Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Is WR Davante Adams a prime candidate among NFL team Vets to be cut during TC?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I'm more a fan of Montgomery than I am of Janis. I don't hate Janis, just like Montgomery's potential more. He was able to get lined up in the backfield a la Cobb and create mismatches. He also showed some ability to get open, which I hadn't seen from Janis yet.

I think they keep 6 WRs and assuming they are all healthy, Abby is the odd man out.
    This is where I'm at.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ya. Janis was never given (or didn't earn) much of an opportunity to have any impact on the offense. However, his two receptions during the year went for 33 yards and 46 yards in the same game. If memory serves correctly, there were also a couple long PI calls on long throws to him in games about that same time. I couldn't understand why they didn't let him go deep once or twice a game, expecially since nothing else they were doing seemed to be working. When he did go deep and they actually threw it to him, they seemed to get yards one way or another. After those two receptions and a couple PI calls, when he did come into games, it was mostly to block.

Adams screwed up again and again, but still played. It seemed that Janis wasn't allowed to be anything but perfect, nor was Abredderis for that matter. When he had a fumble, he wasn't seen again for a couple weeks. Yet Adams........
    By screwed up for Adams, I am assuming you mean ran the right route, got open and dropped the ball.

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a fly pattern correctly.

If that is what you meant we are in total agreement.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    By screwed up for Adams, I am assuming you mean ran the right route, got open and dropped the ball.

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a jump ball pattern correctly.

Fixed it for you.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    As was pointed out before, Schroeder has the ST card, which we need. That alone gets him a roster spot.

Unless Adams totally shits the bed, Abby is odd man out.

Abby still has PS eligibility, no?
    I think you have the wrong white WR.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

^ Mad has wired the site to change Janis to Schroeder.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ Mad has wired the site to change Janis to Schroeder.
    liar!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    At this point I think Janis is safer than all three of Adams, Abby, or Davis on special teams alone. Not to mention the high note he ended the season on. Regardless of injuries Adams took the field and was completely ineffective last year. When finally replaced, his replacements outperformed him. In year three his draft stock isn't going to save him, he's going to have to have another one of those Augusts where Rodgers and McCarthy are mentioning him in the same sentence as "pro bowl." His path to make the team should be easy if he was hurt but it is merit based.

I think Abby is Adams biggest competition. He's filled out and showed that he's got more NFL potential than a career slot guy so he can make the team without causing a log jam. Don't know how much of a gambler's fallacy it is to look at past injury and assume future injury. Hopefully Abby doesn't leave glass doll parts all over the field this year.

Davis just simply has to show value. I don't get the sense that this is a project guy like Janis was nor the sense that he is competing with Janis for the team position of "fast guy." They're looking for a Kenny Stills here. A guy who can do the most possible damage with 30 catches and I think its just as simple as that. With Janis such a mad man on return and coverage teams I think some fresh legs would be a nice compliment.
    Someone's likely to get hurt or not be ready, which could dictate the situation, but I agree with all of that 31. My guess is Monty won't be ready yet.
    Last edited by vince; 05-12-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a fly pattern correctly.

No, I don't mean just that at all. I mean the time Adams stopped his route and caused an interception, the time he didn't fight to keep his crossing route route in front of the DB, but gave the inside to the DB rather easily and again caused an interception (I think), etc. Adams screwed up a lot more than just dropping balls last year, but there were enough of the dropped balls too to justify giving someone else a few plays in his place .

I'm not suggesting that either Abbrederis or Janis should replace Adams, nor that either one should have played a lot. It just became frustrating that not much on offense was working, yet MM seemed unwilling to go beyond Cobb, Jones and Adams even after Montgomery was out and Jones was hurting. It was mostly an adventure when Janis went deep (he circled one like water in a drain), but two receptions for 79 yards in the regular season plus a couple long PI calls made it seem like trying another now and then couldn't have hurt anything. The offense was mostly in neutral anyway. A couple plays a game is all I wanted to see, even if they didn't throw to him on very many of them.

If they couldn't prepare him for at least a couple plays each game, either he should not be on the roster at all, or the WR noncoaching arrangement was a bigger fail than we even know.

I can think of a bunch of reasons Janis should be dropped. He is not a proficient wide receiver. However, the dude always finds a way to make huge plays. It's hard to not justify a roster spot for a guy like that.

Thx. I've lurked here for years. Used to read the JSO forum before it shut down. If I have internet access, I like to follow the comments during the game with other fans even if the game is on tv. It especially helps keep me sane during our post season games. I think I actually joined a couple of years ago, but my account activation email never made it to activation and eventually I stopped worrying about it since I could still read so I was OK. Then I noticed someone saying they were new and just got activated so I checked and I was active too!

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Nice first post.

Welcome!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha! Bashing that slacker admin? You will fit right in!

Welcome.

Welcome, belly up to the bar and order yourself a beer
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.
    Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

I don't buy into the "everyone can do what he does better comment".

Abby is a sharp route runner. He could use more speed and might get cut. But he runs much sharper routes IMO than Janis, and Adams. I think Adams routes last year were sometimes lazy and sometimes piss poor and MM gave a long leash to fail, and he used every bit of it. Had MM given him a shorter leash and Janis and Abby more opportunity it may have been a good thing. Janis is fast but runs shit routes and still can't be relied on.

As a route runner, I was also very impressed with Montgomery's sharp routes as well and he picked up our offense very fast. He was a HUGE LOSS. Jordy is our best route runner IMO. Cobb is great improvising and runs decent routes as well. Who knows about Davis.

I can see Abby getting cut or making this team and contributing this year.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Abby isn't a slow as some are suggesting. I know 40 times are not the be all/end all but what else can we use for comparison? Both Abby and Jordy's 40 are virtually identical.

Ah, we all know someone will get hurt anyway so all this will be a moot point.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

As a route runner, ... Who knows about Davis.
    Initial reports are very encouraging, in that already he has impressed the DBs, Joe Witt and puppy Wolf.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...cess/84181302/

In one-on-one drills, practice-squad cornerback Robertson Daniel pressed close to the line of scrimmage. Davis went deep, catching a pass 30 yards downfield.

It looked like a flash of natural, physical ability. It was something more. In his first steps, Davis noticed Daniel was being “patient” with his go-route. Davis took a wide release off the line of scrimmage, avoiding Daniel’s contact.

“He’s really fast,” Daniel said.

He wasn’t getting burned again. Next rep, Daniel backpedaled to guard against the deep ball. Davis sold the go route, avoided Daniel’s jam off the line of scrimmage. With Daniel’s momentum going backward, Davis stopped on a dime.

The football was in his hands when he turned around.

“That’s route running,” Daniel said, “and understanding who you’re going against. He understands his opponent. Because a lot of guys I go against sometimes just try to swivel their way by me. He was taking a lot of wide releases (to avoid press-man coverage). He was taking wide releases away from my reach out, away from my strike point. Which is really smart.”

That’s something else Davis was in his first NFL practice — quite smart, actually.

“It’s everything,” Davis said. “... you have to be a great route runner.
    “Working at that is everything, because you’re a receiver. It’s your trade. Running routes is literally everything.”

Davis’ route running was criticized before the draft, but the Packers believe Davis is more than a pure speed receiver.
    Moments after the Packers drafted him, director of football operations Eliot Wolf gushed about Davis’ route running. Very smooth, Wolf said. Sudden. Davis, at 6-foot-1 and 188 pounds, played mostly on the perimeter at Cal. The Packers believe he has the shiftiness and technique to also play the slot.

“Good route runner,” Wolf said.

“The first thing that jumps out at you,” McCarthy said, “is his speed. And his hands.”

Davis knows he has a good chance with Rodgers, who he said “throws perfect deep balls.” If his speed is the key to unlocking a spot on the 53-man roster, his route-running will determine whether he sees the field.

So near the end of his first practice, after Davis shook Daniel for a wide-open catch underneath, it was worth noting cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr.’s booming reaction.

“That’s a good route!” Whitt shouted. “That’s a good route!”

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I can think of a bunch of reasons Janis should be dropped. He is not a proficient wide receiver. However, the dude always finds a way to make huge plays. It's hard to not justify a roster spot for a guy like that.
    He does have the speed to help ST out, especially on coverage units. So that gives him a pretty big lift that the others don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Abby isn't a slow as some are suggesting. I know 40 times are not the be all/end all but what else can we use for comparison? Both Abby and Jordy's 40 are virtually identical.
    I think his lack of size and durability questions hurt him more.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    “The first thing that jumps out at you,” McCarthy said, “is his speed. And his hands.”

It sounds like the second thing that jumps out at you are his hands.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

For some historical perspective, here is a rookie camp article about another slightly built GB Packer draft pick in 1999, Donald Driver:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/189735661.html

They list him at 180 lbs, various lists and rosters at the time listed him at 180-188.

Recently, of course, there is Abbrederis as a very slightly built receiver. A big difference I see is in musculature. Davis out ran and out jumped Abbrederis by quite a bit, and beat him on the bench press 11 reps to 4. I can't find anything on Driver, except of course that he was world class in high jump, long jump and triple jump in college.

(Edit: I meant to post the above in the thread about Davis, but accidentally posted it here. It seems relevant, so I will leave it in both)
    Last edited by Patler; 05-13-2016 at 12:26 PM.