Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Roster

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How can you not root for a guy with a name like Geronimo Allison?
    He has a better future than Joe Custer.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    It seems like Jackson is a threat to Crockett's roster spot, but I still project Crockett to win the third RB spot. Crockett will have to show something or the Packers could outside the organization to find their third RB.
    Watching a couple videos, Jackson can pass protect too. He's intriguing but he also has an interesting past that I hope he's not still living and just covering up.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/coll...tory/31749275/

Davis could beat out Abbrederis. Provided everybody is healthy, I think the Packers need a WR more like Davis than Abbrederis (a third slot guy is a luxury). If Montgomery is not fully healthy, than Abbrederis has the upper hand over Davis.
    I agree. If you subscribe to the theory that each player should bring unique dimension to the team, I'd say that Monty and Adams are the most redundant. I hope Monty is healthy because I really liked what he brought last year. But if he's not even running yet he's gonna require time to get back in playing shape.

Adams is a competitor and I think he'll come into camp with a chip on his shoulder from all the criticism coming his way. He should anyway.

I can't see them cutting Murphy, if he shows anything, over Barclay--especially if Spriggs looks ready to be the top swing OT.
    My thing with Murphy is, unless he leapfrogs 3 or 4 guys, he'll never dress. He likely has value for the future but probably no value this year.

It wouldn't be a shock if Campbell or Price made the roster while Pennel is out, but they'll likely rotate Guion with Clark at NT for the first four games.
    Yeah, it feels to me like Clark and Daniels could be pegged as primary nickel linemen to start, while Guion, Daniels and one of the DE's could be the 3-4 base line to start.

If Daniel has made the jump as has been suggested, I'm loving the DB crew. You only have 9 pegged and there is often 10. That said, I know he has ST value but I'm still hoping Banjo gets beat out.

I'd say safety, ILB and RB are the spots with the greatest opportunity for an undrafted guy to rise up. There's a lot of traffic to get through everywhere else. Some guys at the bottom of the roster may go to the practice squad as much because they're eligible while another guy isn't. (Murphy, Ringo, Rotheram and some UDFA upstarts at deep position areas) Of course injuries dictate a lot that can't be predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I saw an article about Brett Goode a few weeks ago. The article stated doctors who they consulted said he could be cleared to play by the start of the season, especially because of his position. The article asked opinions of a couple scouts who said that Lovato did an OK job for the Packers, and that a lot of teams had him on their emergency lists, but Goode was clearly a better snapper. They said all he needs to do is show that he is ready to play again, and the Packers will probably re-sign him. If not, a couple other teams might, but familiarity is important so if GB doesn't sign him, he might have to wait for an incumbent to screw up somewhere.
    Are you trying to start a long snapper controversy?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Watching a couple videos, Jackson can pass protect too. He's intriguing but he also has an interesting past that I hope he's not still living and just covering up.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/coll...tory/31749275/
    Quite the write-up even if it is a pretty puffy piece Have to wonder how happy he is to be in GB though, sounds like he really didn't like the cold in Iowa, and when he went to Div I he chose the desert.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Are you trying to start a long snapper controversy?
    I find it curious that Goode hasn't been resigned as of yet...

Blog Entries
    QB Rodgers, Hundley
    RB Lacy, Starks, Jackson
    HB/TE Rip, Cook, Rodgers, Backman, Henry
    WR Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Abby/Monty, Janis, Davis
    OT Bulaga, Bakh, Spriggs
    OG Sitton, Lang, Taylor, Walker
    C Lindsley, Tretter

DL Daniels, Clark, Guion, Lowrey, Boyd/Pennel
    OLB Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Jones, Elliott, McCray, Fackrell
    ILB Barrington, Ryan, Martinez, Bradford
    CB Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Daniel
    S Burnett, Dix, Hyde, Banjo, Brice

ST Crosby, Masthay, Lovato

PS - Callahan, Burks, Williams, Murphy, Rotheram, Ringo, Brown, Dorleant, Price, Williamson
    Last edited by vince; 05-08-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Practice Squad

Tim Masthay - seems like a nice guy, but I hope the dude gets his shit together this year. From what I've read, though, Peter Morrell sounds like he's pretty "meh" and is a mushroom to boot.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Harvey and Vince out with Boyd being released. Has to be a new speed record.

I'm not surprised by Grinnage because I looked him and didn't give him a draftable or even PFA grade.

The Green Bay Packers signed T Jason Spriggs and TE Casey Pierce and rookie free agents DT Demetris Anderson, RB Brandon Burks, FB Alstevis Squirewell and G Cory Tucker and released DT Josh Boyd, DT William Campbell, TE David Grinnage, WR Dennis Parks and T Jeremy Vujnovich.
    Roster seems to be at 88 players.

Are they holding a spot for one of these guys?

