Thread: Is WR Davante Adams a prime candidate among NFL team Vets to be cut during TC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.
    I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.
    After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.
    Could be, but, except due to injuries, GB has not used their #5 WR very extensively for quite a while, so even if they don't want to play him, they might keep just 5, with him being the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.

Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.
    Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

I don't buy into the "everyone can do what he does better comment".

Abby is a sharp route runner. He could use more speed and might get cut. But he runs much sharper routes IMO than Janis, and Adams. I think Adams routes last year were sometimes lazy and sometimes piss poor and MM gave a long leash to fail, and he used every bit of it. Had MM given him a shorter leash and Janis and Abby more opportunity it may have been a good thing. Janis is fast but runs shit routes and still can't be relied on.

As a route runner, I was also very impressed with Montgomery's sharp routes as well and he picked up our offense very fast. He was a HUGE LOSS. Jordy is our best route runner IMO. Cobb is great improvising and runs decent routes as well. Who knows about Davis.

I can see Abby getting cut or making this team and contributing this year.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

As a route runner, ... Who knows about Davis.
    Initial reports are very encouraging, in that already he has impressed the DBs, Joe Witt and puppy Wolf.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...cess/84181302/

In one-on-one drills, practice-squad cornerback Robertson Daniel pressed close to the line of scrimmage. Davis went deep, catching a pass 30 yards downfield.

It looked like a flash of natural, physical ability. It was something more. In his first steps, Davis noticed Daniel was being “patient” with his go-route. Davis took a wide release off the line of scrimmage, avoiding Daniel’s contact.

“He’s really fast,” Daniel said.

He wasn’t getting burned again. Next rep, Daniel backpedaled to guard against the deep ball. Davis sold the go route, avoided Daniel’s jam off the line of scrimmage. With Daniel’s momentum going backward, Davis stopped on a dime.

The football was in his hands when he turned around.

“That’s route running,” Daniel said, “and understanding who you’re going against. He understands his opponent. Because a lot of guys I go against sometimes just try to swivel their way by me. He was taking a lot of wide releases (to avoid press-man coverage). He was taking wide releases away from my reach out, away from my strike point. Which is really smart.”

That’s something else Davis was in his first NFL practice — quite smart, actually.

“It’s everything,” Davis said. “... you have to be a great route runner.
    “Working at that is everything, because you’re a receiver. It’s your trade. Running routes is literally everything.”

Davis’ route running was criticized before the draft, but the Packers believe Davis is more than a pure speed receiver.
    Moments after the Packers drafted him, director of football operations Eliot Wolf gushed about Davis’ route running. Very smooth, Wolf said. Sudden. Davis, at 6-foot-1 and 188 pounds, played mostly on the perimeter at Cal. The Packers believe he has the shiftiness and technique to also play the slot.

“Good route runner,” Wolf said.

“The first thing that jumps out at you,” McCarthy said, “is his speed. And his hands.”

Davis knows he has a good chance with Rodgers, who he said “throws perfect deep balls.” If his speed is the key to unlocking a spot on the 53-man roster, his route-running will determine whether he sees the field.

So near the end of his first practice, after Davis shook Daniel for a wide-open catch underneath, it was worth noting cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr.’s booming reaction.

“That’s a good route!” Whitt shouted. “That’s a good route!”