Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think Patler at least agrees that you need arms. Lowry is maybe the first player I've watched where you really notice the lack of length. So many impact plays seem to slip through his alligator arms. Its not just the arms either, its the combination of short arms, wide chest, and long torso. He's shaped like three midgets in a trench coat. To finish plays his sternum has to touch who he's trying to tackle which leads to lots of lunging and an inordinate amount of time on the ground for a guy as athletic as he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Agreed, both of us do accept that you need arms. This will just help narrow down how long they need to be.
    As a minimum, I think the guy should have arms long enough so that he can touch his palms together in front of his chest. Does Lowry meet this requirement?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    As a minimum, I think the guy should have arms long enough so that he can touch his palms together in front of his chest. Does Lowry meet this requirement?

I think he could manage that. But f he stood straight up I doubt he reach the change in his pocket.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think Patler at least agrees that you need arms. Lowry is maybe the first player I've watched where you really notice the lack of length. So many impact plays seem to slip through his alligator arms. Its not just the arms either, its the combination of short arms, wide chest, and long torso. He's shaped like three midgets in a trench coat. To finish plays his sternum has to touch who he's trying to tackle which leads to lots of lunging and an inordinate amount of time on the ground for a guy as athletic as he is.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The interesting thing about Ted Thompson is he always says he take the top value on his draft board and doesn't necessarily draft for need, but he is full of shit. He always drafts for need. The only pick I can remember that wasn't a need pick was Aaron Rodgers. So it was a no brainer that he was going defense front seven in the first round and it wasn't a real shocker that he took a defensive tackle. I have also learned over the years that it is really hard to figure out the draft two days after it is completed. Talent is really hard to sort out. I don't think you need three years to judge a draft, but you need a season or two.

Kenny Clark:
    As far as the defensive tackles go he was by far one of the more underrated top tier guys. I thought the Packers were interested but in the second round of the draft. He probably wouldn't have made it that far. After watching tape on some of the other guys he had more of impact for his team at the position. If Raji would have signed his contract maybe Thompson would have gone a different direction, but I think as the draft played out on day 1 this was the guy that Thompson wanted. He offered no medical risk and Thompson isn't the type to get stuck behind the 8 ball with injuries out of the gate. Justin Harrell taught him that lesson. Clark is a strong kid that seems to be pretty dedicated. I love the fact that he was an elite wrestler in high school. He offers a bit more pass rush than the other top tier guys.

Jason Spriggs:
    Not a bad pick, seems to be a finesse guy instead of a mauler and that isn't exactly a bad thing as a tackle. Offensive linemen have to be able to move their feet in the NFL and this guy is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft outside of Tunsil. He was the last of the Top Tier guys on my list and the Packers made the right move to go up and get him. He is tackle, but you know the Packers are going to try and work him all over the place. If he has a good camp he could probably push Baktiari.

Kyler Frackrell:
    Big kid that times good. After watching some film on him I think he lacks that instinct that will allow him to play aggressively. His play sort of reminds me of AJ Hawk. Assignment sure and can make plays when he is in position but lacks dynamic instincts. He will struggle to be a play maker in the NFL.

Blake Martinez
    Sorry Blake for forgetting you. I am sure on some thread months back I mentioned this guy. He is built for the position and has solid workout numbers along with solid statistics. He was a tackling machine in college and he likes to work out and take care of his body. Other than that I couldn't find any meaningful film on him so I apologize.

Dean Lowry:
    He holds the point of attack really well as long as his technique holds and he doesn't get high. He has a really quick first step and if he is shooting gaps he is in the backfield. He moves well for a man his size, really well. Issue with him is his short arms, he usually beats the offensive linemen off the ball but he can't disengage, in one on one pass rushing situations he gets stood up because the offensive linemen can extend his arms. I love his movement off the snap. He has a great stance, powerful I just really worry that he is going to constantly get hung up at the next level. In terms of value of the pick he could surprise some people and be a mainstay on the defensive line.

Trevor Davis:
    This kid can fly, his highlight tape looks like a video game. I just question his route running if he is not running bubble screens, and go routes. I think his kick returning abilities have something to do with his selection here and his workout numbers are hard to deny, but he was drafted because his numbers say he has potential and this late in the draft Thompson was willing to gamble a little bit. I don't love the pick and think he will be more comparable to David Clowney than a receiver that is going to contribute to this roster. He is going to frustrate coaches because he flashes big time, he makes ridiculous catches, but then he will disappear and struggle with the route tree.

Kyle Murphy: I think this kid offers some great value and has been coached up at Stanford. He isn't a great athlete, He could probably play guard or right tackle but he doesn't really move well enough as left tackle to protect in pass pro. He is pretty sound with foot work and technique but he just isn't a great athlete. He gets a good jump on the snap count and that is what saves him in pass pro.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 05-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The interesting thing about Ted Thompson is he always says he take the top value on his draft board and doesn't necessarily draft for need, but he is full of shit. He always drafts for need. The only pick I can remember that wasn't a need pick was Aaron Rodgers. So it was a no brainer that he was going defense front seven in the first round and it wasn't a real shocker that he took a defensive tackle. I have also learned over the years that it is really hard to figure out the draft two days after it is completed. Talent is really hard to sort out. I don't think you need three years to judge a draft, but you need a season or two.

