Thread: Sitton making concessions for age and back problems

Sitton making concessions for age and back problems

Sitton will play a bit smaller this year after dropping significant weight for the off season, with the intention of adding some, but not all of the weight back for the season.

This offseason, with his 30th birthday approaching in June, Sitton dropped 20 to 25 pounds in the offseason to ease the strain on his chronically sore back and the rest of his joints. It’s the lightest he has been since 2011. He said he did it mainly with a healthier diet.

Sitton plans to add back 10 to 15 pounds by the start of the season, which will leave his playing weight between 315 and 320.
    His back is an ongoing problem. How much of a factor will it be in the Packers approach to another contract with Sitton?

I think it's a huge factor. I doubt the Packers will be able to keep both Lang and Sitton. They may well decide to keep whichever one is perceived to have the best health outlook.

Marco Rivera II? If they let Sitton walk do they try to re-sign Tretter and plug him in at LG? I am guessing that the market for unproven centers would not be so expensive that they couldn't get him to re-up.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    If Sitton is already talking about his back issues like this, I think his price just went down. He'll be cheaper to keep than many think and I wouldn't be surprised if he's done within 3 years. With more players than ever (still a very small number overall) walking away from the game with health concerns, I think that we'll see more "early retirements" from players who normally would have played for 6-7 more years, especially these guys in the trenches. Their backs, knees, and hips just can't take the abuse.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sitton will play a bit smaller this year after dropping significant weight for the off season, with the intention of adding some, but not all of the weight back for the season.

His back is an ongoing problem. How much of a factor will it be in the Packers approach to another contract with Sitton?

Losing such a large number of pounds fairly quickly and then re-gaining some or most of it is probably not healthy for his heart.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Losing such a large number of pounds fairly quickly and then re-gaining some or most of it is probably not healthy for his heart.
    Watching the Packers is not healthy for my heart.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Watching the Packers is not healthy for my heart.
    Shit, that explains everything!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers