Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

Grade the 2016 draft

Post your grades here rats. Either overall grade, or grade for each pick. Explanations optional.

Please submit all grades in emoji form.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

B+

This was a quality over quantity draft. Ted apparently likes his team's depth and was specifically targeting certain positions. He no longer feels the need to gather draft picks the way he used to.

As Patler mentioned in another thread, Ted's use of free agency prevented the creation of new holes in the roster and filled the hole at TE.

Once again, the players drafted are a bunch of Ted types as I mentioned in a previous thread.

Good draft.

oh...b+ i guess. tt certainly didn't go "the best player available" route and drafted for need. speed, high energy, toughness, brains, seemed to be a focus. let's hope they all pan out.
    Last edited by gbgary; 05-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.

C+ I don't see a star quality player in the bunch - but it's still early - who knows.

Clark B- I wish it hadn't been a D Lineman; Clark is at least not a big clod (apparently).

Spriggs B+ possibly a move toward size and strength

Fackrell B- I was hoping for a future Clay Matthews in the first round; I guess there's a slim chance Fackrell is that.

Martinez A- It sounds like he is good and ready to play/not a project - Maybe.

Lowery D+ Another D Lineman, and one with a low ceiling to boot - apparently

Davis C- I really didn't want the Packers to draft a WR; Davis, however, sounds like he might be a good one. Maybe they cut Davante Adams and keep him - yeah right.

Murphy C He sounds OK for a 6th rounder.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'd say B+. I thought getting Martinez in 4th was really good value. As things developed Friday night, I was hoping TT would take him in the 3rd. Spriggs and Davis are the wildcards. If Spriggs can get stronger, he has the ability to be an upgrade at LT. Davis has the ability to give the Packers some much needed speed at WR.:: If not though, the Packers used a lot of picks on these guys. I like Clark better than a lot of people here. He'a only 20 years old, and may have some growing to do.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 05-01-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Clark: B+
    Spriggs: C-
    Fackrell: B
    Martinez: B+
    Lowry: B-
    Davis: A-
    Murphy: C

C

i like the two o-lineman picks, thats about it

Overall - A

It has nothing to do with my opinions on the players or comparisons to other players who might've been available at the time the picks were made. My grade is based solely on the following:

Each pick addressed a need or concern about the existing roster and the performances during 2015.

Each pick acquired a player that seemed well-regarded at that point in the draft.

There wee no unreasonable longshots. There were no luxury pics for a position without a need. There were no duplications, multiple picks addressing a single roster issue.

For those reasons, this draft is an "A".
    Last edited by Patler; 05-01-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Each pick addressed a need or concern about the existing roster and the performances during 2015.

Each pick acquired a player that seemed well-regarded at that point in the draft.

There wee no unreasonable longshots. There were no luxury pics for a position without a need. There were no duplications, multiple picks addressing a single roster issue.

yup

Kenny Clark
    Grade:

I don't know how this pick manages to be boring. He already appears to have all the traits of the few guys who've actually thrived with us in the Capers era and he's the youngest NFL player I've ever seen. While the game is slowing down for him, he'll still be getting bigger and faster. I blame Raji, for making this pick feel contrived.

Jason Spriggs
    Grade:

Good value at a need position and he's already giving the Bears the bird before he even set foot on the field. Its also a bit exciting to have a real physical specimen at OT.

Kyler Fackrell
    Grade:

Guy in the athletic lengthy mold where Ted has managed to find guys who make much better pros than they ever were in college. Reason to believe he might have versatility too. But he's old.

Blake Martinez
    Grade:

Fresh horse for the infamous ILB competition. We should get plenty of opportunities to see what he can do. Seems to have some coverage ability. Probably a good idea to give the Stanford guy the radio helmet.

Dean Lowry
    Grade:

Goofy DE who gets described as "try hard" and "lunch pail" and "white" but proves a great athlete at the combine. Doesn't look like he could touch the top of his head.

Trevor Davis
    Grade:

Wish we had this guy last year. Blazing fast with big gluey hands and the ability to track it over his shoulder. Has a kick returner's wiggle. Listening to Packers brass they seem proud of themselves with this one. Should dramatically up the level of competition in camp.

Kyle Murphy
    Grade:

Another smartypants from Stanford to compete for the jobs of our backup OL who underperformed when needed last year. Certainly looks the part and seems like good value. Probably the new Barclay.

3irty1 pretty much nailed it for me.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I don't know about no damn emojis, but I do have some training camp room assignments to recommend:

Kyler Fackrell and Clay Matthews -- This is a no brainer. Fackrell needs to lose his Mormon nice guy image and grow some fangs. A few weeks with the Claymaker and Fackrell will be breathing fire and growing hair through his helmet.

Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels -- Another no brainer. Daniels is a Jersey boy playing his football in the Midwest. Daniels will show the namby-pamby kid from UCLA how to play defense like a "buzz saw." Just keep Clark way the hell away from Datone Jones!

Dean Lowry and Julius Peppers -- Probably another natural arrangement. Both guys are about the same size. Peppers started out as a DE. If half of what Peppers knows rubs off on Lowry, we'll have a probowler on our hands.

Trevor Davis and Aaron Rodgers -- We all know that Arod won't throw to any new turds unless he trusts them...alot! So what better way to generate trust between these two guys than to put Davis in a position to overhear Arod's phone calls to Olivia?

Jason Spriggs and TJ Lang -- Spriggs is got the body type just not the attitude. Lang has a mean streak from here to Chicago. After rooming with Lang for a few weeks, Spriggs will be in the mood to tear the facemask off of Nkamakin Suh.

Kyle Murphy and Josh Sitton
    -- Murphy's got a lot to learn before he can contribute and Sitton has the best incentive in the world to train him no matter how long it takes. Sitton doesn't want to play OT ever again.

Blake Martinez and Dom Capers -- Who else? If Martinez is going to play ILB and wear the wired helmet, he's gonna have to learn the defense backwards and forwards. Who better to learn it from if Wist can't spend a few weeks away from home?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Here's what Chad Reuter (NFL.Com) put down as a Grade for the Packers. In the LINK at the bottom of this post...you can see how the Packers Grade by Reuter, compares to every other NFL team:

Green Bay Packers

Draft picks: Kenny Clark (No. 27 overall), Jason Spriggs (No. 48 overall), Kyler Fackrell (No. 88 overall), Blake Martinez (No. 131), Dean Lowry (No. 137), Trevor Davis (No. 163), Kyle Murphy (No. 200)

Day 1 grade: B+
    Day 2 grade: B
    Day 3 grade: B+

Overall grade: B+

The skinny:

" There wasn't much question that the Packers were going to bolster their front seven with their opening pick. Another no-brainer will be fan comparisons of the careers of their selection, Clark, and two available Alabama studs: linebacker Reggie Ragland and nose tackle Jarran Reed.

Green Bay desperately needed help at the tackle position, and trading up for Spriggs filled that hole. It was an atypical move for Ted Thompson, giving up a mid-round choice for a nine-spot move upwards. Fackrell has good potential to help rush the passer on the outside.

The Packers needed an inside linebacker, and they got one with athleticism and intelligence in Martinez. Lowry is a five-technique who will be part of the rotation. Davis is a probable returner who showed the best hands at the combine. Murphy gives more depth at the tackle, though fans are hoping the team gets a good tight end as an undrafted free agent."
    Chad Reuter

NFC Teams:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-for-nfc-teams

AFC Teams:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-for-afc-teams
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    fans are hoping the team gets a good tight end as an undrafted free agent." Chad Reuter
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Clark - A - The best NT in the draft. The big man fills a big need
    Spriggs - D - Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Definitely not worth trading up to get the second coming of Alan Barbe. If the Packers had a good O-line coach, I might be more hopeful of this pick.
    Fackrell - C - Old and coming off an injury
    Martinez - A- - Good value pick at a position of dire need.
    Lowry - A- - 296 pounds and runs a 4.85!? That and high motor are worth a late 4th easily.
    Davis - B+ - Speed and return ability, but which returning WR does not make the team?
    Murphy - C - Needs strength and coaching to be a player, so he won't amount to much here.

Overall C+ Not a great draft, but not likely to be a disaster.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I don't know about grades, but I like the positoinal holes that were filled (I also recently wrote this very comment about Holly Halston).

I do notice that most of these guys tested really well - the one thing that stands out is the speed. Frackwell or Factwell or whoever that is turns out to have decent speed. Martinez is the god of my favorite drill, the 3 cone, and Davis is the speed demon that so many on this board wished for (albeit a project).

So I like it at this point. And I expect two UDFA's to make the team, too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Clark:

19 turning 20 this year? He could become a monster as he still has time to grow. Unlike other need picks (thanks BJ!) Packers had the pick of the NT litter at 27. Their record with DL early isn't fantabulous, but given they had the first NT off the board, I am hopeful they projected this right.

Spriggs:

Physically everything you want in a left tackle but not yet showing all that talent on the field. Clifton was more accomplished though by no means a devastating blocker. Wahle was unfinished and astoundingly athletic. He needs to deliver more of his ability on the field but the Packers have made this work before. He's athletic like they prefer and you have to think his pass blocking will be ahead of his run blocking, which will help keep Rodgers upright. I get a whiff a Colledge when I read that he can whiff on inside rushes. We'll see.

Fackrell:

The new LeRoy Butler. I'm serious. Rush the passer with speed from edge, stout though not an anchor like Perry, has safety experience and has demonstrated fluidity in coverage. Mr. Fix-It. He's a Swiss Army Knife, Batman's utility belt and restarting your computer all at once. Everyone else was looking for hybrid safety/ILBs like the dude from the Cardinals. Ted showed those new to coveting athleticism that they know nothing. Will be third to Matthews and Peppers in number of spots he lines up. Would cause John Madden's Reggie White position tracker to breakdown. Meet your safety/Elephant hybrid. A Selephant.

Martinez:

If he turns up in early camp reports as being the least bit athletic compared to his compatriots, I will literally start to cry. He has instincts that I am not sure Ryan has had the time to develop being new to position.

Lowry:

Finally, a showdown between Patler and I about whether arm length can make the player. Either this guy stinks or I have to repost all of Patler's material followed by a +1 for a week.

Davis:

Someone paid to write about the NFL said the closest thing to Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace in this draft. Given the track record of the Packers and drafting receivers, I am beyond excited. The only pitfall is that he has had some issues with his hands. But his testing at the Combine and Pro Day apparently showed his hands weren't completely useless. A legit speedster would make this offense frightening to behold.

Murphy:

Meet your new Right Tackle. I think he sticks. Stanford is a good training ground these days.

Overall

I don't like need based drafts. Ted had bad luck with them in 2011 and 2012. Difference here is that unlike Worthy types, these players seem to fit the profile that have had success before with Green Bay. And Clark should have a very good shot at excelling based on youth, position match, available reps and the first NT off the board.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The interesting thing about Ted Thompson is he always says he take the top value on his draft board and doesn't necessarily draft for need, but he is full of shit. He always drafts for need. The only pick I can remember that wasn't a need pick was Aaron Rodgers. So it was a no brainer that he was going defense front seven in the first round and it wasn't a real shocker that he took a defensive tackle. I have also learned over the years that it is really hard to figure out the draft two days after it is completed. Talent is really hard to sort out. I don't think you need three years to judge a draft, but you need a season or two.

Kenny Clark:
    As far as the defensive tackles go he was by far one of the more underrated top tier guys. I thought the Packers were interested but in the second round of the draft. He probably wouldn't have made it that far. After watching tape on some of the other guys he had more of impact for his team at the position. If Raji would have signed his contract maybe Thompson would have gone a different direction, but I think as the draft played out on day 1 this was the guy that Thompson wanted. He offered no medical risk and Thompson isn't the type to get stuck behind the 8 ball with injuries out of the gate. Justin Harrell taught him that lesson. Clark is a strong kid that seems to be pretty dedicated. I love the fact that he was an elite wrestler in high school. He offers a bit more pass rush than the other top tier guys.

Jason Spriggs:
    Not a bad pick, seems to be a finesse guy instead of a mauler and that isn't exactly a bad thing as a tackle. Offensive linemen have to be able to move their feet in the NFL and this guy is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft outside of Tunsil. He was the last of the Top Tier guys on my list and the Packers made the right move to go up and get him. He is tackle, but you know the Packers are going to try and work him all over the place. If he has a good camp he could probably push Baktiari.

Kyler Frackrell:
    Big kid that times good. After watching some film on him I think he lacks that instinct that will allow him to play aggressively. His play sort of reminds me of AJ Hawk. Assignment sure and can make plays when he is in position but lacks dynamic instincts. He will struggle to be a play maker in the NFL.

Blake Martinez
    Sorry Blake for forgetting you. I am sure on some thread months back I mentioned this guy. He is built for the position and has solid workout numbers along with solid statistics. He was a tackling machine in college and he likes to work out and take care of his body. Other than that I couldn't find any meaningful film on him so I apologize.

Dean Lowry:
    He holds the point of attack really well as long as his technique holds and he doesn't get high. He has a really quick first step and if he is shooting gaps he is in the backfield. He moves well for a man his size, really well. Issue with him is his short arms, he usually beats the offensive linemen off the ball but he can't disengage, in one on one pass rushing situations he gets stood up because the offensive linemen can extend his arms. I love his movement off the snap. He has a great stance, powerful I just really worry that he is going to constantly get hung up at the next level. In terms of value of the pick he could surprise some people and be a mainstay on the defensive line.

Trevor Davis:
    This kid can fly, his highlight tape looks like a video game. I just question his route running if he is not running bubble screens, and go routes. I think his kick returning abilities have something to do with his selection here and his workout numbers are hard to deny, but he was drafted because his numbers say he has potential and this late in the draft Thompson was willing to gamble a little bit. I don't love the pick and think he will be more comparable to David Clowney than a receiver that is going to contribute to this roster. He is going to frustrate coaches because he flashes big time, he makes ridiculous catches, but then he will disappear and struggle with the route tree.

Kyle Murphy: I think this kid offers some great value and has been coached up at Stanford. He isn't a great athlete, He could probably play guard or right tackle but he doesn't really move well enough as left tackle to protect in pass pro. He is pretty sound with foot work and technique but he just isn't a great athlete. He gets a good jump on the snap count and that is what saves him in pass pro.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 05-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Lowry:

Finally, a showdown between Patler and I about whether arm length can make the player. Either this guy stinks or I have to repost all of Patler's material followed by a +1 for a week.
    I think Patler at least agrees that you need arms. Lowry is maybe the first player I've watched where you really notice the lack of length. So many impact plays seem to slip through his alligator arms. Its not just the arms either, its the combination of short arms, wide chest, and long torso. He's shaped like three midgets in a trench coat. To finish plays his sternum has to touch who he's trying to tackle which leads to lots of lunging and an inordinate amount of time on the ground for a guy as athletic as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The interesting thing about Ted Thompson is he always says he take the top value on his draft board and doesn't necessarily draft for need, but he is full of shit. He always drafts for need. The only pick I can remember that wasn't a need pick was Aaron Rodgers. So it was a no brainer that he was going defense front seven in the first round and it wasn't a real shocker that he took a defensive tackle. I have also learned over the years that it is really hard to figure out the draft two days after it is completed. Talent is really hard to sort out. I don't think you need three years to judge a draft, but you need a season or two.

Kenny Clark:
    As far as the defensive tackles go he was by far one of the more underrated top tier guys. I thought the Packers were interested but in the second round of the draft. He probably wouldn't have made it that far. After watching tape on some of the other guys he had more of impact for his team at the position. If Raji would have signed his contract maybe Thompson would have gone a different direction, but I think as the draft played out on day 1 this was the guy that Thompson wanted. He offered no medical risk and Thompson isn't the type to get stuck behind the 8 ball with injuries out of the gate. Justin Harrell taught him that lesson. Clark is a strong kid that seems to be pretty dedicated. I love the fact that he was an elite wrestler in high school. He offers a bit more pass rush than the other top tier guys.

Jason Spriggs:
    Not a bad pick, seems to be a finesse guy instead of a mauler and that isn't exactly a bad thing as a tackle. Offensive linemen have to be able to move their feet in the NFL and this guy is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft outside of Tunsil. He was the last of the Top Tier guys on my list and the Packers made the right move to go up and get him. He is tackle, but you know the Packers are going to try and work him all over the place. If he has a good camp he could probably push Baktiari.

Kyler Frackrell:
    Big kid that times good. After watching some film on him I think he lacks that instinct that will allow him to play aggressively. His play sort of reminds me of AJ Hawk. Assignment sure and can make plays when he is in position but lacks dynamic instincts. He will struggle to be a play maker in the NFL.

Dean Lowry:
    He holds the point of attack really well as long as his technique holds and he doesn't get high. He has a really quick first step and if he is shooting gaps he is in the backfield. He moves well for a man his size, really well. Issue with him is his short arms, he usually beats the offensive linemen off the ball but he can't disengage, in one on one pass rushing situations he gets stood up because the offensive linemen can extend his arms. I love his movement off the snap. He has a great stance, powerful I just really worry that he is going to constantly get hung up at the next level. In terms of value of the pick he could surprise some people and be a mainstay on the defensive line.

Trevor Davis:
    This kid can fly, his highlight tape looks like a video game. I just question his route running if he is not running bubble screens, and go routes. I think his kick returning abilities have something to do with his selection here and his workout numbers are hard to deny, but he was drafted because his numbers say he has potential and this late in the draft Thompson was willing to gamble a little bit. I don't love the pick and think he will be more comparable to David Clowney than a receiver that is going to contribute to this roster. He is going to frustrate coaches because he flashes big time, he makes ridiculous catches, but then he will disappear and struggle with the route tree.

Kyle Murphy: I think this kid offers some great value and has been coached up at Stanford. He isn't a great athlete, He could probably play guard or right tackle but he doesn't really move well enough as left tackle to protect in pass pro. He is pretty sound with foot work and technique but he just isn't a great athlete. He gets a good jump on the snap count and that is what saves him in pass pro.
    Blake Martinez gets the silent treatment.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson