Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Green Bay one of the NFL's drug dens?

Is Green Bay one of the NFL's drug dens?

Suspended in recent seasons for drug-related events:

Johnny Jolly
    Mike Neal
    Allan Barbre (one season after leaving GB)
    Datone Jones
    Jarrett Bush
    Letroy Guion
    Mike Pennel
    Demetri Goodson

Now the HGH investigations of Matthews, Peppers and Neal.

If this was another team, like the Bengals, we would laugh at them. If it was the Vikings, we would ridicule them. But, its "our" Packers.

How should we respond?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I don't know about you, but I'm getting high.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Johnny Jolly
    Mike Neal
    Datone Jones
    Jarrett Bush
    Letroy Guion
    Mike Pennel
    Demetri Goodson

If this was another team, like the Bengals, we would laugh at them. If it was the Vikings, we would ridicule them. But, its "our" Packers.

How should we respond?
    I don't know if there's enough of a pattern here to say there's a big problem. Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all. Guion and Jones were suspended after being caught by police. That might be bad luck. It is true the Packers haven't taken a stand against players suspended for drug use. Jolly, Neal, Jones and Guion have all been welcomed back after suspensions. I have no idea if that makes them different than other teams, but perhaps they need to look at how they deal with players who have been suspended.

Too early to judge the situation with Peppers and Matthews. Neal appears to have been shunned by the entire league for now.

^ They have taken a stand against players at the end of the roster who have been caught.

I'd split them into PED versus non PED. What were Goodson and Barbre busted for?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ They have taken a stand against players at the end of the roster who have been caught.

I'd split them into PED versus non PED. What were Goodson and Barbre busted for?
    Goodson and Barbre were PED's.

3 recreational versus 5 PED. Its good the locker room is balanced.

Wonder what other team's lists look like?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all.

Too early to judge the situation with Peppers and Matthews. Neal appears to have been shunned by the entire league for now.
    Bush was suspended just a few months after the season. I suspect it was based on a test while he was still on the team. Some suspensions have come a year or more after the first failed test with the procedural delays and automatic reviews before anything becomes public. For that reason, Barbre's suspension could indicate nefarious acts while still a Packer. Not certain, though. Then, too with Barbre, I would question how soon from first use he actually failed a test.

I agree it is too soon for any conclusions on the HGH investigations.
    Last edited by Patler; 05-26-2016 at 01:44 PM.

My impression is the Packers are no more or less dirty than the rest of the league.

Johnny Jolly
    Mike Neal
    Datone Jones
    Jarrett Bush
    Letroy Guion
    Mike Pennel
    Demetri Goodson

How should we respond?

We should respond by acknowledging that we are sure that if there are eight Packers on such a list, then there are obviously three times that many on other teams, and that it's abundantly clear that every single player on the rosters of the Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, and Patriots is surely a severe drug addict, and probably a rapist, too.

That's how I say we should respond.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/380744451.html

Though he declined to offer specifics about what triggered the failed test, Goodson said he did not take anything on purpose. He also said the banned substance was nothing designed to give him a competitive advantage.

“I was shocked,” Goodson said. “But after asking people and stuff like this, this type of stuff happens a lot. You’ve just got to be careful of what you take and all that stuff. But like I said, it wasn’t anything that could help me on the field or anything like that.”
    “Anything that happens usually in my life, anything that’s a speed bump, I don’t want to say it stunts my growth, but it’s a setback,” Pennel said. “So now I just try to put my best foot forward and be a better person and be a better player for the Green Bay Packers.”

When asked what he learned from the situation, Pennel was blunt: “Follow the rules.”

Now Pennel is snorting speed and smoking blunts?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Packers People = Myth

Bush's suspension was a strange one. He was an FA at the time, and had just spent the night in the drunk tank after never (that I can recall) getting in trouble during his career with the Packers. Then a 4 game suspension for PEDs was followed up with a 10 game suspension for a second drug related offense that was never specified.

Was his career over, he knew it and didn't care anymore?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I don't know if there's enough of a pattern here to say there's a big problem. Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all. Guion and Jones were suspended after being caught by police. That might be bad luck. It is true the Packers haven't taken a stand against players suspended for drug use. Jolly, Neal, Jones and Guion have all been welcomed back after suspensions. I have no idea if that makes them different than other teams, but perhaps they need to look at how they deal with players who have been suspended.

Does Surly Furious count?

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Bush's suspension was a strange one. He was an FA at the time, and had just spent the night in the drunk tank after never (that I can recall) getting in trouble during his career with the Packers. Then a 4 game suspension for PEDs was followed up with a 10 game suspension for a second drug related offense that was never specified.

Was his career over, he knew it and didn't care anymore?
    After the 2014 season when he became a FA, he has sports hernia surgery. I've always suspected he got on PED's to recover faster from the surgery so that some team would want to sign him. The 10 game suspension is a mystery though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    We should respond by acknowledging that we are sure that if there are eight Packers on such a list, then there are obviously three times that many on other teams, and that it's abundantly clear that every single player on the rosters of the Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, and Patriots is surely a severe drug addict, and probably a rapist, too.

That's how I say we should respond.

True, like Sharper....wait, we got him from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    True, like Sharper....wait, we got him from you!
    The Love Boat corrupted him.

The Love Boat corrupted him.

That's a theory worth exploring!

Was anybody else alarmed reading the quote from Tony Horton saying he gave "supplements" to Eddie Lacy when they were working out together? The alarm rang loud and clear and I felt a a sense of dread that this celebrity trainer with no previous experience with NFL players just screwed up Eddie's next piss test.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Was anybody else alarmed reading the quote from Tony Horton saying he gave "supplements" to Eddie Lacy when they were working out together? The alarm rang loud and clear and I felt a a sense of dread that this celebrity trainer with no previous experience with NFL players just screwed up Eddie's next piss test.
    Yes. Though there is an approved list. So it should NOT be hard to parse that down.

If you avoid over the counter crap that promises the moon, it can probably be done safely by non-NFL trainers.

But I'd be lying if I said that fear hadn't crossed my mind.