Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An amazing story: Washington Owner Dan Snyder Ruined His Own Quarterback Star

An amazing story: Washington Owner Dan Snyder Ruined His Own Quarterback Star

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

Washington Owner Dan Snyder Ruined His Own Quarterback Star

By Mike Freeman , NFL National Lead Writer May 20, 2016

" According to Reid, Griffin called a meeting with Shanahan, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur in February 2013 and told them to let him speak without interruption. "

Comment woodbuck27:

I know there are many in here that disrespect BR but PLEASE the author of this article is deserving of a read. This is amazing to me that any NFL team team owner would give such power to any player over the coaching staff. When this power was awarded the player was in his Rookie contract.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

There are reasons that some teams have very little continued success. I'm sure Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, and Buffalo have similar sad stories to tell. Other programs like Pittsburgh, New England, and our own have continuity and long-term success. I'm old enough to remember when those three programs were very weak and the Cowboys had 25 or so years without a losing record. Ownership, management, and coaching make all the difference.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Click here for a list of NFL owners. As you look at the list, I noticed that the higher the media profile of certain owners, the more likely they are an overbearing, "me first", meddling kind of owner. Hey, it's their team, but they have to wear the results. The owner with the highest profile, but comes off looking like a team first guy is Robert Kraft. If you had Belichick and Brady for all those years, you shouldn't inject yourself too much. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Snyder, while he tries to build a team, can't seem to get out of his own way in screwing things up. Just write the checks Danny boy! Leave the rest to the football operations people.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Click here for a list of NFL owners. As you look at the list, I noticed that the higher the media profile of certain owners, the more likely they are an overbearing, "me first", meddling kind of owner. Hey, it's their team, but they have to wear the results. The owner with the highest profile, but comes off looking like a team first guy is Robert Kraft. If you had Belichick and Brady for all those years, you shouldn't inject yourself too much. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Snyder, while he tries to build a team, can't seem to get out of his own way in screwing things up. Just write the checks Danny boy! Leave the rest to the football operations people.
    "You meddling kids!"

So is Daniel Snyder Shaggy or Freddie?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I read the Reid article, and it sounds like typical media bullshit. Griffin comes from the next town over from me. He is a military kid - highly intelligent, disciplined, and decent by all accounts I've heard. The article talks about running an "option offense like he ran at Baylor". No, that's not accurate. They ran a pro-style offense at Baylor. Most of Griffin's running came on broken plays - a very very few called runs. It made sense, given the injuries, for Griffin to run less, although actually, even at Washington before the injuries, they ran very little read option. From all I heard, Griffin wanted to be unleashed and run more. I seriously question the credibility of the article.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I read the Reid article, and it sounds like typical media bullshit. Griffin comes from the next town over from me. He is a military kid - highly intelligent, disciplined, and decent by all accounts I've heard. The article talks about running an "option offense like he ran at Baylor". No, that's not accurate. They ran a pro-style offense at Baylor. Most of Griffin's running came on broken plays - a very very few called runs. It made sense, given the injuries, for Griffin to run less, although actually, even at Washington before the injuries, they ran very little read option. From all I heard, Griffin wanted to be unleashed and run more. I seriously question the credibility of the article.

Who knows, really, as far as whether Snyder influenced that young man. But I believe without question the post above as far as what offense was run and so forth.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It's factually wrong about Baylor and about what the Redskins ran. As for the story the guy conjured up about the meeting, who knows - he even said, I think, he didn't have any first hand knowledge. And if Snyder had any influence, who knows about that also, except that it sounds kinda far-fetched and/or exaggerated. The damn media says a bunch of crap about Jerry Jones, most of which is false too, so I tend to disbelieve any weird story like this.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'm amazed that this could ever take place. I cannot imagine that it did.

It makes absolutely no sense to allow a relatively new player to a team inform the coaching staff of that team RE: how it is going to be in terms of the teams playbook.....That is like something you might expect off of Saturday Night Live.

I expect to see rebuttals RE: the TRUTH and this article.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It's factually wrong about Baylor and about what the Redskins ran. As for the story the guy conjured up about the meeting, who knows - he even said, I think, he didn't have any first hand knowledge. And if Snyder had any influence, who knows about that also, except that it sounds kinda far-fetched and/or exaggerated. The damn media says a bunch of crap about Jerry Jones, most of which is false too, so I tend to disbelieve any weird story like this.
    http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/3/5/28...spread-offense

Baylor's Art Briles offense with RGIII. Spread lineup with WR screens and QB zone reads. Its not pro-style just because you pass.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "You meddling kids!"

So is Daniel Snyder Shaggy or Freddie?
    He's more like the monster that they pull the mask off of at the end of the episode, and they all yell the villian's name in unison. I can just hear it now; "Daniel Snyder! You gave up five draft choices for RGIII?! To which he would say, "It would have been six if it wasn't for you meddling kids"

Speaking of questionable intelligence, you'd think that after dealing with a few monsters that turned out to be someone trying to scare them that the Scooby Doo crew would start out the episode being skeptical, especially having Velma the brains of the operation.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

What's amazing to me is that people like that who have achieved such lofty status, don't have a better understanding of organizational structure and the proper way of dealing with people.

I see it all the time on a much smaller scale - lousy department managers and supervisors... leaves you scratching your head wondering how idiots like that get promoted to their positions. Ass-kissing their bosses I'm sure... but what does it say about that guy who fell for the schmoozing and promoted someone who is completely ill-suited to the job??
    wist

It says that they like to promote people who make them feel important, possibly more than they like to hire people of competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    He's more like the monster that they pull the mask off of at the end of the episode, and they all yell the villian's name in unison. I can just hear it now; "Daniel Snyder! You gave up five draft choices for RGIII?! To which he would say, "It would have been six if it wasn't for you meddling kids"

Speaking of questionable intelligence, you'd think that after dealing with a few monsters that turned out to be someone trying to scare them that the Scooby Doo crew would start out the episode being skeptical, especially having Velma the brains of the operation.

Velma had brains but not emotional intelligence. The chick who played her in the Scooby Doo movie was hot, though.

And how could any of them be alert when they spent so much time getting stoned in the Mystery Mobile on Letroy Guion's dope?

KYPack

Shaggy never inhaled.....

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    What's amazing to me is that people like that who have achieved such lofty status, don't have a better understanding of organizational structure and the proper way of dealing with people.

I see it all the time on a much smaller scale - lousy department managers and supervisors... leaves you scratching your head wondering how idiots like that get promoted to their positions. Ass-kissing their bosses I'm sure... but what does it say about that guy who fell for the schmoozing and promoted someone who is completely ill-suited to the job??
    Unfortunately for the humble workers:

Ass Kissing Foreman and Supervisors over the top too often manage to reach their level of incompetence.

Lombardi chose Bengston as his successor.......

I have also seen it go the opposite way, promote a top performer to a managerial job that he can not handle. A good worker is not always cutout to be a manager, especially if he was always sort of a lone wolf. Finding the right people isn't always easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I have also seen it go the opposite way, promote a top performer to a managerial job that he can not handle. A good worker is not always cutout to be a manager, especially if he was always sort of a lone wolf. Finding the right people isn't always easy.
    Yep. Most failed head coaches were outstanding coordinators. And after failing as a head coach, many of them go back to being outstanding coordinators. Also, Mike Holmgren was a great head coach and a lousy GM. It can be difficult sometimes to project what someone's ceiling is.

nm
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-23-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.