View Poll Results: Is friction building between McCarthy and Thompson?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. 2 published reports, its officially a thing.

0 0%
  • Nope. Single report, one source, that could have been mere speculation.

17 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mike McCarthy Is On The Hot Seat

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    We are lucky to have McCarthy to turn this pile of nothing into a playoff caliber team I guess.

Its funny though, I never get the impression we are outclassed (when healthy) until M3 starts coaching close late game strategy. Must be my lying eyes.
    Has any coach had as many near-misses in the playoffs as MM? 2007, 2009, 2013-2015. 4 OT losses and 1 regulation game where SF won on the last play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Has any coach had as many near-misses in the playoffs as MM? 2007, 2009, 2013-2015. 4 OT losses and 1 regulation game where SF won on the last play of the game.
    Its the Schottenheimer in him. For a long time I thought he had beaten it, but he hasn't worked through it yet.

Taking the ball out of the hands of your best player is such classic Martyball that it makes me want to weep.

He has improved on the original in so many ways that I thought this was a matter of time. But its still there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Since we drifted off into how much TT sucks at drafting I think I will try taking us a little further off course. Schneider has done an amazing job in the late rounds but has been below average in the first two rounds. If this trend continues how long until he is called lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sitton is more than "very good" as a pass blocker. He didn't give up a sack in 37 consecutive games until this year and typically yields about 10 pressures per year. What more do you expect? As a run blocker, he typically is credited by McGinn with only about 10-12 bad runs in a year. Is he a road grader clearing paths for ball carrier? No, but I'm not sure anyone would be in the Packers offense. Sitton has been generally mentioned as one of the best five guards in any list you see. How is that not an impact player when the league has 64 starters at guard?

If Sitton was on another team, you would call him a great pick, and criticize TT for having passed on him while taking Joe Schmoe. But, since he actually is a Packer, he naturally isn't that good.
    I consider Sitton a "great" pick... just not an elite player.

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    wist

We are lucky to have McCarthy to turn this pile of nothing into a playoff caliber team I guess.

Its funny though, I never get the impression we are outclassed (when healthy) until M3 starts coaching close late game strategy. Must be my lying eyes.
    I've liked a lot of the talent - but the overall finesse philosophy hurts the product on the field to whatever extent. The Packers have a soft reputation - enough so that commentators talk about it.

SF literally laughed at us for a few years running, as the kicked they shit out of us every time we played them. As a fan, I certainly didn't enjoy watching another team push us all over the field.

Something is wrong with the picture, if - as you guys say - Rodgers is the best player in the league, and we have half a roster of elite players, and the other have were ripped off by not being invited to the pro bowl.

It isn't just "late game" coaching meltdowns... although, I'm pretty sure McCarthy wears panties on game day, and when the pressure is on, his nuts are too shriveled to drive a stake into an opponents throat. No, there is something amiss - if it is true we have the best player in the NFL, and we can't win more than 1 championship in 11 years, and likely won't win another one anytime soon.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    This discussion has lost focus and definition. You started out discussing "impact players". That changed to "elite players". I think they are different, with elite being a higher category. You see Sitton as neither, which I may disagree with, but can understand. The part I find astonishing is that you said Sitton does not even earn "very good" status, just "good". I think that is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    This discussion has lost focus and definition. You started out discussing "impact players". That changed to "elite players". I think they are different, with elite being a higher category. You see Sitton as neither, which I may disagree with, but can understand. The part I find astonishing is that you said Sitton does not even earn "very good" status, just "good". I think that is absurd.
    How many levels of goodness are there?? lol...

If having a turnstile at G is getting Rodgers killed on a regular basis - and Sitton stepping in and solidifying the position makes life cozy for Rodgers?? Then okay, he's an "impact player"...

That said, how often is Rodgers running for his life?? Seems like all the time. Granted some of that is due to holding the ball, which in turn may be a function of receivers not getting open...

Which leads us back to - what's wrong with the picture?? If receivers are not getting open - then do we have "elite" receivers?? No, of course we don't - Nelson is close to that though. And if Rodgers is constantly running for his life - which he is a good amount of the time - you can't blame it all on receivers not getting open - bacteria is a turnstile, but it isn't all on bacteria. Rodgers gets pressure from all over the place - I don't know who is doing the grading, or counting pressures, but that can be a pretty subjective walk around the church.

Something is pretty wrong with the picture - if all these players are "elite", or "impact", or "very good", or "good"... no?? If the worst player we had in our starting lineup was "good" - why are we not winning more championships?? M3 wearing panties on game day??

We're likely a 2nd tier contender again this year... right off the top Seattle, Arizona, and Carolina are all better than we are - and that is only in the NFC. Again, if we have the best player in the league, why are we not a top-tier contender?? We're in the conversation b/c of Rodgers, but I think most people would admit that all of those teams I mentioned are better than the Packers.
    wist

assuming no injuries, I think perhaps Carolina might be better. I think on a neutral field vrs Seattle and Arizona we win 60% of the time. Patriots likely beat us because of Gronk (healthy he is arguably the best player in the league) . Pittsburgh and cincy are going to be 50/50.
    This is if everyone is healthy. And yes I think fully healthy Pitt and cincy are slightly better than Seattle and Arizona

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    McCarthy is not going any where unless he has two seasons in a row where he fails to win a playoff game and fails to win the division, and Ted Thompson retires.

The Packers have a solid roster. It is not an elite roster, but very few teams are stacked like the 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers of the 90s. You just don't see those kind of rosters anymore.

Thompson has built a roster each year with an ability to win a Division title, make it to the playoffs, and contend for one of the final 4 spots in the NFC. What he hasn't done is make high risk/high reward moves in free agency or in trades to bring in players that could possibly push the Packers into NFC Champions. Let's face it, Ted Thompson is not Ron Wolf. He will not sacrifice salary cap to make a push to the Super Bowl. His method is consistency and keeping fans content and hoping for a magic carpet ride to the Super Bowl. If the Packers stay relatively injury free which is unlikely under McCarthy they have a roster that can push for a Super Bowl.

Right now no part of the Packers is dynamic. The Passing game two years ago was dynamic, last year it was a little above average. The defense is decent but unspectacular, the running game was a flop last year, and special teams was better in 2015 but not dynamic. McCarthy will keep his job as long as Thompson is in charge, and he keeps his win total around 10 per year, but for the fans that want Super Bowls a change of how to build a roster might have to change.

Also this team has no swagger. You look at the 1996 team, that team had swagger.

If someone doesn't agree with you, they are homers.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    assuming no injuries, I think perhaps Carolina might be better. I think on a neutral field vrs Seattle and Arizona we win 60% of the time. Patriots likely beat us because of Gronk (healthy he is arguably the best player in the league) . Pittsburgh and cincy are going to be 50/50.
    This is if everyone is healthy. And yes I think fully healthy Pitt and cincy are slightly better than Seattle and Arizona
    The only people who think the Packers are better than Seattle and Arizona are Packer fans.

I might agree with being 50/50 with cincy and Pittsburgh, but both of those teams are much more physical than we are... that wins out more often than not, if all other things are equal.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Super bowl 51 odds to win as of 6/1:

• Patriots +700
    • Seahawks +800
    • Packers +1000
    • Steelers +1000
    • Panthers +1100
    • Cardinals +1200
    • Bengals +1800
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

That's a soft +1000. Those odds makers are clearly Packer homers.

I certainly wouldn't waste my money betting in June on who would win the SB next February.

Lot of stupid people out there though
    wist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That's a soft +1000. Those odds makers are clearly Packer homers.
    Do you hit a soft 1000 or just double down?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    *Yawn*

We need another shit stirrer in addition to Wist. I appreciate his contrarian view but we need a new set of opposing argument to spice this place up.

I HEAR MY NAME BEING CALLED.........lol.........I truly appreciate Wist as I come across as an optimist when he's around.

Up to this point TT has assembled a team that got hot at the right time and went on a run when the NFL was all about even. After that.....yup.........

a wise man once said

FART IN THE WIND
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    How many levels of goodness are there?? lol...

If having a turnstile at G is getting Rodgers killed on a regular basis - and Sitton stepping in and solidifying the position makes life cozy for Rodgers?? Then okay, he's an "impact player"...

That said, how often is Rodgers running for his life?? Seems like all the time. Granted some of that is due to holding the ball, which in turn may be a function of receivers not getting open...

Which leads us back to - what's wrong with the picture?? If receivers are not getting open - then do we have "elite" receivers?? No, of course we don't - Nelson is close to that though. And if Rodgers is constantly running for his life - which he is a good amount of the time - you can't blame it all on receivers not getting open - bacteria is a turnstile, but it isn't all on bacteria. Rodgers gets pressure from all over the place - I don't know who is doing the grading, or counting pressures, but that can be a pretty subjective walk around the church.

Something is pretty wrong with the picture - if all these players are "elite", or "impact", or "very good", or "good"... no?? If the worst player we had in our starting lineup was "good" - why are we not winning more championships?? M3 wearing panties on game day??

We're likely a 2nd tier contender again this year... right off the top Seattle, Arizona, and Carolina are all better than we are - and that is only in the NFC. Again, if we have the best player in the league, why are we not a top-tier contender?? We're in the conversation b/c of Rodgers, but I think most people would admit that all of those teams I mentioned are better than the Packers.

pretty much agree with this; AZ seems ready to make a run
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    None of these guys is going anywhere - until they decide to leave. 10-6 in perpetuity is good enough for the Packers organization.

How many impact players, i.e. elite level players has TT drafted?? Rodgers is it... Jordy is just below that, and Clay a slight level below that.

I know the homers will say it is b/c we always draft in the 20's, but that doesn't fly... Seattle managed to find a basket full of impact players after the 1st round. How good would Bobby Wagner (2nd round) look in Green and Gold?? or Cam Chancellor (5th round), or Richard Sherman (5th round)??

Richard Sherman was pick #154 - Ted took TE DJ Williams with pick #141 in the 2011 draft

Cam Chancellor was pick #133 - Ted traded his 3rd and 4th round picks to move up 15 spots in the 3rd round to take Morgan Burnett. In the 5th round TT took TE Andrew Quarless.

Bobby Wagner was pick #47 - Ted spent a first round pick on Nick Perry, pick #28; then used pick #51 on DT Jerel Worthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but TT really isn't all he's cracked up to be.

He's only hit on a few guys over the course of 11 years. If he hadn't departed from his myopic approach to roster building during '10 season, i.e. by signing Woodson, Pickett, and Greene - we wouldn't have lucked out and won the SB that year.

I believe it was Ron Wolfe who coined the phrase, "a fart in the wind", lol...

We're playoff contenders every year, but I don't consider our team overall to be at the level necessary to seriously contend for the SB.

WISTY......you are showing hints of seeing the light..........even though you don't realize it !!!!!!!!!

It is 75% Ted and 25% DOM. DOM is not a bad DC. He just coaches to the talent Ted provides for him. I'm not saying he's outstanding....but undoubtedly middle of the pack.

Ted needs to have more hits on these defensive draft picks; that we agree on.

RON WOLF > TED THOMPSON up to this point.

If you venture over to Footballs Future's Comparison forum there is a thread right now comparing Mike to John Harbaugh and JH is winning that pole by an overwhelming margin. I find that slightly ridiculous. Harbaugh is a good coach but he isn't light years better than MM.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=579080

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    pretty much agree with this; AZ seems ready to make a run
    They better hope Carson Palmer doesn't start to show his age and actually performs well in the playoffs.