Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TT has quietly put together a very strong off season

Blog Entries
    I agree TT has did a stellar job in the offseason. Kudos for locking up Cook as well as finding fair values in the draft to fit out needs.

I still view one weakness but I've been asking for this for a couple yrs so apparently TT and MM do not agree

I still want a scat back who can create mismatches in the passing game. Darren Sproles/James White....etc...kind of guy. NE always has 1 or 2 of them. We have never had one so my assumption is we don't value that
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I agree that I'd like to have a back like that as well Bretsky. I may be off but didn't we try to find someone along those lines with Alex Green, Jonathon Franklin, and maybe a couple of other lesser guys. (Dujuan Harris?) It seems as though it's not a big priority for TT/MM for whatever reason but I think we've given it a casual try in the past and just failed with our choices. It would be nice to have someone coming out of the backfield who could create mismatches with linebackers. It seems like the only time we utilize backs in the passing game is on designed screen pass plays since AR rarely dumps passes off to the backs when he's in trouble anyway.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 05-01-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Tex;
    The strength of this off season performance is from the fact that he addressed each and every concern with a legitimate POTENTIAL solution. Ultimately success matters, but Jared Cook was an exceptional response to the TE problem. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but the attempt was very good.

It's funny, before free agency opened, there seemed to be a very strong sentiment on here for TT to go out and spend a ton of money on getting Jared Cook signed. Then, when TT plays conservatively and gets Cook relatively cheaply, now everyone is unimpressed. Everyone seemed to want Cook,....until they actually got him. Now, suddenly, it was no big deal to get him.

This just proves we're typical guys. We want the hot chick until she says "yes."
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    I should write this in a BJ Raji career post-mortem thread, instead of here.

I thought the story on him was that we got a stocky, short-armed, athletic one-gapper and plugged him into being a doubled-every-snap two-gapper. The move outside was supposed to make him disruptive, but tackles held off his t-rex arms with their yardsticks. Is that remotely right?
    That's exactly right - that and he didn't show the strength not to get pushed around when he played NT - or anywhere else. You just expect way more from somebody drafted as high in the first round as he was.

Clark is a different kind of player altogether - thankfully. I'm not saying he's J.J. Watt, but with all the outside rushing the Packers do, it will be nice to have some length and athleticism and "swat" ability in the middle, and at the same time, he hopefully is big and tough enough to stop the run when needed to do so.

Regarding scatback 3rd down RBs, I think the reason the Packers tend to stay away from them is preference for ability to pass block, and given the porousness of our O Line, that's probably for the best.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    You can no more proclaim he had a strong off season any more than others can that he didn't. We are in wait and see mode. Although I am cautiously optimistic.
    would you feel differently had TT drafted 6 wide receivers?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I agree TT has did a stellar job in the offseason. Kudos for locking up Cook as well as finding fair values in the draft to fit out needs.

I still view one weakness but I've been asking for this for a couple yrs so apparently TT and MM do not agree

I still want a scat back who can create mismatches in the passing game. Darren Sproles/James White....etc...kind of guy. NE always has 1 or 2 of them. We have never had one so my assumption is we don't value that

Bretsky, I thought of you yesterday when I read about an UDFA the Packers signed - Broderick something-or-other. Holds the school record (Georgia Tech or someplace like that, I think) for the 60 yard dash - weighs about 190, I think he goes 5' 11" or so. That might be your guy. Had injuries the past two years - broken wrist, maybe, then broken leg - but he could be that third down scat back.

What do you think?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Bretsky, I thought of you yesterday when I read about an UDFA the Packers signed - Broderick something-or-other. Holds the school record (Georgia Tech or someplace like that, I think) for the 60 yard dash - weighs about 190, I think he goes 5' 11" or so. That might be your guy. Had injuries the past two years - broken wrist, maybe, then broken leg - but he could be that third down scat back.

What do you think?
    B & Fritz, I agree. Love me a scatback who can run swing routes, screens etc. I think that was the idea with that kid Johnathan Franklin they drafted out of UCLA a few years back. He had a good game vs the Bengals, had some fugly fumbles and bad pass pro. He suffered a career ending injury. I think Stub and TT will look at a scatback, but they are scared of the exposure one of those guys give you in pass pro.

I just wish we'd sign Darren Sproles. The guy come up available every few years for anybody to sign, but he always catches on with somebody else.

Can't we have him just once?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    B & Fritz, I agree. Love me a scatback who can run swing routes, screens etc. I think that was the idea with that kid Johnathan Franklin they drafted out of UCLA a few years back. He had a good game vs the Bengals, had some fugly fumbles and bad pass pro. He suffered a career ending injury. I think Stub and TT will look at a scatback, but they are scared of the exposure one of those guys give you in pass pro.

I just wish we'd sign Darren Sproles. The guy come up available every few years for anybody to sign, but he always catches on with somebody else.

Can't we have him just once?
    Isn't this what they do with Cobb and Monty out of the backfield?

Blog Entries
    Limited exposure obviously, but Don Jackson (#6 in the video) flashes a bit of scat-back ability... Aggressive runner at minimum...