Code:
    61	Goode, Brett		LS	6-1	255	31	9	Arkansas
    89	Jones, James		WR	6-1	208	32	10	San Jose State
    30	Kuhn, John		FB	6-0	250	33	11	Shippensburg
    96	Neal, Mike		LB	6-3	262	28	7	Purdue
    81	Quarless, Andrew	TE	6-4	252	27	7	Penn State
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-09-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Not sure why everything is in italics.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

QB AARON RODGERS, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan, Ryan Williams

RB EDDIE LACY, James Starks, John Crockett, Don Jackson, Brandon Burks

FB Aaron Ripkowski, Alstevis Squirewell

WR JORDY NELSON, RANDALL COBB, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis, Trevor Davis, Jamel Johnson, Ed Williams, Geronimo Allison, Herb Waters, Devonte Robinson

TE JARED COOK, Richard Rodgers, Kennard Backman, Justin Perillo, Mitchell Henry, Casey Pierce

OT BRYAN BULAGA, DAVID BAKHTIARI, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Josh James

OG JOSH SITTON, T.J. LANG, Lane Taylor, Josh Walker, Matt Rotheram, Vince Kowalski, Corey Tucker

OC COREY LINSLEY, J.C. Tretter, Jacob Flores

DEFENSE

DE MIKE DANIELS, LETROY GUION, Datone Jones, Dean Lowry, Christian Ringo, B.J. McBryde, Tyler Kuder, Demetris Anderson

NT KENNY CLARK, Mike Pennel, Brian Price

OLB CLAY MATTHEWS, JULIUS PEPPERS, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Kyler Fackrell, Lerentee McCray, Reggie Gilbert

ILB SAM BARRINGTON, JAKE RYAN, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas, Carl Bradford, Beniquez Brown, Manoa Pikula

CB SAM SHIELDS, DAMARIOUS RANDALL, Quentin Rollins, Micah Hyde (S), Ladarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Demetri Goodson, Josh Hawkins, Makinton Dorleant, Warren Gatewood, Randall Jette

S MORGAN BURNETT, HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Chris Banjo, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Mason Crosby
    P Tim Masthay, Peter Mortell
    LS Rick Lovato
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-09-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    An update from Silverstein that fills one of the spots:

The Green Bay Packers have signed former Oak Creek High School and Utah State safety Marwin Evans to a rookie free agent contract, according to an NFL source.

Evans, a college teammate of Packers third-round pick Kyler Fackrell, had taken part in Seattle Seahawks rookie camp on a tryout basis last weekend. The Seahawks did not sign him and the Packers quickly pounced on him, choosing to sign him to their 53-man roster rather than work him out first.

The 5-11, 211-pound Evans parlayed a terrific pro day workout into interest around the NFL. Evans ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds and benched 225 pounds 19 times in his workout at Utah State. He also had a 42-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10-foot, 1-inch.

The Packers did not announce the signing of Evans, but they did announce a flurry of other moves, including the release of 2013 fifth-round pick Josh Boyd...

Being at 88 probably means they were signing others off the street FA heap after rookie minicamp and tryouts.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Being at 88 probably means they were signing others off the street FA heap after rookie minicamp and tryouts.
    signed:

TE Casey Pierce, Kent State

DT Demetris Anderson, Central Florida

RB Brandon Burks, Troy

FB Alstevis Squirewell, Newberry College

G Cory Tucker, Slippery Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    signed:

TE Casey Pierce, Kent State

DT Demetris Anderson, Central Florida

RB Brandon Burks, Troy

FB Alstevis Squirewell, Newberry College

G Cory Tucker, Slippery Rock

Yes, but the safety that Harv mentioned elsewhere from Seahawks camp was signed but not on official paperwork. So there could be another.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes, but the safety that Harv mentioned elsewhere from Seahawks camp was signed but not on official paperwork. So there could be another.
    I didn't include him because he has already been mentioned and discussed in this thread as pretty much a done deal but for the paperwork. The five I listed had not been mentioned yet, to my knowledge, so I listed them. I don't think any of them have yet been on the official transactions list, just three of those released.

I think they will have room for one more besides the six we have identified. I believe they were at 88, then released five and signed six, which should put them at 89.

I'm not surprised by Grinnage because I looked him and didn't give him a draftable or even PFA grade.

Roster seems to be at 88 players.

Are they holding a spot for one of these guys?

Code:
    61	Goode, Brett		LS	6-1	255	31	9	Arkansas
    89	Jones, James		WR	6-1	208	32	10	San Jose State
    30	Kuhn, John		FB	6-0	250	33	11	Shippensburg
    96	Neal, Mike		LB	6-3	262	28	7	Purdue
    81	Quarless, Andrew	TE	6-4	252	27	7	Penn State
    If we just signed a FB I doubt they are saving a spot for Kuhn and Jones was told weeks ago he wasn't in our plans for 2016. We signed Cook so Q is most likely out too. The only 2 that could still be signed yet are Goode and Neal.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    but they did announce a flurry of other moves, including the release of 2013 fifth-round pick Josh Boyd...

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

You can never tell anymore. The bottom half of those cups could be filled with surplus Reebok Pump bladders.

Also, Josh Boyd failed his physical.

According to the NFL transaction wire, Boyd failed his physical, which means the Packers felt he was not healthy enough to take part in any of the football activities they had scheduled. They have not commented on the condition of his injury.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/378705821.html

Also, drafting Clark while losing Raji and Boyd probably indicates that the Packers weren't as concerned by their DT lineup as draft prognosticators. They obviously knew Boyd wasn't healthy (or stood a good chance of not being healthy) but it was the retirement of Raji that made it an emergency.

For PackerRats such as myself, the presence of Boyd make the focus pre-draft on NT look overstated. But its obvious now they needed a talented body.