Thread: 2016 Roster

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After reading the UDFA bios, here's what I'd go with:

QB AARON RODGERS, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan, Ryan Williams

Callahan sounds a little intriguing, but not enough that I'd project they'd keep 3 QBs. Hundley seems like a pretty sturdy QB. If they had to go with one of the young guys, they'd have no chance anyways. Callahan sounds like an interesting candidate for the practice squad.

RB EDDIE LACY, James Starks, John Crockett, Don Jackson, Brandon Burks

It seems like Jackson is a threat to Crockett's roster spot, but I still project Crockett to win the third RB spot. Crockett will have to show something or the Packers could outside the organization to find their third RB.

FB Aaron Ripkowski

The only FB on the roster, as of now.

WR JORDY NELSON, RANDALL COBB, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis, Trevor Davis, Jamel Johnson, Ed Williams, Geronimo Allison, Herb Waters, Devonte Robinson, Dennis Parks

Davis could beat out Abbrederis. Provided everybody is healthy, I think the Packers need a WR more like Davis than Abbrederis (a third slot guy is a luxury). If Montgomery is not fully healthy, than Abbrederis has the upper hand over Davis. I don't remember which returning practice squad guy, Williams or Jones, sounds more intriguing. Of the UDFA players, Allison (good size, seems to lack smarts, so maybe a year on the PS), Waters (most polished), and Robinson (best measurables) all sound intriguing.

TE JARED COOK, Richard Rodgers, Kennard Backman, Justin Perillo, Mitchell Henry, David Grinnage

Because the Packers will likely go light at QB and RB, there could be room for four TEs, but the young guys will need to show improvement. I liked Perillo in camp two years ago, but he didn't show a lot of improvement last year. My guess is they'll keep the upside of Backman, but the Packers seem to like Henry as well.

OT BRYAN BULAGA, DAVID BAKHTIARI, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Jeremy Vujnovich, Josh James

I can't see them cutting Murphy, if he shows anything, over Barclay--especially if Spriggs looks ready to be the top swing OT.

OG JOSH SITTON, T.J. LANG, Lane Taylor, Josh Walker, Matt Rotheram, Vince Kowalski

Rotheram could win a roster spot. I don't think Taylor is at risk of losing a spot, but Walker certainly is.

OC COREY LINSLEY, J.C. Tretter

This should be set in stone.

DEFENSE

DE MIKE DANIELS, LETROY GUION, Datone Jones, Dean Lowry, Josh Boyd, Christian Ringo, B.J. McBryde, Tyler Kuder

Should be good battle for the last spot or two. I wouldn't write off McBryde either. The guy has ideal size for 3-4 DE and he tested well coming out last year.

NT KENNY CLARK, Mike Pennel, William Campbell, Brian Price

It wouldn't be a shock if Campbell or Price made the roster while Pennel is out, but they'll likely rotate Guion with Clark at NT for the first four games.

OLB CLAY MATTHEWS, JULIUS PEPPERS, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Kyler Fackrell, Lerentee McCray, Reggie Gilbert

The first five seem set. I project McCray, at least initially with the suspensions. He got some run for a great Denver defense.

ILB SAM BARRINGTON, JAKE RYAN, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas, Carl Bradford, Beniquez Brown, Manoa Pikula

A lot of possibilities here. They could go with three and have Matthews or even Fackrell as the fallback. They could keep any of the last four. I had Brown with a draftable grade. I didn't look at Pikula at all. He is more athletic than Brown. I lean towards Thomas because they don't have anybody else who we know is at least serviceable as the coverage ILB.

CB SAM SHIELDS, DAMARIOUS RANDALL, Quentin Rollins, Micah Hyde (S), Ladarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Demetri Goodson, Josh Hawkins, Makinton Dorleant, Warren Gatewood, Randall Jette

There was some buzz about how Daniel played on the PS last year. I think Goodson may have cost himself a roster spot--although his special teams ability might get him back in favor. Daniel is a great athlete. Combine that with Whitt's coaching, and you may have something. Dorleant and Hawkins are intriguing. A lot of the UDFAs were on the shorter side and project to the slot, so it appears they are looking for a replacement for Hayward (to back Rollins up).

S MORGAN BURNETT, HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Chris Banjo, Kentrell Brice, Desmond Smith

Hyde is the fourth safety, but if one of the young corners doesn't step up, that may open up a spot for one of the intriguing UDFAs.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Mason Crosby
    P Tim Masthay, Peter Mortell
    LS Rick Lovato

Whether Mortell has a shot depends entirely on Masthay rebounding from a bad 2015 season. Masthay's troubles actually go back to the second half of 2014 (if I remember correctly), so he may have less leeway than Crosby did when he was struggling.

There were a lot of names that I didn't recognize with the UDFAs, but there's a lot of good athletes in the group. Knowing the Packers, a couple of these guys will probably make the team, and it will probably ones that we least expect to.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-05-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson