Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is WR Davante Adams a prime candidate among NFL team Vets to be cut during TC?

Adams has a lot of talent as evidenced by his play the tail end of his rookie year. If he gets his shit together, Abby doesn't pose a serious threat to his spot on the roster, nor does Janis.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Better protection will make Rodgers more accurate again and will solve a lot of problems with the receivers.

I think Janis is in more danger than Adams. The coaches didn't trust Janis to run the play calls last year and he flashed only when they were playing playground ball. This is Year 3 for him. He needs to learn how to run the offense and its routes. They don't like to let athletes go, but McCarthy is not going to want to keep a guy who cannot be trusted to run the play.
    Better protection would make most QB's more accurate. Rodgers is supposed to be better than all the rest. So better protection or not, he better be more accurate this year.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Better protection would make most QB's more accurate. Rodgers is supposed to be better than all the rest. So better protection or not, he better be more accurate this year.
    Better or not, if you're getting sacked nine times in a game, it's turn out the lights, even for the best of QBs. Watch Steve Young playing for Tampa Bay. People thought he should be better too. Amazing how playing with better players overall made him 'magically' a HOF QB. This isn't archery: it's football.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think Janis is in more danger than Adams. The coaches didn't trust Janis to run the play calls last year and he flashed only when they were playing playground ball. This is Year 3 for him. He needs to learn how to run the offense and its routes. They don't like to let athletes go, but McCarthy is not going to want to keep a guy who cannot be trusted to run the play.
    I agree about Janis. It's a big jump from Saginaw Valley State to the NFL, but this is year 3. If he doesn't have the offense figured out this year, it may be time to move on. Davis is a real threat to him. Adams will make it unless he's just totally lost confidence and can't get it back.

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
    2. Cobb
    3. Montgomery
    4. Adams
    5. Davis
    6. Janis
    7. Abby
    Last edited by Joemailman; 05-11-2016 at 06:00 PM.

He's a candidate to be cut but certainly not a prime candidate. Last year will always be a mystery to me. Rodgers and the coaches were talking him up all offseason....Rodgers said he could be a star. Was it only the injuries? Did he slack off between OTA's and TC opening? McCarthy made comments about both him and DickRod needing to get themselves better prepared for the long season. Definitely will be an interesting offseason. Between Adams, Nelson, Janis, and DickRod we certainly have our share of players who have uncertainty surrounding them.
    Go PACK

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I think Adams, Abby, and Davis are fighting for two spots in what is probably close to a fair fight. If Adams still has all this potential he's got nothing to worry about.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    He's a candidate to be cut but certainly not a prime candidate. Last year will always be a mystery to me. Rodgers and the coaches were talking him up all offseason....Rodgers said he could be a star. Was it only the injuries? Did he slack off between OTA's and TC opening? McCarthy made comments about both him and DickRod needing to get themselves better prepared for the long season. Definitely will be an interesting offseason. Between Adams, Nelson, Janis, and DickRod we certainly have our share of players who have uncertainty surrounding them.
    Nice post.

You sum the WR position for the Packers up well.

I believe all the original confidence in Adams will return. He'll fight to play better and will.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think Adams was hurt, rushed back too soon and wasn't effective because of it, and t got to his head. I also wonder if the ankle didn't heal all the way. I thought Adams was supposed to be a pretty good route runner; that has to be tough with a bad ankle. I heard the talk about Rodgers calling him out for his work ethic; wouldn't doubt the "offseason MVP" talk went to his head and didn't prepare like he should have. I think that unless he completely craps the bed or pulls a Rae Carruth his roster spot is safe.
    There's also the issues of subpar OL performance and a lack of a true WR coach impacting the passing offense, Adams included.

Janis needs to show he can be consistent and trusted, then he'll stick. He has high special teams value, which you want out of your reserve WRs.
    Not sure what Abby provides that the others don't. Yeah, he's a good story and I'm rooting for him, but I think the roster spot comes down to him and Davis. The injury history is a concern with Abby too. Could they try to stash Abby on the PS?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I agree about Janis. It's a big jump from Saginaw Valley State to the NFL, but this is year 3. If he doesn't have the offense figured out this year, it may be time to move on. Davis is a real threat to him. Adams will make it unless he's just totally lost confidence and can't get it back.

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
    2. Cobb
    3. Montgomery
    4. Adams
    5. Davis
    6. Janis
    7. Abby
    I believe it's:

1. Nelson
    2.Cobb
    3.Adams
    4. Montgomery
    5.Janis or Davis...ST Value
    6.Abby is done as a Packer.

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I don't buy that in this case. Most QB who are inaccurate are consistently inaccurate. And in one year, Rodgers suddenly got way out of sync. Even great QBs can struggle with pressure, but for 12.5 games, Rodgers was a different QB and he was not always facing the most fearsome pass rush.

I think there is a chance that something went badly wrong with him last year. But we have other examples of his more common struggles and they did not look like 2015. He has had trouble with protection, sliding in the pocket and hanging on to the ball before, but it didn't make him a tire fire.

But when you add poor protection to the no huddle offense, the no coach WRs (injured and underperforming) and Fat Lacy, and I think the odds are better that it was circumstantial.

There is a possibility he's gone wrong. I just think its the least likely explanation.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree with woodbuck, absent continued deterioration from Adams, I think Janis and Davis are the direct competitors.

The less that Monty can do, the better the odds of Abby sticking.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

There is a possibility he's gone wrong. I just think its the least likely explanation.
    It was a down year for him, regardless of the other circumstances. We just don't know yet if it's permanent and/or start of an unrecoverable downward slide.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It was a down year for him, regardless of the other circumstances. We just don't know yet if it's permanent and/or start of an unrecoverable downward slide.
    Especially since it seemingly started in training camp.

Blog Entries
    Fresno Fraud
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
    2. Cobb
    3. Montgomery
    4. Adams
    5. Davis
    6. Janis
    7. Abby

Meaning Davis, Janis and Abby are fighting for the last spot (assuming 5 WRs)? That would be bad for Janis and Abby, I don't see a 5th rounder getting cut.

I agree with your ranking, but I think Montgomery is likely to start the season on the PUP, hence out of the picture for 6 weeksj. As long as Davis doesn't stink up the joint he gets a pass for being a rookie, leaving Janis and Abby for the last WR spot.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Hate to say it but Abby and his concussions are the biggest risk to the Packers WRs. He's a great home town hero story and nobody can take that away from him. He played for his home state team, the Green Bay Packers. Unfortunately the story probably comes to an end there. Davis is a better version. Bigger and faster and will do the ST things Abby did as well. Short of an injury I just don't see a spot on the roster for him. Thank you for your football time as a Badger and Packer Abby! In the words of Charles Barkley, "He a good duuude."
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    At this point I think Janis is safer than all three of Adams, Abby, or Davis on special teams alone. Not to mention the high note he ended the season on. Regardless of injuries Adams took the field and was completely ineffective last year. When finally replaced, his replacements outperformed him. In year three his draft stock isn't going to save him, he's going to have to have another one of those Augusts where Rodgers and McCarthy are mentioning him in the same sentence as "pro bowl." His path to make the team should be easy if he was hurt but it is merit based.

I think Abby is Adams biggest competition. He's filled out and showed that he's got more NFL potential than a career slot guy so he can make the team without causing a log jam. Don't know how much of a gambler's fallacy it is to look at past injury and assume future injury. Hopefully Abby doesn't leave glass doll parts all over the field this year.

Davis just simply has to show value. I don't get the sense that this is a project guy like Janis was nor the sense that he is competing with Janis for the team position of "fast guy." They're looking for a Kenny Stills here. A guy who can do the most possible damage with 30 catches and I think its just as simple as that. With Janis such a mad man on return and coverage teams I think some fresh legs would be a nice compliment.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.
    I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.

Davis is going to have to truly suck in order to not make the team. There are very few times a draft pick is cut during his rookie camp.