Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is WR Davante Adams a prime candidate among NFL team Vets to be cut during TC?

There seems to be a helluva lot of difference of opinion on these guys. Myself, I'm definitely negative on Adams. I also have never been very impressed with Montgomery, although maybe he has more ability than I've seen. Janis has always been the one I wanted to see play, and I think he proved his value when he finally got a chance. I rank them like this (Davis is pretty subjective since it's all measurables and hope with him):

1 Nelson
    2 Cobb
    3 Janis
    4 Davis
    5 Montgomery
    6 Abbrederis
    7 Adams
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.
    After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.
    Well if he comes off the bench to make a key play to win the Super Bowl, I'm good with that out of his career. The big difference is that Bush seemed to get all he could out of marginal physical tools, and so far Janis has all kinds of tools but they only seem to shine on ST.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.
    Could be, but, except due to injuries, GB has not used their #5 WR very extensively for quite a while, so even if they don't want to play him, they might keep just 5, with him being the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.
    I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.

Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Well if he comes off the bench to make a key play to win the Super Bowl, I'm good with that out of his career. The big difference is that Bush seemed to get all he could out of marginal physical tools, and so far Janis has all kinds of tools but they only seem to shine on ST.
    Bush had very good physical tools. In several events he tested nearly as good as, and in some things better than Janis did. Mid-4.40s in the 40, reportedly once as low as 4.36; 39" vertical; 10'5" broad jump; 4.11 shuttle. Decent size, strong and fit. The Packers brought him in to be, and did initially use him as their 3rd CB. They even gave him several opportunities to start at both CB and S, although perhaps more out of respect and loyalty, because his chances never lasted long.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Fresno Fraud
    You agree with TPB. Nuff said!

Adams will be fine. You doubters will forget about this thread and claim you knew it all along. I can't believe 1 bad season out of 2 total can even merit this discussion. Makes me very relieved TT is running shit. But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.
    I would love to be the Bears GM. #Bearsstillsuck
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    You agree with TPB. Nuff said!

Adams will be fine. You doubters will forget about this thread and claim you knew it all along. I can't believe 1 bad season out of 2 total can even merit this discussion. Makes me very relieved TT is running shit. But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.
    I hope you are correct. Adams was really coming on at the end of 2014 and had the monster game against DAL in the playoffs.

I still have faith he will get over his drops and pick up where he ended 2014 in 2016.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

We would have to have proven commodities up and down the WR position to get rid of Adams and we do not. For better or for worse, the Packers are not a "What have you done for me lately organization". I would be surprised if they dumped Adams due to the fact that he had a great first year and a not completely unexpected bad sophomore year. I don't think that's quite enough for the Packers to give up on a kid (even though the article wants to cast him as a seasoned veteran already). In fact, the only reason everyone's so focused on it is because we were so lean and needy at the position (Jordy out, Cobb hobbled, no significant help from the TEs) so that focus made it even worse because we essentially needed him to jump into a number one role on a dime. Disappointing that he couldn't do it and even more so that he made mistakes to exasperate things, but then again it was just his 2nd year. Anyway, not impossible, but I'd be surprised if the Packers gave up on him. I think he'd have to really be slacking in camp this year for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    This is a total tangent, but I find it really funny that a bunch of middle aged internet experts like us are so willing to pass judgement and sometimes condemn these phenomenal athletes. (This isn't directed at MadScientist, BTW, we all do it to some degree). Jarrett Bush's worst day would look better than any of our BEST days.

Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Netmag View Post
    We would have to have proven commodities up and down the WR position to get rid of Adams and we do not. For better or for worse, the Packers are not a "What have you done for me lately organization". I would be surprised if they dumped Adams due to the fact that he had a great first year and a not completely unexpected bad sophomore year. I don't think that's quite enough for the Packers to give up on a kid (even though the article wants to cast him as a seasoned veteran already). In fact, the only reason everyone's so focused on it is because we were so lean and needy at the position (Jordy out, Cobb hobbled, no significant help from the TEs) so that focus made it even worse because we essentially needed him to jump into a number one role on a dime. Disappointing that he couldn't do it and even more so that he made mistakes to exasperate things, but then again it was just his 2nd year. Anyway, not impossible, but I'd be surprised if the Packers gave up on him. I think he'd have to really be slacking in camp this year for that to happen.
    Nice first post.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    There seems to be a helluva lot of difference of opinion on these guys. Myself, I'm definitely negative on Adams. I also have never been very impressed with Montgomery, although maybe he has more ability than I've seen. Janis has always been the one I wanted to see play, and I think he proved his value when he finally got a chance. I rank them like this (Davis is pretty subjective since it's all measurables and hope with him):

1 Nelson
    2 Cobb
    3 Janis
    4 Davis
    5 Montgomery
    6 Abbrederis
    7 Adams
    What the FUCK are you smoking?

I'm starting to see some of the same old stupid Janis-hate creeping in. He's the only one beyond Nelson (hopefully back to normal) and Cobb (great as #2, not so hot as #1) who gave the passing game much of a lift at all - and I include when Montgomery was healthy. Adams played like crap; Montgomery wasn't bad, just kinda mediocre. Hopefully they won't just let Davis sit around and go to waste for a couple of years like they did Janis - assuming Davis is near as good as some think.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Not only are the Packers going to keep Adams, but they are going to innovate with the 6 wide package, pulling a crafty Beliciheat and designating one as ineligible just before the snap:

Under NFL rules the offense effectively has to have five players on the line of scrimmage who are ineligible to catch a pass. Normally, these five players are the offensive linemen, and they're stacked together in the middle of the field.

The Patriots didn't do that on those three plays. They used four clearly identifiable offensive linemen and had another player who was lined up in a different part of the formation declare himself as the fifth ineligible player.

The problem: The Ravens didn't know who that ineligible player would be until the referee announced it a few seconds before the play started. The Patriots were basically playing hide-and-seek with which receivers were eligible and which were linemen disguised as receivers.

After the game, Ravens coach John Harbaugh objected to the tactic, saying, "It was clearly deception."

Bill Belichick got to the heart of that deception when he said, "We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible."
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm starting to see some of the same old stupid Janis-hate creeping in. He's the only one beyond Nelson (hopefully back to normal) and Cobb (great as #2, not so hot as #1) who gave the passing game much of a lift at all - and I include when Montgomery was healthy. Adams played like crap; Montgomery wasn't bad, just kinda mediocre. Hopefully they won't just let Davis sit around and go to waste for a couple of years like they did Janis - assuming Davis is near as good as some think.
    What are you smoking? Passing game a lift?

He had 2 catches in the regular season. He had 7 catches for 145 and 2 TDs in the post season and he had 101 of those on 2 Hail Mary's in the same drive.

9 receptions in a year does not give the passing game a lift.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    If there was anyone who gave the passing game a lift this last year it was James Jones. Couldn't get separation but could catch the ball.

-Tim Harmston

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm more a fan of Montgomery than I am of Janis. I don't hate Janis, just like Montgomery's potential more. He was able to get lined up in the backfield a la Cobb and create mismatches. He also showed some ability to get open, which I hadn't seen from Janis yet.

I think they keep 6 WRs and assuming they are all healthy, Abby is the odd man out.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    What are you smoking? Passing game a lift?

He had 2 catches in the regular season. He had 7 catches for 145 and 2 TDs and he had 101 of those on 2 Hail Mary's in the same drive.
    Ya. Janis was never given (or didn't earn) much of an opportunity to have any impact on the offense. However, his two receptions during the year went for 33 yards and 46 yards in the same game. If memory serves correctly, there were also a couple long PI calls on long throws to him in games about that same time. I couldn't understand why they didn't let him go deep once or twice a game, expecially since nothing else they were doing seemed to be working. When he did go deep and they actually threw it to him, they seemed to get yards one way or another. After those two receptions and a couple PI calls, when he did come into games, it was mostly to block.

Adams screwed up again and again, but still played. It seemed that Janis wasn't allowed to be anything but perfect, nor was Abredderis for that matter. When he had a fumble, he wasn't seen again for a couple weeks. Yet Adams........

As was pointed out before, Schroeder has the ST card, which we need. That alone gets him a roster spot.

Unless Adams totally shits the bed, Abby is odd man out.

Abby still has PS eligibility, no?