Thread: New coach, new drills

New coach, new drills

It's nice to see a new, young coach changing things to make practice interesting:

As the Packers paused for a water break Thursday, the wide receivers gathered off to the side of Ray Nitschke Field and dived into a veritable goody bag.

Out came tennis balls and footballs, which were to be juggled, and a number of red bricks, which were to be dropped and caught before hitting the ground. A collection of NERF balls surfaced, and players were instructed to catch and squeeze those, too.

What looked like the aftermath of a confused piñata was in reality a coaching tool for a newly promoted member of the coaching staff. Luke Getsy, elevated to wide receivers coach during the offseason, created the drills in an attempt to improve hand-eye coordination for his players. The early returns were positive: smiles, laughter and, of course, work.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...hods/85316572/

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Well, that explains the video of Montgomery juggling footballs that made the rounds.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Well, that explains the video of Montgomery juggling footballs that made the rounds.
    If these drills help keep the guys from dropping passes I'm all for it.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar

I also saw one on my FB feed from Packers.com showing Randall and Devante juggling tennis balls back and forth to each other.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We saw receivers do that all last year in games, with the same result at the end.

This workout if famous for causing foot injuries.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

bricks?! they should get andre drummond out there and let the guys fight for his errant free-throws. if he's too busy maybe dwight howard or deandre jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This workout if famous for causing foot injuries.
    With as easily and seriously as Rollins injured his finger in a relatively innocent OTA drill, messing around with bricks might be a bit risky for all digits!