Kenny Clark:
    As far as the defensive tackles go he was by far one of the more underrated top tier guys. I thought the Packers were interested but in the second round of the draft. He probably wouldn't have made it that far. After watching tape on some of the other guys he had more of impact for his team at the position. If Raji would have signed his contract maybe Thompson would have gone a different direction, but I think as the draft played out on day 1 this was the guy that Thompson wanted. He offered no medical risk and Thompson isn't the type to get stuck behind the 8 ball with injuries out of the gate. Justin Harrell taught him that lesson. Clark is a strong kid that seems to be pretty dedicated. I love the fact that he was an elite wrestler in high school. He offers a bit more pass rush than the other top tier guys.

Jason Spriggs:
    Not a bad pick, seems to be a finesse guy instead of a mauler and that isn't exactly a bad thing as a tackle. Offensive linemen have to be able to move their feet in the NFL and this guy is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft outside of Tunsil. He was the last of the Top Tier guys on my list and the Packers made the right move to go up and get him. He is tackle, but you know the Packers are going to try and work him all over the place. If he has a good camp he could probably push Baktiari.

Kyler Frackrell:
    Big kid that times good. After watching some film on him I think he lacks that instinct that will allow him to play aggressively. His play sort of reminds me of AJ Hawk. Assignment sure and can make plays when he is in position but lacks dynamic instincts. He will struggle to be a play maker in the NFL.

Dean Lowry:
    He holds the point of attack really well as long as his technique holds and he doesn't get high. He has a really quick first step and if he is shooting gaps he is in the backfield. He moves well for a man his size, really well. Issue with him is his short arms, he usually beats the offensive linemen off the ball but he can't disengage, in one on one pass rushing situations he gets stood up because the offensive linemen can extend his arms. I love his movement off the snap. He has a great stance, powerful I just really worry that he is going to constantly get hung up at the next level. In terms of value of the pick he could surprise some people and be a mainstay on the defensive line.

Trevor Davis:
    This kid can fly, his highlight tape looks like a video game. I just question his route running if he is not running bubble screens, and go routes. I think his kick returning abilities have something to do with his selection here and his workout numbers are hard to deny, but he was drafted because his numbers say he has potential and this late in the draft Thompson was willing to gamble a little bit. I don't love the pick and think he will be more comparable to David Clowney than a receiver that is going to contribute to this roster. He is going to frustrate coaches because he flashes big time, he makes ridiculous catches, but then he will disappear and struggle with the route tree.

Kyle Murphy: I think this kid offers some great value and has been coached up at Stanford. He isn't a great athlete, He could probably play guard or right tackle but he doesn't really move well enough as left tackle to protect in pass pro. He is pretty sound with foot work and technique but he just isn't a great athlete. He gets a good jump on the snap count and that is what saves him in pass pro.
    Blake Martinez gets the silent treatment.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

lol

There have to be PEDs for that. They can go without him for four games.

Maybe splice in frog DNA?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I give this draft a:

l

This is the festivus pole. It stands unadorned with no tinsel or flash. Just like the Packers draft. No wow picks, nothing fancy. Just a straight up solid draft with a good strength to weight ratio.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I give this draft a:

l

This is the festivus pole. It stands unadorned with no tinsel or flash. Just like the Packers draft. No wow picks, nothing fancy. Just a straight up solid draft with a good strength to weight ratio.
    I'm unfamiliar with your sense of humor. Is this like a Harlan boner reference?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    then it would be an i
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    We were to grade the draft with an emoji. I chose the festivus pole. If you are unfamiliar with it, feel free to google festivus, or just wait a while and I'm sure woody will be happy to provide you with some links.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I'll bet Lowry never picks up the check.

Why is he wearing gloves?
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Why is he wearing gloves?
    So when he runs he doesn't scrape his knuckles on his rib cage?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    So when he runs he doesn't scrape his knuckles on his rib cage?
    poor guy, he's just getting abused!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Love that Wally.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Best to Not Best format:

Overall Grade: B+ I felt the Packers navigated the draft pretty well. We will look back on this draft fondly in a few years. Davis needs to shine or he won't make the team, but everyone else needs to find an apartment and sign a two year lease.

(2nd) Spriggs: A; A first round talent in the second, stolen from a divisional opponent for the cost of a measly late fourth rounder when we still had two measly fourth rounders left.

(1st) Clark: B+; A late first round talent that--possibly--could have been had along with an extra pick with a trade down. TT admits to being afraid to risk the object of his heart's desire.

(4a) Lowry: B+; The short arms brought us a very fine DE that managed to get his hands on 14 passes in his career. Long arms don't do you any good if you don't put 'em up like he does.

(6) Murphy: B-; Good value, but the Packers may have to burn a roster spot for a year as he gets his body NFL ready. He had a 97% pass pro efficiency rating in his senior year.

(3rd) Fackrell: B-; This is the one pick that may very well be a star...should be good...and yet I fear the 25 year old will bust. (I get a D- for draft insight on this one so he's doing better than me.)

(4th) Blake Martinez: C; I wanted Nick Vigil, but the Bungles swooped ahead of us and snatched him. Now I will never know if he was on our board ahead of Bla-ake (said in snotty tone).

(5th) Davis: C; The talent is there, but why the lack of productivity with a QB like Goff?

Sorry about the lack of emojis, but I don't even know what they are.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Me, I think Blake Martinez is going to turn out to be a very good inside linebacker. Maybe not his first year, but possibly by mid-year that guy will be starting, methinks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Me, I think Blake Martinez is going to turn out to be a very good inside linebacker. Maybe not his first year, but possibly by mid-year that guy will be starting, methinks.
    In place of Barrington or Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    In place of Barrington or Ryan?

Whichever one isn't lost to a season-ending injury!

If everyone's healthy? In place of Ryan.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack