Thread: 5th Year Options Declined: 2013 Draft Rregrets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am pretty sure with the drafting of Raji and Matthews that Thompson knows the body type.

There was no reason other than health that Perry can't play OLB very well. Neal turned out to be too puffed up to be a 5 tech DT but he looked for all the world like one. He played alright as an elephant and if he wasn't bringing PED rumors into the locker room, he might still be on the roster. If you read his draft notices, 5 tech is mentioned often. Worthy and Daniels were grabs for speed and pass rush. One worked out, the other can barely stay in the League regardless of scheme. Jones looked like 1 of the 2 best 5 techs in his draft. Physically, he is tailor made for it. I think scouting/player busts have played more of a role than targeted body type.

The main problem is that they haven't been a straight 3-4 since 2010.

First, they are in 3-4 base about 25% of the time. And when they are in base, they are often aligned like a 4-3 Over defense. 1 tech, 3 tech, 5-7 tech and 9 tech (OLB).

So drafting just for 3-4 would leave you shorthanded for nickel and dime: 75% of your snaps.
    Sign Peppers, move him to outside linebacker.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Sign Peppers, move him to outside linebacker.
    Who cares what you call him? Sign him as a TE, but line him up where his strengths are best utilized; i.e. probably not a good idea to drop him in coverage all that often, but can do that more often with him than with Perry.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck