Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Clark:

19 turning 20 this year? He could become a monster as he still has time to grow. Unlike other need picks (thanks BJ!) Packers had the pick of the NT litter at 27. Their record with DL early isn't fantabulous, but given they had the first NT off the board, I am hopeful they projected this right.

Spriggs:

Physically everything you want in a left tackle but not yet showing all that talent on the field. Clifton was more accomplished though by no means a devastating blocker. Wahle was unfinished and astoundingly athletic. He needs to deliver more of his ability on the field but the Packers have made this work before. He's athletic like they prefer and you have to think his pass blocking will be ahead of his run blocking, which will help keep Rodgers upright. I get a whiff a Colledge when I read that he can whiff on inside rushes. We'll see.

Fackrell:

The new LeRoy Butler. I'm serious. Rush the passer with speed from edge, stout though not an anchor like Perry, has safety experience and has demonstrated fluidity in coverage. Mr. Fix-It. He's a Swiss Army Knife, Batman's utility belt and restarting your computer all at once. Everyone else was looking for hybrid safety/ILBs like the dude from the Cardinals. Ted showed those new to coveting athleticism that they know nothing. Will be third to Matthews and Peppers in number of spots he lines up. Would cause John Madden's Reggie White position tracker to breakdown. Meet your safety/Elephant hybrid. A Selephant.

Martinez:

If he turns up in early camp reports as being the least bit athletic compared to his compatriots, I will literally start to cry. He has instincts that I am not sure Ryan has had the time to develop being new to position.

Lowry:

Finally, a showdown between Patler and I about whether arm length can make the player. Either this guy stinks or I have to repost all of Patler's material followed by a +1 for a week.

Davis:

Someone paid to write about the NFL said the closest thing to Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace in this draft. Given the track record of the Packers and drafting receivers, I am beyond excited. The only pitfall is that he has had some issues with his hands. But his testing at the Combine and Pro Day apparently showed his hands weren't completely useless. A legit speedster would make this offense frightening to behold.

Murphy:

Meet your new Right Tackle. I think he sticks. Stanford is a good training ground these days.

Overall

I don't like need based drafts. Ted had bad luck with them in 2011 and 2012. Difference here is that unlike Worthy types, these players seem to fit the profile that have had success before with Green Bay. And Clark should have a very good shot at excelling based on youth, position match, available reps and the first NT off the board.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Lowry:

Finally, a showdown between Patler and I about whether arm length can make the player. Either this guy stinks or I have to repost all of Patler's material followed by a +1 for a week.
    I think Patler at least agrees that you need arms. Lowry is maybe the first player I've watched where you really notice the lack of length. So many impact plays seem to slip through his alligator arms. Its not just the arms either, its the combination of short arms, wide chest, and long torso. He's shaped like three midgets in a trench coat. To finish plays his sternum has to touch who he's trying to tackle which leads to lots of lunging and an inordinate amount of time on the ground for a guy as athletic as he is.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think Patler at least agrees that you need arms. Lowry is maybe the first player I've watched where you really notice the lack of length. So many impact plays seem to slip through his alligator arms. Its not just the arms either, its the combination of short arms, wide chest, and long torso. He's shaped like three midgets in a trench coat. To finish plays his sternum has to touch who he's trying to tackle which leads to lots of lunging and an inordinate amount of time on the ground for a guy as athletic as he is.

That's some funny stuff right there.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Agreed, both of us do accept that you need arms. This will just help narrow down how long they need to be.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Agreed, both of us do accept that you need arms. This will just help narrow down how long they need to be.
    As a minimum, I think the guy should have arms long enough so that he can touch his palms together in front of his chest. Does Lowry meet this requirement?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    As a minimum, I think the guy should have arms long enough so that he can touch his palms together in front of his chest. Does Lowry meet this requirement?

I think he could manage that. But f he stood straight up I doubt he reach the change in his pocket.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I think he could manage that. But f he stood straight up I doubt he reach the change in his pocket.
    I hope he has a girlfriend because it looks like his arms are so short he can't even beat off.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Can someone photoshop an alligator head on him? We'll name him Wally.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Can someone photoshop an alligator head on him? We'll name him Wally.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers