Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Roster

2016 Roster

OFFENSE

QB AARON RODGERS, Brett Hundley, Ryan Williams, Joe Callahan
    RB EDDIE LACY, James Starts, John Crockett, Don Jackson, Brandon Burks
    FB Aaron Ripkowski
    WR JORDY NELSON, RANDALL COBB, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis, Trevor Davis, Ed Williams, Jamel Johnson, Devonte Robinson, Geronimo Allison, Herb Waters, Dennis Parks
    TE JARED COOK, Richard Rodgers, Kennard Backman, Justin Perillo, Mitchell Henry, David Grinnage
    OT BRYAN BULAGA, DAVID BAKHTIARI, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Jeremy Vujnovich, Josh James
    OG JOSH SITTON, T.J. LANG, Lane Taylor, Josh Walker, Matt Rotheram, Vince Kowalski
    OC COREY LINSLEY, J.C. Tretter

DEFENSE

DE MIKE DANIELS, LETROY GUION, Datone Jones, Dean Lowry, Josh Boyd, Christian Ringo, B.J. McBryde, Tyler Kuder
    NT KENNY CLARK, Mike Pennel, William Campbell, Brian Price
    OLB CLAY MATTHEWS, JULIUS PEPPERS, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Kyler Fackrell, Lerentee McCray, Reggie Gilbert
    ILB SAM BARRINGTON, JAKE RYAN, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas, Carl Bradford, Beniquez Brown, Manoa Pikula
    CB SAM SHIELDS, DAMARIOUS RANDALL, Quentin Rollins, Micah Hyde (S), Ladarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Demetri Goodson, Warren Gatewood, Makinton Dorleant, Josh Hawkins, Randall Jette
    S MORGAN BURNETT, HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Chris Banjo, R.J. Williamson, Kentrell Brice, Desmond Smith

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Mason Crosby
    P Tim Masthay, Peter Mortell
    LS Rick Lovato

They seem to be at 91. I thought they could have no more than 90, but maybe there's either a provision or one of the UDFAs is in for a tryout.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Packers have no depth at Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Packers have no depth at Safety
    Same four guys as last year. Hyde is the 3rd safety.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

No depth at Safety? I, for one, have a high opinion of Banjo, and as has been mentioned, Hyde is there. The fact is, the way Capers plays defense, the line is blurred between Corner and Safety anyway, and with Fackrell now, maybe even between ILB and Safety. Also, I think this kid Brice has a decent chance to make the team as a Safety who kinda resembles a Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Solid. There are always 2 or 3 undrafted guys that make the squad.

I don't know a lot about Murphy but at this point I'd lean toward stashing him on the PS and promoting Henry at TE/ST.

If Davis flashes at all in the preseason he may be tough to stash on the PS, but I agree that Abby would be tough to cut if it comes down to that.

I'm watching Brown (who I think looks a tad soft as a tackler) and Brice as potential guys who could shine like Gunter did last year.

Daniel will also be interesting to watch.

Also I think Clark may push Boyd off the roster, assuming he can play in nickel/base, which I'm guessing they think he can since they obviously graded him atop the d-line class.

Christian Ringo might be a guy to watch, too. Recall that they raised his PS pay to the regular roster rookie minimum to avoid losing him. Several players commented that he really stood out in practices, and improved continually throughout the year.

Didn't he need to gain some weight? I wonder if he did, and if so, was it muscle weight or Lacy weight?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Didn't he need to gain some weight? I wonder if he did, and if so, was it muscle weight or Lacy weight?
    If he added weight, it will be muscle weight. He is a weight room monster. Very passionate about lifting weights.

I hope so, Patler. Would be nice to get a good infusion of DL talent all of a sudden. Clark and Ringlo both being good would be a big boost for our defense.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I hope so, Patler. Would be nice to get a good infusion of DL talent all of a sudden. Clark and Ringlo both being good would be a big boost for our defense.
    It seems that Ringo is very much the same type player that Daniels is, so maybe he can give Daniels a break. The question is, how man DL can they afford to keep when so few are on the field at times? Daniels, Clark, Guion and Jones are givens. Probably room for only about two more, and they have Pennel (eventually), Ringo and Boyd coming back in addition to Lowry.

PFT using a Tom Silverstein article to claim Adams' roster spot may be in jeopardy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ackers-roster/

Pretty light on any details other than 'had a bad year, could go'
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

He would have to collapse in camp like he did during the regular season in 2105 (with injury) not to be on the roster.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    PFT using a Tom Silverstein article to claim Adams' roster spot may be in jeopardy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ackers-roster/

Pretty light on any details other than 'had a bad year, could go'
    Yeah, I thought that was shoddy. The article was simply identifying the position with the most competition. Whoever wrote that PFT piece interpreted that as an official report.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

The Packers were not at all disappointed in Adams as a rookie. Last year, they were; but we have discussed at length the factors that may have been responsible. They will open the season with him on the roster (absent an injury keeping him off ot).

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It seems that Ringo is very much the same type player that Daniels is, so maybe he can give Daniels a break. The question is, how man DL can they afford to keep when so few are on the field at times? Daniels, Clark, Guion and Jones are givens. Probably room for only about two more, and they have Pennel (eventually), Ringo and Boyd coming back in addition to Lowry.

I know Jones is a bit of a hybrid now, but wouldn't he more or less count as one of the linebacking corp now?

I would guess the early favorites are Daniels, Guion, Clark, and Pennel, with Lowry being an obvious keep unless he completely poops the bed, plus Ringo (hereafter to be known as "Ringworm") as a strong candidate. I think Josh Boyd might be the odd man out.

I think they keep six and go light at tight end and fullback to make room.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I know Jones is a bit of a hybrid now, but wouldn't he more or less count as one of the linebacking corp now?

I would guess the early favorites are Daniels, Guion, Clark, and Pennel, with Lowry being an obvious keep unless he completely poops the bed, plus Ringo (hereafter to be known as "Ringworm") as a strong candidate. I think Josh Boyd might be the odd man out.

I think they keep six and go light at tight end and fullback to make room.
    All in all, Harvey's list looks pretty good, but they are going to have some interesting cuts this year:

WR - Davis could put heat on Abbrederis.
    TE - one spot for Backman, Perillo and maybe even Mitchell Henry
    OL - Rotheram was a heavily recruited RFA, and the Packers also had to increase his salary to keep him on their PS last year. Might he replace Taylor? Can Barclay return to the passable backup he was before his ACL injury?

DL - as discussed, 7 that I could see making the team, not including Pennel at the start..
    OLB - McCray adds an unknown. With him they have 6 possibles, not including Jones at the position.
    ILB - Can Thomas hold the 4th spot? Will they even have a 4th spot? Is Brown as good as some thought in Jan., or the guy who fell out of the draft? Is Bradford done?
    CB - Will they have a spot for Goodsen when he comes off suspension? They have six possible in addition to him.

Cutting any of those mentioned will cause no anguish. Injuries will probably decide the fates of one or two who will drop from consideration because of their own injury, or who will get a spot due to someone else being injured. Nevertheless, for me it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out at the end of camp.

At least they seem to have some reasonable candidates for all of the last positions on the team, other than maybe RB and safety where at least as of now it seems easy to draw the line between those who will make it and those who won't. Even QB is a bit of a question as far as how many they will keep, just the two obvious, or will they use a roster spot for a third?
    Last edited by Patler; 05-04-2016 at 03:51 PM.

After reading the UDFA bios, here's what I'd go with:

QB AARON RODGERS, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan, Ryan Williams

Callahan sounds a little intriguing, but not enough that I'd project they'd keep 3 QBs. Hundley seems like a pretty sturdy QB. If they had to go with one of the young guys, they'd have no chance anyways. Callahan sounds like an interesting candidate for the practice squad.

RB EDDIE LACY, James Starks, John Crockett, Don Jackson, Brandon Burks

It seems like Jackson is a threat to Crockett's roster spot, but I still project Crockett to win the third RB spot. Crockett will have to show something or the Packers could outside the organization to find their third RB.

FB Aaron Ripkowski

The only FB on the roster, as of now.

WR JORDY NELSON, RANDALL COBB, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis, Trevor Davis, Jamel Johnson, Ed Williams, Geronimo Allison, Herb Waters, Devonte Robinson, Dennis Parks

Davis could beat out Abbrederis. Provided everybody is healthy, I think the Packers need a WR more like Davis than Abbrederis (a third slot guy is a luxury). If Montgomery is not fully healthy, than Abbrederis has the upper hand over Davis. I don't remember which returning practice squad guy, Williams or Jones, sounds more intriguing. Of the UDFA players, Allison (good size, seems to lack smarts, so maybe a year on the PS), Waters (most polished), and Robinson (best measurables) all sound intriguing.

TE JARED COOK, Richard Rodgers, Kennard Backman, Justin Perillo, Mitchell Henry, David Grinnage

Because the Packers will likely go light at QB and RB, there could be room for four TEs, but the young guys will need to show improvement. I liked Perillo in camp two years ago, but he didn't show a lot of improvement last year. My guess is they'll keep the upside of Backman, but the Packers seem to like Henry as well.

OT BRYAN BULAGA, DAVID BAKHTIARI, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Jeremy Vujnovich, Josh James

I can't see them cutting Murphy, if he shows anything, over Barclay--especially if Spriggs looks ready to be the top swing OT.

OG JOSH SITTON, T.J. LANG, Lane Taylor, Josh Walker, Matt Rotheram, Vince Kowalski

Rotheram could win a roster spot. I don't think Taylor is at risk of losing a spot, but Walker certainly is.

OC COREY LINSLEY, J.C. Tretter

This should be set in stone.

DEFENSE

DE MIKE DANIELS, LETROY GUION, Datone Jones, Dean Lowry, Josh Boyd, Christian Ringo, B.J. McBryde, Tyler Kuder

Should be good battle for the last spot or two. I wouldn't write off McBryde either. The guy has ideal size for 3-4 DE and he tested well coming out last year.

NT KENNY CLARK, Mike Pennel, William Campbell, Brian Price

It wouldn't be a shock if Campbell or Price made the roster while Pennel is out, but they'll likely rotate Guion with Clark at NT for the first four games.

OLB CLAY MATTHEWS, JULIUS PEPPERS, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Kyler Fackrell, Lerentee McCray, Reggie Gilbert

The first five seem set. I project McCray, at least initially with the suspensions. He got some run for a great Denver defense.

ILB SAM BARRINGTON, JAKE RYAN, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas, Carl Bradford, Beniquez Brown, Manoa Pikula

A lot of possibilities here. They could go with three and have Matthews or even Fackrell as the fallback. They could keep any of the last four. I had Brown with a draftable grade. I didn't look at Pikula at all. He is more athletic than Brown. I lean towards Thomas because they don't have anybody else who we know is at least serviceable as the coverage ILB.

CB SAM SHIELDS, DAMARIOUS RANDALL, Quentin Rollins, Micah Hyde (S), Ladarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Demetri Goodson, Josh Hawkins, Makinton Dorleant, Warren Gatewood, Randall Jette

There was some buzz about how Daniel played on the PS last year. I think Goodson may have cost himself a roster spot--although his special teams ability might get him back in favor. Daniel is a great athlete. Combine that with Whitt's coaching, and you may have something. Dorleant and Hawkins are intriguing. A lot of the UDFAs were on the shorter side and project to the slot, so it appears they are looking for a replacement for Hayward (to back Rollins up).

S MORGAN BURNETT, HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Chris Banjo, Kentrell Brice, Desmond Smith

Hyde is the fourth safety, but if one of the young corners doesn't step up, that may open up a spot for one of the intriguing UDFAs.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Mason Crosby
    P Tim Masthay, Peter Mortell
    LS Rick Lovato

Whether Mortell has a shot depends entirely on Masthay rebounding from a bad 2015 season. Masthay's troubles actually go back to the second half of 2014 (if I remember correctly), so he may have less leeway than Crosby did when he was struggling.

There were a lot of names that I didn't recognize with the UDFAs, but there's a lot of good athletes in the group. Knowing the Packers, a couple of these guys will probably make the team, and it will probably ones that we least expect to.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-05-2016 at 01:47 AM.

How can you not root for a guy with a name like Geronimo Allison?

KYPack

Re: CB Robertson Daniel. It was more than just buzz about his practice squad performance, the Packers signed him to their regular roster before the end of the season, taking Quarless' spot when Quarless was put on IR. They even said at the time, it was a way to reward him for stellar work on the practice squad.

He is a converted safety and is about the size of Gunther at 6'1" 205. He ran the 40 in 4.46 when he was at 215 lbs. The Packers had him work with their nutritionist thinking he should be lighter as a CB and he lost 10 pounds. He (and Whitt) said everything started to click for him at about the middle of the season, and his weight loss made him quicker in the little things a CB has to do. His strength is tight press coverage. I say all this because it could make him an ideal replacement for Goodson on special teams, he tested better than Goodson in almost everything and is bigger. After now losing weight, he might test even better yet.

I agree with Harvey, Goodson may have cost himself a job with his suspension. Daniel might have a month to prove that even Goodson's special teams work might not be missed.

I saw an article about Brett Goode a few weeks ago. The article stated doctors who they consulted said he could be cleared to play by the start of the season, especially because of his position. The article asked opinions of a couple scouts who said that Lovato did an OK job for the Packers, and that a lot of teams had him on their emergency lists, but Goode was clearly a better snapper. They said all he needs to do is show that he is ready to play again, and the Packers will probably re-sign him. If not, a couple other teams might, but familiarity is important so if GB doesn't sign him, he might have to wait for an incumbent to screw up somewhere.