Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: JS-----JANIS deserves the chance to win the #3

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    More Janis: This time from those who hope he will succeed.

He closed an OTA session with a spectacular grab over and through Shields, with the ball bouncing off Shields first and then the People's Champion hauling it in for a TD.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...r-on-potential
    So they did bring back Kuhn after all.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think Mad would do well to emulate Rodgers. Make us all run our practice posts by him before we're allowed to post anything in the real thread.
    I recall a conversation with the Bluedog about having a proving grounds area of sorts. New posters would show would be required to show what they had to gain access to post in the Packers area. He came down from the mountain top and decides it was not cool. He wanted to view all poster like in a ant farm. I grinned and agreed with my White master.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Billy Schroeder and Favre had a very difficult relationship, but Favre had to make it work with Schroeder at the time because the depth at receiver was limited. Janis is very comparable to Schroeder. Both had/has athleticism, small school white kids, both played well on special teams, and both struggled to adapt to an NFL offense. I think Schroeder had an attitude though, for some reason that guy that he deserved more of everything. From what I remember he was quite high on himself.

Janis will get what he deserves. If he is doing everything he is supposed to, he will get playing time. The issue right now is that the Packers don't have a clear cut #3 receiver to compliment Nelson and Cobb. Adams has to prove it, Janis has to prove it, Montgomery is still injured and is more of a slot guy anyways. Abbey runs great routes but his injury history and his small frame make it seem really hard to commit a roster spot to this guy when it will be difficult for him to make it through a season. The guy has like 3-4 concussions in college and the NFL. All you here about is the depth at wide receiver but when you don't have a clear cut #3 because guys under performed last year doesn't scream depth to me. Last year with Nelson being out was an opportunity for guys to step up and the opposite happened.
    I've made the comparison to Schroeder before. Their careers are taking an eerily similar path--although Janis has already proven his worth on ST.

I don't think #3 is an issue. Somebody will step up. Hopefully, just from staying healthy. I think they have a lot of good candidates to fill the position. I don't think the fact that there's no clear cut one makes it an issue. I like their three deep depth chart at outside WR with Nelson, Adams, and Janis (with Nelson having the ability to play in the slot) and their three deep depth chart at slot WR with Cobb, Montgomery, and Abbrederis (with Cobb having the ability to play outside). Davis is a wild card. He has the deep speed to be an outside WR, but his size would indicate quick, slot WR.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I've made the comparison to Schroeder before. Their careers are taking an eerily similar path--although Janis has already proven his worth on ST.

I don't think #3 is an issue. Somebody will step up. Hopefully, just from staying healthy. I think they have a lot of good candidates to fill the position. I don't think the fact that there's no clear cut one makes it an issue. I like their three deep depth chart at outside WR with Nelson, Adams, and Janis (with Nelson having the ability to play in the slot) and their three deep depth chart at slot WR with Cobb, Montgomery, and Abbrederis (with Cobb having the ability to play outside). Davis is a wild card. He has the deep speed to be an outside WR, but his size would indicate quick, slot WR.
    In my head, I keep thinking of him as an Emmanuel Sanders type guy, but it turns out he's either 2 or 3 inches taller than Sanders. ESPN lists Davis as 6-2. Is that right?

dp

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    In my head, I keep thinking of him as an Emmanuel Sanders type guy, but it turns out he's either 2 or 3 inches taller than Sanders. ESPN lists Davis as 6-2. Is that right?
    Davis is listed at 6'1" on most sites, supposedly at the combine they measured him at 6' 1-1/8". He has some height,

I'm starting to back away from some of the hype on Davis. A consistent remark about him is that he has very good top end speed but accelerates slowly. He is said to be slow out of breaks, needing several steps to generate speed. These are consistent with his reputation as an accomplished long jumper, where they build speed more slowly than a true sprinter. Numerous reports say he will be a valuable kick returner, and more of a one-trick pony as a receiver.

Whether the Packers keep him on the 53 man roster or try to get him to the practice squad may depend on whether they decide to use him as their primary kickoff returner, or someone else like Montgomery or Janis.

He very well could be a preseason game star, getting open deep for bombs from Hundley, working against defensive backs that won't be making anyone's roster. Fans will clamor for him to make the Packers final roster, and will be upset when he doesn't.

Blog Entries
    Everybody sells Abby short; if he stays healthy he makes the team and contributes IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Everybody sells Abby short; if he stays healthy he makes the team and contributes IMO
    So you are saying he starts the year on IR?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

number 3? he's fighting for the 5 or 6 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    The problem is, nothing in his history gives me any confidence that will happen.

When he was drafted, I said I expected he would hang around for a few years, be injured often and ultimately be released without making any significant impact. I will stick with that opinion. I recognize that he has talent, I just don't think his body will allow him to use it in the NFL