Thread: TT has quietly put together a very strong off season

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TT has quietly put together a very strong off season

I think TT has put together what may turn out to be one of his most effective off seasons. I think the following are significant individually, but in combination are impressive:

- It all started with the signing of Mike Daniels to an extension. This was expected, as it was consistent with the way TT does business, yet it was a significant item to take care of.

- Along the same lines as the Daniels extension, I assumed Mason Crosby would be re-signed; but, again, until it is done, it isn't a certainty.

- Same activities, but still significant, he was able to retain depth strength that existed by re-signing Starks, Taylor, Guion and Perry. I'm not trying to inflate their value, but from a roster standpoint they were solid members. Re-signing each avoiding opening new holes in the roster.

- He was thrown a curve by the unexpected early retirement of B.J. Raji. This enhanced the importance of having retained Guion. TT further dealt with this unexpected situation by drafting what many say is a plug-and-play replacement for Raji.

- TE was a glaring deficiency on offense in 2015. TT addressed this through free agency, by signing a guy who physically and athletically is nearly a duplicate of Jermichael Finley.

- Perhaps the next most significant roster deficiency on offense in 2015 was OL depth generally and OT depth specifically. Two solid potential improvements were brought in through the draft, which is significant not only for depth in 2016 but potentially also for flexibility in dealing with their own free agents in 2017.

- Switching back to the defensive side of the ball, the glaring need that everyone wants to talk about is MLB. For the second year in a row, he used a 4th round draft pick to address this need. That means 2 of his last 8 top draft picks have been middle linebackers. You can quibble with issues of using a 1st round pick for a linebacker rather than a DT this year, or a corner last year, but those were also positions of need as well. You can't argue that TT is ignoring the problem, because 4th round draft picks are not insignificant. You need only to look at the Packers O-line to see that. Besides, the more I read about Martinez, the more it seems that he will be the best of their MLBs in passing situations. Maybe not as good as they want to get, but improvement at least.

- They need to get younger and deeper at OLB. TT brought in a well-regarded candidate for the position.

- They need to get better and deeper at DE. TT brought in a well regarded candidate for that position as well.

- It was said they needed to add a deep threat at WR. TT brought in a reasonable candidate for that, once you accept that not every draft pick can be a first round pick, and for every first round pick there is a 7th round pick, too (and a 6th, 5th, 4th, etc.). The kid may have deficiencies, but he does not lack speed, and it appears he can contribute immediately as a return man if needed.

- Each draft pick this year addressed a need that I think all would agree existed. None was purely a "luxury" pick, nor did one pick really duplicate another. I would argue that the need at OT and free agency looming in 2017 more than justifies the necessity of drafting two O-lineman.

- Finally, he has done it all while retaining a solid salary cap position that will give him flexibility in dealing with a significant FA group in the next year.

I think TT has addressed every apparent need. Whether or not he has done so successfully remains to be seen. At least he has not simply maintained the status quo, nor has he allowed deterioration at any position.
    Last edited by Patler; 05-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.