Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ty Montgomery

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Doesn't have to be just screens. RB's can run routes too. Maybe we ought to send Stubby some David Johnson video tape.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'd like to see some screen passes too, but I kinda doubt it will happen. D Coordinators figured out quite a while ago that blitzing Aaron Rodgers is counterproductive. They also know that they usually can get quick and strong pressure with just 3 or 4 pass rushers. Screens work best when the opponent loads up for a big pass rush - usually blitzing. Since they don't much, we won't much.
    This season, blitzing Aaron Rodgers was very productive. Atlanta copied what Dallas did in second half.

They need to tighten up that pass blocking ship.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

What worked as per what I saw was coming with a Safety or a Corner. When LBs came in, Rodgers just shed 'em like a duck in water. He had a harder time escaping speedy DBs though. I'm not sure if screens or something else are the solution to that. It seems to me, if we screened with a DB chasing Rodgers, 1 the play might not have time to set up and 2 the speedy DB probably could track down our RB from behind for a short gain. McCarthy's weakness seems to be adjusting on the fly - like when a team finds something that works like what you mentioned.

The subject of this thread, Ty Montgomery, was a large part of the problem. Having him at RB a full camp and preseason might get him shaped up as a pass blocker.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What worked as per what I saw was coming with a Safety or a Corner. When LBs came in, Rodgers just shed 'em like a duck in water. He had a harder time escaping speedy DBs though. I'm not sure if screens or something else are the solution to that. It seems to me, if we screened with a DB chasing Rodgers, 1 the play might not have time to set up and 2 the speedy DB probably could track down our RB from behind for a short gain. McCarthy's weakness seems to be adjusting on the fly - like when a team finds something that works like what you mentioned.

The subject of this thread, Ty Montgomery, was a large part of the problem. Having him at RB a full camp and preseason might get him shaped up as a pass blocker.
    They were also getting him with delayed ILB blitzes that Linsley and Monty would not pick up. The LBS Dallas and Atlanta were sending were smaller and quicker than most and he couldn't avoid them.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

these days screens just don't work anymore (unless maybe if they're called at the line when a blitz is read).

JSO said Linsley is "the Packers' future at center." Anyone agree with that?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    JSO said Linsley is "the Packers' future at center." Anyone agree with that?
    He has some work to do as far as blitzes. But he is a tough, strong, scrapper. IMO, that is exactly what you want at center. I also think he needs to work on his shotgun snaps a bit. They seem weak and to barely get to AR sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    He has some work to do as far as blitzes. But he is a tough, strong, scrapper. IMO, that is exactly what you want at center. I also think he needs to work on his shotgun snaps a bit. They seem weak and to barely get to AR sometimes.
    Assuming both are healthy and will be healthy, do you prefer Tretter or Linsley?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Prefer Tretter. Think JSO is only saying that because for now, on March 1 or whatever day it might be, he will not be on the team without a new contract.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I also prefer Tretter. I think that he is a better overall athlete and gets to the second level better. He is also a smarter football player and does a nice job setting the line. He is also really good at getting out front on screens.

I would rather see Monty split reps with another running back, whether it is Lacy or someone else. I would like to see him in a Thurman Thomas type role catching the ball out of the backfield and not just sending him into the flat to be mirrored by an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Assuming both are healthy and will be healthy, do you prefer Tretter or Linsley?
    I like Linsley, imo he's a more gritty, hard nosed player. But honestly I think they would be fine with either. I would really like to see Tretter stay in GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I like Linsley, imo he's a more gritty, hard nosed player. But honestly I think they would be fine with either. I would really like to see Tretter stay in GB.
    http://www.nfl.com/player/jctretter/2540292/profile

J.C. Tretter dressed for 31 and started only 10 games in four seasons.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Tretter is the superior player, but health is an issue it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    It will be interesting to see what number he takes.

He also needs work on his blitz pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/player/jctretter/2540292/profile

J.C. Tretter dressed for 31 and started only 10 games in four seasons.
    That feels like above average for our starters this year...

I like this Montgomery kid. I'm rooting for him.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I like this Montgomery kid. I'm rooting for him.
    Me too. I know some people have expressed concern about his durability and I share that concern as well. Hopefully he'll take the offseason to learn how to run lower and behind his pads more. As has also been mentioned, he needs to learn how to pass protect more reliably but I don't see that being a long-term concern.

I'm convinced he'll be a serious weapon as long as he can stay healthy. He and a healthy and stealthy Lacy would make a serious combination. Lacy obviously doesn't need to be 230 but I'm a bit worried about his taste for southern cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It will be interesting to see what number he takes.

He also needs work on his blitz pickup.
    he was 7 at st. marks in dallas but Hundley has that. he'll take Starks' 44 (half of 88).

Blog Entries
    He'll take his 88 jersey, get himself some white duct tape at the Walmart, and turn it into a 38.

Anyone remember that Favre to Havner jersey transformation video?

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    He'll take his 88 jersey, get himself some white duct tape at the Walmart, and turn it into a 38.
    Wow, finally something where you and I think alike.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?