patler; 05-06-2016 at 09:17 AM.