Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JS-----JANIS deserves the chance to win the #3

i would hope that the positions are not etched in stone before training camp like the title seems to say

you would think any of the guys, if they deserve it, could be the #3 or hell even the #1 if they play better then the guy already ahead of them. no matter it its janis, adams, ty, abby or the rookie

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i would hope that the positions are not etched in stone before training camp like the title seems to say

you would think any of the guys, if they deserve it, could be the #3 or hell even the #1 if they play better then the guy already ahead of them. no matter it its janis, adams, ty, abby or the rookie
    There may well not be a clear cut #3. There was a period when Jordy/Jones were 3-4 behind Jennings and Driver until Driver declined.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Man, don't remember anything about Adams.

Barry Smith?

Yeah, maybe the biggest flop receiver (outside of the Ferg) ever.
    Wasn't Ferguson coming on pretty well until that fateful clothesline by the Jax safety or am I just waxing poetic?

Seems to me he had a decent season the year before and had started that year well, but that hit derailed it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Wasn't Ferguson coming on pretty well until that fateful clothesline by the Jax safety or am I just waxing poetic?

Seems to me he had a decent season the year before and had started that year well, but that hit derailed it.
    You're waxing poetic. his best season was in 2003, and the injury occurred in 2006. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...F/FergRo00.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    You're waxing poetic. his best season was in 2003, and the injury occurred in 2006. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...F/FergRo00.htm
    The Donovan Darius clothesline tackle was in 2004, near the end of the season. He had become a somewhat fearless over the middle receiver, but was never the same after the Darius tackle.

He missed a good part of 2006 with a foot injury.

I don't know if Janis deserves the chance to be the #3 more than any other WR on the roster not named Jordy and Cobb. Our #3 will be they guy who wins that spot because of how they perform this summer, nothing more.

I root for Janis like I was rooting for Sherrod. If he can make the lineup and play, his gifts immediately make you better because the opponent has to deal with top level athletic traits opposing them. They have to do something to blunt the impact or ignore an advantage in a section of the field. You gain not just a new starter (who is young) but also add something to the field not everyone has.

I hope he proves worthy of the #3 slot, heck, I hope he makes #2 because he is a athletic freak.

But last year's production was based off an offense that wasn't operating normally. It used to be in a car with a radiator problem that you could run the heater to take some heat out of the engine compartment. You could limp along without boiling off all the water to get to help. Like Janis' 2015 production, it works, sometimes too well to be believed. But its not ideal, optimum nor the intended design of the engineers.

I hope he gets his gets his head on straight.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

What Janis deserves is a fair opportunity to earn the #3 spot or the #4 spot. Some think he hasn't been given that, or that he won't be given that. I have to say, in the second half of 2015, with Montgomery out and no other WR making any sort of positive impact at all, I thought MM should have given both Abbrederis and Janis more game opportunities to see if they could do anything. However, at this point MM knows he needs WRs who will step up and perform during games, and I doubt very much that he cares in what round the WR was acquired.

That said, I do think a coach can put too much emphasis on "earning it in practice". Generally, I think it is a good philosophy, but there are some players who, for whatever reason, are not particularly good practice players, but do perform in actual games. I think Janis has enough physical advantages and has shown enough game time flashes to be given an honest opportunity in games to see if he is one of those players.

Click bait article. Just shoddy journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I root for Janis like I was rooting for Sherrod. If he can make the lineup and play, his gifts immediately make you better because the opponent has to deal with top level athletic traits opposing them. They have to do something to blunt the impact or ignore an advantage in a section of the field. You gain not just a new starter (who is young) but also add something to the field not everyone has.

I hope he proves worthy of the #3 slot, heck, I hope he makes #2 because he is a athletic freak.

But last year's production was based off an offense that wasn't operating normally. It used to be in a car with a radiator problem that you could run the heater to take some heat out of the engine compartment. You could limp along without boiling off all the water to get to help. Like Janis' 2015 production, it works, sometimes too well to be believed. But its not ideal, optimum nor the intended design of the engineers.

I hope he gets his gets his head on straight.
    Are you saying that blasting the heat is no longer a remedy for overheating engine?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Are you saying that blasting the heat is no longer a remedy for overheating engine?
    Its been such a long time since I last employed the technique, that I am not sure it still works. I doubt the heating coil has changed that much, but I also believed that the cabin air filter was an attempt to pry $45 out of my wallet for no reason.

Imagine my surprise when I finally changed that thing and it clearly had been hard at work, keeping leaves, stones and seed pods from shooting out of the air vents.

But back on topic

#BuckleDownJeffJanis
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    What Janis deserves is a fair opportunity to earn the #3 spot or the #4 spot. Some think he hasn't been given that, or that he won't be given that. I have to say, in the second half of 2015, with Montgomery out and no other WR making any sort of positive impact at all, I thought MM should have given both Abbrederis and Janis more game opportunities to see if they could do anything. However, at this point MM knows he needs WRs who will step up and perform during games, and I doubt very much that he cares in what round the WR was acquired.

That said, I do think a coach can put too much emphasis on "earning it in practice". Generally, I think it is a good philosophy, but there are some players who, for whatever reason, are not particularly good practice players, but do perform in actual games. I think Janis has enough physical advantages and has shown enough game time flashes to be given an honest opportunity in games to see if he is one of those players.
    I suspect MM and his staff place a lot of value and reward players who perform well in practice with playing time. Perhaps Janis is the type of player who can struggle at times in practice but shine on game days?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He does not deserve anything, he has to earn it and if he can't run routes three years in we shall see you on the Raiders Eventually.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    He does not deserve anything, he has to earn it and if he can't run routes three years in we shall see you on the Raiders Eventually.
    Adams can't catch the ball so he should be gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The #3 WR spot should be a wide open competition. It should be nobody's spot to lose, and anyone's spot to win.

This should help:

Jeff Janis, shuffling some 60 yards downfield, tracked Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ pass like a center fielder Monday afternoon.

He had beaten Sam Shields, running two, three strides past the Packers' top cornerback as Rodgers escaped the pocket. With Rodgers’ pass nearly scraping the Don Hutson Center’s ceiling, Shields scrambled to recover. He closed on Janis just in time to jump for the football, mirroring a point guard boxing out for the rebound.

What happened next was the clearest déjà vu. With Janis and Shields both in the air near the left sideline, Rodgers’ pass bounced off Shields’ hands. The football deflected straight in the air as Shields fell to the ground. Janis settled underneath it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...rust/85533982/

He is still under-throwing Janis. Gotta get that figured out.

If it continues, I agree. But I think the numbers last year weren't as catastrophic for him as it looked at times. The whole team was down due to problems getting open and Rodgers inaccuracy.

We'll see.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bretsky can't make post that aren't just links and hating so he should be gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is still under-throwing Janis. Gotta get that figured out.
    I think its the shock from not having to compensate for Richard Rodgers/James Jones/Eddie Lacy speeds.